Edson Buddle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buddle impressing in trial

Sources close to Everton Football Club tell us that Edson Buddle is impressing many at Finch Farm during his trial at Everton.

The 30 year old US striker arrived at the Blues’ training complex last week, and has made a good impression on coaching staff and players alike.

Having scored almost every other game for LA Galaxy, and having made two substitute appearances at the 2010 World Cup, he could be the striker to end Everton’s goal drought.

Some of you lads don't want to buy that Buddle is a quality striker. Let me put it this way, if he was the exact same player but born in Brazil or anywhere else than America, he'd be a 10-mill striker. But since he's from the US, he's barely looked at. Take it from us Galaxy fans, he's got talent...

Thanks! Good news!

Oh - and again, West Ham. Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers. Hands off (unless he screws the pooch the rest of the week).

Robbie Rogers just got his worker's permit, and Ream most likely getting his. So, good sign for Buddle if he passes the rest of the week.

Are there any American players with non-American sounding names?

Just had a look, there are actually about four. I have a suspicion some USA parents name their children so that they sound cool for the announcer.

Lets just drop 15 mill on some lid and have done with it! The only thing worse then not having a quality striker, is talking about strikers we are not going to buy.

*yes i do see the flaw in my plan.

Edson Buddle's worth £10M and we're getting for zip*

"arbitrary Americanism = 5 points.

Are there any American players with non-American sounding names?
Just had a look, there are actually about four. I have a suspicion some USA parents name their children so that they sound cool for the announcer.

CJ Sapong
Graham Zusi
Oguchi Onyewu
Eric Lichaj
Steve Cherundolo

...among others....

CJ Sapong
Graham Zusi
Oguchi Onyewu
Eric Lichaj
Steve Cherundolo

...among others....

Thank you Kay. I mean really?
The US team is one of the few countries around where the team is made up of players of various ethnic and cultural backgrounds and names that reflect that. What does an "American sounding name" even mean?

The US team is one of the few countries around where the team is made up of players of various ethnic and cultural backgrounds and names that reflect that. What does an "American sounding name" even mean?

John Wayne
Chuck Norris

All of those are American sounding except for big Oguchi.

It was just a little humour.

All of those are American sounding except for big Oguchi.

It was just a little humour.

Nah, you're pretty much right. Even Oguchi is called Gooch. No one calls him Oguchi.

At least we're not Canadian. Hockey nicknames, for some reason, consist of a shortened form of the first or last name with the "ie" or "y" sound added on at the end. Patrick becomes Patty. Kovalchuk becomes Kovvie. And when they don't have a name suitable for the ie, they get named after some quintessentially Canadian animal. Johan Hedberg is "Moose."

Nah, you're pretty much right. Even Oguchi is called Gooch. No one calls him Oguchi.

At least we're not Canadian. Hockey nicknames, for some reason, consist of a shortened form of the first or last name with the "ie" or "y" sound added on at the end. Patrick becomes Patty. Kovalchuk becomes Kovvie. And when they don't have a name suitable for the ie, they get named after some quintessentially Canadian animal. Johan Hedberg is "Moose."

Well, Moose got his name from the team he played for before making it in the NHL.

But yeah, Canadians are like Italians from Jersey, you have a name, attach a "y" or "ie" suffix and that's you're nickname. Like Mr. Kearnsie.

That's basically what we do too, particularly footballers. I mean, look at me.

I was just imagining the American players being announced by Michael Buffer and they would sound infinitely cooler than most English names. Working out what makes them 'American sounding' is the fun of it really, I wasn't being cheeky.

There is a lot of ignorance being spewed here.

First off, Buddle wasn't signed by Birmingham last year because he couldn't get a work permit. That still could have been the problem with West Ham. Acquiring a work permit has been difficult for him because you need to be a regular international for a while, which he wasn't since the U.S.' previous manager insisted on a speed forward to stretch the defense and counter-attack, so he used Robbie Findley more regularly instead. As a result Finley was eligible for a work permit, and Nottingham Forest signed him. If you just compare the two players on ability, it's not even close, Buddle is the vastly superior player. He's far better scoring with his head, feet, and is the better passer because of his superior football I.Q. As a result it was always a source of frustration to most U.S. fans that Findley started over Buddle. But because he did, Findley got the better club opportunity. You can't put all stock in club affiliation as a result, unless you think U.S. managers are world class. If so, the next time you have a managerial opening I expect the name Bob Bradley to be bandied about.

Secondly, the reason why Buddle ended up a club like Ingolstadt, was at the time they were buried in the Bundesliga II, they desperately wanted to survive, so they spent a decent amount of money at midseason on that objective, and Buddle took advantage so he could gain financial security after years toiling in MLS on modest wages. The move worked for Ingolstadt as they were much better on the field w/ him allowing them to avoid relegation, and it worked for Buddle from a short-term financial standpoint. However, it hasn't worked from a career standpoint because he has feuded with the coach this season, he's not playing for much of importance, and his goal record doesn't exactly make him appear to be a player who could compete in the EPL. But what do you expect him to do when his team has significant possession disadvantages and provides the service of a bottom level BL II bottom-feeder, score 20 goals? He had the highest scoring rate on the team, without taking PK's. He's done better than anyone else in a situation that doesn't fit his skills. At Everton he'd get MUCH better service, especially whilst teaming back up with Donovan who as you've seen is among the better crossers in the league, and Buddle has the heading ability Cahill used to possess to take advantage.

You should hope that Everton lawyers can obtain a work permit for Buddle because Moyes knows more than the posters here. This is a very shrewd move he's attempting to make on a tight budget to improve your woeful striking. Moyes is a smart guy. He's stated before that work permits have drastically limited opportunities for American footballers in England and he would have signed many more over the years if it weren't for that barrier. He's not a follower.

You make may good and valid points here.

The only thing you overlook is that we already have a few strikers on the books that in my opinion (one from an MLS team season ticket holder and follower of the league) is that Buddle isn't any better than them.

I'm not saying he's gash by any stretch. Just that I'd rather see Vellios or Straq get a run or Big Vic see more minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back