Europa League?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marsh

Player Valuation: £50m
Just watching Spurs and L'pool in Europe tonight has made me want us to get into europe this season even more.
I Know you have to play like half a season to win the Europa League but we need them european nights at goodison!!!

Whats your thoughts on the europa league? Like it or Don't want it due to number of games and loads of sunday premier league games.

Just watching Spurs and L'pool in Europe tonight has made me want us to get into europe this season even more.
I Know you have to play like half a season to win the Europa League but we need them european nights at goodison!!!

Whats your thoughts on the europa league? Like it or Don't want it due to number of games and loads of sunday premier league games.

My thoughts are if we qualify, we should be competitive to win, worse teams then us have.

I want a trophy!

the format is silly,silly,silly...i'd go back to straight knock out...at least then its different to champs league

Champions League or nothing for me. We simply don't have the squad to play 16 extra games a season. We couldn't even put out a B team good enough to beat Leeds nevermind some of the better teams in Europe. The financial rewards aren't enough to make it worth while playing, especially when it costs the club to travel to far flung places in Eastern Europe/Russia. There is an argument that it would be a useful competition to bring youth through but not if they are going to get stuffed like the Benfica farce last time.

the format is silly,silly,silly...i'd go back to straight knock out...at least then its different to champs league

i liked the old format with 5 teams and you only play everything once, it was a bit luck of the draw as we drew the closer teams away and the teams like zenit at home, but it was really unique. they seriously need to scrap this whole 3rd champs league dropping into the tournament, the losing qualifiers should go in because it's harsh becoming champions and only getting one crack of the whip. but finishing 3rd in your group is eliminated, it's a stupid idea.

It's not worth competing properly in that tournament if it limits your chances of qualifying for Europe "properly" by finishing in the top four domestically.

If we finish 7th and qualify, I'd say go at it full guns blazing as it's a long shot that we'd make the jump to 4th in one season from that kind of finish. But if we finished 5th then I'd seriously consider playing the reserves in the Europa League and look to progress one step further.

There's no money in the Europa League worth talking about, and to be frank there's very little prestige in winning it either.

If we were to get lucky with injuries, being in the Europa league could be the catalyst that gives us momentum in the league. In 07/08 we were boss all through winter and all the way up until we went out against Fiorentina in March. Immediately after that game is when the wheels fell off in the league, fourth place-wise. We were really starting to look like front runners for fourth before that game.

Glad to see so many sensible supporters here.

Given our size of squad, we simply cannot afford to compete in this Mickey Mouse cup.

Champions League or nothing for me.

Champions League or nothing for me. We simply don't have the squad to play 16 extra games a season. We couldn't even put out a B team good enough to beat Leeds nevermind some of the better teams in Europe. The financial rewards aren't enough to make it worth while playing, especially when it costs the club to travel to far flung places in Eastern Europe/Russia. There is an argument that it would be a useful competition to bring youth through but not if they are going to get stuffed like the Benfica farce last time.

I get what you mean but i want us in europe wether it be europa league or champions league! I doubt we'll get the champions league places so you'll have to be hoping we don't finish 5th or 6th or win a cup!!

It's not worth competing properly in that tournament if it limits your chances of qualifying for Europe "properly" by finishing in the top four domestically.

If we finish 7th and qualify, I'd say go at it full guns blazing as it's a long shot that we'd make the jump to 4th in one season from that kind of finish. But if we finished 5th then I'd seriously consider playing the reserves in the Europa League and look to progress one step further.

There's no money in the Europa League worth talking about, and to be frank there's very little prestige in winning it either.

More prestige than Everton have experienced in about 20 years though

More prestige than Everton have experienced in about 20 years though

Yeah but the odds of us winning it are slim to none anyway, and even if we did win it it'd be on a par with getting out of the group stages of the Champions League in terms of respectability.

It's like winning the League Cup - nobody is really arsed and you look like a right t*t if you celebrate it!

I look at it as "Risk & Reward" - is the risk of losing domestic progress in the league worth the slim chance of winning a sub-standard trophy.

Either way, without wishing to sound kopite-ish, our european nights are f*cking amazing when they get serious. I want more nights like Fiorentina and the nights we would have had had it not been for the "best ref in the world", so, so badly. Even if, as Artetafan states above, we'll have lost them before we get on to the field. EL or CL, not even arsed one bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.