Match Thread Everton 0-0 Liverpool - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everton created the better changes and kept themselves in good order defensively, and I didn't expect much from this weird, alternative reality pandemic PL restart, so things went better than I'd anticipated. Certainly I'm more pleased (or less disappointed) than many here but again, I think this whole restart arrangement is inane; the lack of injuries to our players is reason enough for me to feel pleased by the result.

My problem with the tactic is that it is HUGE risk for very little reward.

If we succeeded in beating their first press the ball then just went to the left / right back, who hoofed it up the pitch, something Pickford could have done immediately without any risk!

I understand the theory to keep the ball on the floor and try to play from the back but if we're just gonna launch the ball forward under pressure anyway I dont see the point in it
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. We dallied on the ball, inviting a press from the opposition to the point that pickford or defender needed to hack it up the field anyway!

Maybe early days in the tactic, but I feel that if teams get wise to this, we dont have the players to execute this cleanly and it will bite us.

Watching Liverpool play out from the back, we dont press so high, so they have plenty of time and space to pass it out. I think if the team is high pressing, you dont do this!

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. We dallied on the ball, inviting a press from the opposition to the point that pickford or defender needed to hack it up the field anyway!

Maybe early days in the tactic, but I feel that if teams get wise to this, we dont have the players to execute this cleanly and it will bite us.

Watching Liverpool play out from the back, we dont press so high, so they have plenty of time and space to pass it out. I think if the team is high pressing, you dont do this!
Pretty sure the ploy was to entice players forward to enforce the press, leaving 2v2 at the back for the punt forward. Ricky got 2 good chances from it second half

Pretty sure the ploy was to entice players forward to enforce the press, leaving 2v2 at the back for the punt forward. Ricky got 2 good chances from it second half
Yes, agree it enticed them on like a trap. The passes have to be spot on though or they are straight in. It is high risk.

Yes, agree it enticed them on like a trap. The passes have to be spot on though or they are straight in. It is high risk.
Yeah. But the point I was making was that we weren't really trying to play out from the back, which would have been high risk. The end ball was always the hoof, invariably from the keeper and I reckon they were specifically told not to take risks

I though Carlo got it spot on. We looked fit, the players were focused and followed the game plan perfectly and actually, for the first time in years they played the opponent and not the occasion. We never seem to get that little bit of luck in derby's and how Mike Dean is allowed to ref one is beyond me but the things that were within our control we took care of and did right and that's something Everton hasn't done much of over the last few years

I though Carlo got it spot on. We looked fit, the players were focused and followed the game plan perfectly and actually, for the first time in years they played the opponent and not the occasion. We never seem to get that little bit of luck in derby's and how Mike Dean is allowed to ref one is beyond me but the things that were within our control we took care of and did right and that's something Everton hasn't done much of over the last few years

The Digne free kick and yellow card being a case in point. He was very close to the tackle, saw he got the ball cleanly, and...

I was half expecting us to concede from that.

The Digne free kick and yellow card being a case in point. He was very close to the tackle, saw he got the ball cleanly, and...

I was half expecting us to concede from that.
someone posted on Twitter at the weekend that you get 3 types if Tranmere fans
1) Supports Tranmere, loves LFC & hates EFC
2) Supports Tranmere, loves EFC & hates LFC
3) Supports Tranmere, hates EFC & LFC

which ever he is he should be anywhere near a Merseyside derby.

Via Ref watch when some asked how they were getting away with it-making it up lol

INCIDENT: Liverpool made five substitutions but in four separate windows during the Merseyside derby, despite Premier League clubs only being allowed to make their five changes in three windows during a match.

James Milner came off in the first half, Takumi Minamino was withdrawn at half-time before Naby Keita and Roberto Firmino were replaced after 65 minutes. An injury to Joel Matip meant Dejan Lovren came on in a fourth separate window in the 73rd minutes. Why was this allowed?

VERDICT: Teams can use half-time as a 'free hit', meaning it does not count as one of the windows in which substitutions can be made. But water breaks are not a natural break. You can make a substitution at that time, but it wouldn't be a 'free hit' - I think it's a wise idea.

I wasn't expecting much, although I think that was probably the last opportunity we'll get to target Lovren in a derby.

Status
Not open for further replies.