Everton January 2022 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's 20 and has been in stretches good enough for Chelsea but they buy more and more players to stack and front of him and then bring a manager in who has a system that requires that only three players can play attacking roles. They'd have to be talking 50m and 150k+ a week for it to even be in range of being something we walk away from.

I know people have a tough time understanding that good players can sometimes be underused (not saying you specifically, but we'll see "why's he not in their team?" or "his goals per game stinks") so it is likely to be unpopular but we'd be missing out. Dortmund want him. That's a sign.

I agree with all of this. This leaves two questions on the table: can we outbid Dortmund, and should we try?

I tend to think that it's a bad idea on the face of it. If he's a winner, he'll probably go to Dortmund to win. If he's not, we can outbid Dortmund on the financials, but then we just get another mercenary on high wages.

The only way we can win here is if he is a winner that wants to be in the Prem, uses Dortmund to bid us up, then takes our deal. We should ask ourselves just how badly he wants to be in the Prem as a consequence. That would tell us a lot about whether or not we should even try.

I agree with all of this. This leaves two questions on the table: can we outbid Dortmund, and should we try?

I tend to think that it's a bad idea on the face of it. If he's a winner, he'll probably go to Dortmund to win. If he's not, we can outbid Dortmund on the financials, but then we just get another mercenary on high wages.

The only way we can win here is if he is a winner that wants to be in the Prem, uses Dortmund to bid us up, then takes our deal. We should ask ourselves just how badly he wants to be in the Prem as a consequence. That would tell us a lot about whether or not we should even try.
We can outbid Dortmund. Not saying we should get in a bidding war but money won't be an issue on that front (assuming we aren't totally skint).

I really think the money side is going to be a lot more favorable to the buyer than people think because Chelsea won't have much to say when he gets 10 starts all year. It's the next Salah/Rom/KdB.

We can outbid Dortmund. Not saying we should get in a bidding war but money won't be an issue on that front (assuming we aren't totally skint).

I really think the money side is going to be a lot more favorable to the buyer than people think because Chelsea won't have much to say when he gets 10 starts all year. It's the next Salah/Rom/KdB.

Again, agreed in general. The question is whether or not we want to tilt with Dortmund on money. If he's money motivated, he'll coast once he has the contract. You're also on this side of the pond, so I can reference Albert Haynesworth and you'll understand what I mean.

I think the demand will be there, and that we'll have to tilt. Everybody knows he has talent, because he proved it at Chelsea. He just can't get a game, because it's Chelsea and Abramovich always does this to young talent.

Again, agreed in general. The question is whether or not we want to tilt with Dortmund on money. If he's money motivated, he'll coast once he has the contract. You're also on this side of the pond, so I can reference Albert Haynesworth and you'll understand what I mean.

I think the demand will be there, and that we'll have to tilt. Everybody knows he has talent, because he proved it at Chelsea. He just can't get a game, because it's Chelsea and Abramovich always does this to young talent.
I tend to view wanting to get the hell out of a place because they won't play you/play you out of position as a positive. I know a lot of people still hold the "fight for your place" era near and dear but not for me. I don't expect he won't care if we signed him.

I tend to view wanting to get the hell out of a place because they won't play you/play you out of position as a positive. I know a lot of people still hold the "fight for your place" era near and dear but not for me. I don't expect he won't care if we signed him.

I also tend to agree with this. The problem is that he would have to be willing to come to a fixer-upper in the Prem rather than contend right away elsewhere. I don't know about you, but I would be sketchy about doing that if I had his talent. I bet his agent would agree.

You can get from us to a trophy contender, but why do that if you're motivated by trophies, can get to one and will play once there? Most people will measure his worth, in the end, on trophy count. I think that this is why other posters tell you that he's not a realistic option.

I agree with you that we should make him say "no", provided that we can tease out that he really wants to be in the Prem. It can't hurt to ask, as long as we're smart about lining up other options while we ask. It looks like we haven't always been good about that. That's an obvious growth area for the club.

I also tend to agree with this. The problem is that he would have to be willing to come to a fixer-upper in the Prem rather than contend right away elsewhere. I don't know about you, but I would be sketchy about doing that if I had his talent. I bet his agent would agree.

You can get from us to a trophy contender, but why do that if you're motivated by trophies, can get to one and will play once there? Most people will measure his worth, in the end, on trophy count. I think that this is why other posters tell you that he's not a realistic option.

I agree with you that we should make him say "no", provided that we can tease out that he really wants to be in the Prem. It can't hurt to ask, as long as we're smart about lining up other options while we ask. It looks like we haven't always been good about that. That's an obvious growth area for the club.
Well you see this is the big problem we have. We need to be a place where young talents like Hudson-Odoi for is a good place for them to come and get better or it is going to be quite hard for us to find top class players. Not saying he's top class yet but the best we can really do for now is sign players who might be that. The ones who already are go elsewhere.

So I agree convincing him is going to be tough but we need to start trying.

Hudson-Odoi is brilliant and absolutely the profile of player we should spend big on if we were able to.

However, under the current spending rules the only chance would be if Richarlison was sold.

Gomes is coming off the books at a similar number. Keane/Holgate/Mina will be losing at least one and if it is Yerry he's a high earner too. Delph will go. And maybe James too. The wage is not a hold up.

So while I appreciate the details and the accompanying condescending tone I have looked at it and don't think the wages are an issue so big that we can't discuss the possibility of bringing home here. I'd like for there to be a discussion of Hudson-Odoi just once where it doesn't immediately devolve into a finances conversation which we frankly don't know the details of.

Our wages to turnover right now is insanely bad. When we start to shift high earning players the idea isn’t then to lump more £100k wages back on there. That’s the very definition of dumb.

Hudson-Odoi is brilliant and absolutely the profile of player we should spend big on if we were able to.

However, under the current spending rules the only chance would be if Richarlison was sold.

I am right in saying people are expecting rules to be changed over the coming period?

We know that when a player is out of contract and moves on a free transfer there is always a hefty signing-on fee... is there also a signing-on fee when a player is transferred from club to another for a fee, IE when still under contract?
There very well can be one. Normally handing in a transfer request is a sign that the player is prepared to forego (or reduce their demands) on any sign on fee or even outstanding loyalty bonus that they would still be eligible for if selling was not initiated by the player.

I'd you're a big enough name and have a "decent" agent, you'll still trouser a wedge no matter how you go is my guessing. And who would move if it hit them too adversely in the pocket?

We need outs first. Hopefully with a bit of luck the suspended players circumstances will have been resolved. Tosun should be fit so maybe get rid of him with a nominal fee. He might be desperate by then as he wants to be in Turkey squad if they qualify for WC. Kenny needs to go if he gets a few games and doesn't make any howlers maybe Championship club will take a chance. Delph will unfortunately hang around until summer. Gbamin we should know by then whether there is something to work with or he needs replacing hopefully he has 5-8 games under his belt and doing ok. James if he plays a few and does ok I would keep until summer. The rest I would probably wait until summer to assess unless a silly money offer comes in.

As for ins. We definitely need a RB I would also like a LB on a short term contract but if it looks like Nkounkou is doing poorly on loan maybe someone more long term. If Tosun disappears a RF who can also play as a ST. Everything else can wait until next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.