• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC" part 3

Klopp's done it again. Just as he did at Dortmund. He's used the asthmatic drugs once too often and destroyed a squad.

Buvac left Liverpool because Klopp wouldn't listen to his advice prior to the 2017/18 season they crashed and burned. He warned Klopp "not to go nuclear" that summer and Klopp ignored him. His replacement Lijnders is a nodding dog.

Shearer saying - I've said it all season they're a yard slower.....
Hmmmm.
Maybe the media all know they're off the juice, but dare not say.
Just like they all know who Banksy really is.???
I'm not going to say that PEDs haven't been a contributing factor, but personally I think it's too easy to attribute their recent decline to this alone.

As I mentioned earlier, Klopp relies on a system that require intensity: constantly pressing in twos and threes and a high line with full backs pushed up.

They're unable to play like that week in, week out due to the age of some of their stars and the impact the intensity of their play has had on them.

Elliot does not have the characteristics or experience needed to be a central midfielder, nor does Carvalho. Without the intensity, teams have much more space.

This highlights the flaws of their back line, which has previously thrived on not really having to defend because the whole team snuffed out many chances.

Players like van Dijk now appear to not want to risk before the WC, too. As long as they keep falling behind, they're going to have to battle to get into games.

Their wider players of the front three now appear to hug the line as well, which I can only surmise is to make up for the lack of width due to FBs being limited.

Let's be realistic, they'll eventually rekindle form at some point (City and Ajax - everything alright again, yes?), but their problems are much deeper.

Either Klopp will need to be flexible with their approach or their owners will need to stump up more cash to bring in a fair few new midfielders that they rely on.

If I was a RS fan, I wouldn't be feeling too confident, as the chances of either of the above significantly happening may be slim because of their model.

I'm not going to say that PEDs haven't been a contributing factor, but personally I think it's too easy to attribute their recent decline to this alone.

As I mentioned earlier, Klopp relies on a system that require intensity: constantly pressing in twos and threes and a high line with full backs pushed up.

They're unable to play like that week in, week out due to the age of some of their stars and the impact the intensity of their play has had on them.

Elliot does not have the characteristics or experience needed to be a central midfielder, nor does Carvalho. Without the intensity, teams have much more space.

This highlights the flaws of their back line, which has previously thrived on not really having to defend because the whole team snuffed out many chances.

Players like van Dijk now appear to not want to risk before the WC, too. As long as they keep falling behind, they're going to have to battle to get into games.

Their wider players of the front three now appear to hug the line as well, which I can only surmise is to make up for the lack of width due to FBs being limited.

Let's be realistic, they'll eventually rekindle form at some point (City and Ajax - everything alright again, yes?), but their problems are much deeper.

Either Klopp will need to be flexible with their approach or their owners will need to stump up more cash to bring in a fair few new midfielders that they rely on.

If I was a RS fan, I wouldn't be feeling too confident, as the chances of either of the above significantly happening may be slim because of their model.
It's an organisation that's lost its way. Klopp isn't as intense, the players are ageing, the younger ones coming in aren't good enough, and Nunez is an expensive flop for the huge cash paid out.

Diaz is a big absence for them. But they need more than him to get trophies this season.

Liverpool are gone for another generation. Arsenal will be City's challengers for the next few seasons.

What’s all this nonsense about FSG’s tight purse?

They’ve had one of the highest total wages in the prem for ages with Salah earning 400k a week, a wage only matched or exceeded by De Bruyne Haaland and Ronaldo

They’ve paid more than almost every PL team on agent fees under Klopp

They’ve spent world record fees at CB and goalkeeper more than doubling the existing world record fee at the time for a goalkeeper and by 50% for a CB.

Last season FSG bought Diaz in January allowing Klopp to have 7 attacking options (Salah Mane Firmino Diaz Jota Minamino Origi) five of whom were world class giving him the best depth of attacking options out of anyone in the league.

He’s not been forced to sell anyone since Coutinho, and has been allowed to keep players until their contracts expired (Wijnaldum, Can) or they’ll probably retire (Milner, Henderson ).

They’ve paid huge fees outside their world record fees for players like Nunez (80) Diaz (50) Jota (50) Keita (65) Fabinho (40) Konate (40) Oxlade Chamberlain (40) Thiago (30) to allow Klopp to build the squad he wants funded almost completely without any sales.

They have world class players sat on their bench in almost every position on the pitch that cost more than Everton’s record signing.

They just simply cannot cry poverty. It’s absolutely ridiculous. Whatever metric you want to look at they are one of the richest teams in the world and have spent more than the majority of clubs in world football trying to keep themselves at the level they want to be at. It really is utter delusion for any single one of them to think they’ve somehow been hard done by or that they’ve not got the resources to match other teams. They’ve been playing chequebook football for years, buying trophies, absolutely obliterating most of the competition in the PL and in Europe. They’re just annoyed that City also did the same but did it a bit better.

Last edited:

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back