Everton’s worst best 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul Gerrard & Richard Wright both ranked as Englands best up and coming goalkeepers when we signed them! I'd put either if them ahead of Westerveld!

Graveson on his second spell couldnt run

Roysten Drenthe maybe too?

I never saw him play but i noticed Kenny Sansom had a brief spell at us just before i started getting interested
And pat jennings

I saw Curran play several times here on the south coast, world class or completely abysmal, sometimes both in the same game.
Spot on. His sub on appearance IIRC was to pick up the ball by the dugout at GP, ran to the Bullens Rd stand and somehow kicked the ball out!!

He was very good in his loan spell which convinced us to sign him!!

For a long time I have considering the fact we have had a lack of truely world class players at Everton. Only Kanchelskis and teenage Rooney meet that criteria in the modern day.
However we have had an abundance of good players that were well past their best while gracing the everton shirt. Wondered if anyone could improve on this list
pretty sure defensively there are players I have missed:

Gk - Westerveld
Rb - Sidibe (World Cup winner, bit part loan player)
Cb - Ashley Williams (stretching it a little)
Cb - gough
Lb - Kenny sansom
Rm - James
Cm - rooney (second spell)
Cm - gascoigne
Lm - ginola
Cf - e’to
Cf - mark hughes

Who have I missed?
Tom Davies is well past his best. It was one game against City.

Isn't the idea here to pick players who are actually good or had a decent career before and/or afterwards but didn't hit many/any high notes whilst here? It kind of rules Koldrup/Rondon etc. out.
I think Kroldrup is a decent example really. He had a decent career in Serie A and was an international player but here he was told he couldn't head a ball and binned off after 2 games.

I don't think so.

If it was our flat out worst team ever we wouldn't have people like Rooney and Eto in it.

I think Kroldrup is a decent example really. He had a decent career in Serie A and was an international player but here he was told he couldn't head a ball and binned off after 2 games.

Imho he sort of a had a mediocre career, an international during a period of decline for Denmark and to have less than 150 club appearances in 6 years after Everton just rings alarm bells for me. He would definitely make it into a team of the worst buys ever though for us.

If it was our flat out worst team ever we wouldn't have people like Rooney and Eto in it.

Imho he sort of a had a mediocre career, an international during a period of decline for Denmark and to have less than 150 club appearances in 6 years after Everton just rings alarm bells for me. He would definitely make it into a team of the worst buys ever though for us.

Cant really be classed as the worst buys ever as we recouped a majority of the cash we spent whereas:-

Naisse 13.5 million and $60k per week on wages returned fee $NIL

He whom cannot be named 45 million and $100k per week, returned fee will be $NIL

Cenk Tosun 27 million $70k per week wages and a throw away wig, returned fee will be NIL

Given the last six years this list could go on forever, Iwobi at $34 million and $70k per week, but there is a chance we may get a fee for him?

Gascoigne and Ginola were world class, but I don't know why the others get a mention. Even Mark Hughes. Very good at his
best, but not really world class, imo.
We can't use world class, because we wouldn't be able to do an 11.

We have only ginola, Gascoigne, Rooney, Kanchelskis eto'o & possibly James who were at one point considered world class.

Think we have to do just players who were at one stage good players who had a good career but poor when we got them.

So John Collins, Slaven Bilic etc are good shouts

GK
LB
CB Bilic
CB Matterazti
RB
LM James
CM Gascoigne
RM Kanchelskis
CM Ginola
CF Rooney
CF Eto'o

Can't think of full.backs or a keeper that fit the criteria

As in David Weir?

Why? He came from Hearts and was very good for us.
Yes he was great ( I certaily rated him) , but then stayed way past his best, too and was dog slow.

The same is true of Barry. Great player - natural football great on the ball (all true of Weir), just really struggling for pace at that level by the end of his run.

GK
LB
CB Bilic
CB Matterazti
RB
LM James
CM Gascoigne
RM Kanchelskis
CM Ginola
CF Rooney
CF Eto'o

Can't think of full.backs or a keeper that fit the criteria
Richard Wright is about the best shout for GK, it's actually the position where I think we have done the best in, Big Nev, Martyn, Howard and now Pickford even Myhre was ok, Wright had major hype about him coming from arsenal and talked about as England's future turned out to be pants.

Cant really be classed as the worst buys ever as we recouped a majority of the cash we spent whereas:-

Naisse 13.5 million and $60k per week on wages returned fee $NIL

He whom cannot be named 45 million and $100k per week, returned fee will be $NIL

Cenk Tosun 27 million $70k per week wages and a throw away wig, returned fee will be NIL

Given the last six years this list could go on forever, Iwobi at $34 million and $70k per week, but there is a chance we may get a fee for him?

You're just getting hung up with the largest numbers there. Koldrup's price was up around our record transfer fee at the time, he played 2 games and left for 50% of what we paid. That 50% was also a lot of money back then.

Klaassen played 16 games and we cut loose for 50% less. Cenk Tosun played 58 games and scored 11 goals, Niasse 42/9 goals. Don't get me wrong they would both make a worst buy list but least they contributed unlike Koldrup who has to be the definition of a bad buy.

Iwobs has 76 apps. 6 goals and while he may fall smack bang in the worst buy category, who knows Newcastle may sign him in Jan for 25+ Mill. He can't be put into the Bolasie class of buys just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.