Everton losses double in latest accounts as 'going concern' threat confirmed

For so long under Moyes we all thought if only we had money to spend we could step up and start winning trophies. We get money to spend and are now fighting, not to win trophies but to stay, not just to stay in the prem, but to not go bust! Everton

Having looked at the options I genuinely can't see how we as a club fix the position we are in whilst maintaining our Premier League status.

From the stadium thread but relevant here.

The fanbase could save us if they continue turning up and filling out the new stadium. Our revenues will dwarf every club at that level. But I think we’ll need to see a complete overhaul of the squad and wage bill before we can start to look upwards again. We’ll have to have a few seasons of matching the wage bill of clubs like Middlesbrough and Hull before we are back on an even keel. Sadly this almost certainly means stabilising in the Championship for a few seasons at best. I think this is the only realistic way of turning this around.

In short, I agree. I don’t think we can do it while remaining a Premier League club, we will need to nuke the wage bill.

Its bad, very, very bad.

From a step in the right direction last year to this, it just shows the absolute incompetence in the administration of this club.

The worrying thing about those loss figures is organically even continuing to sell our best players and raising finances we still posted that loss.

We're in big trouble, this cant continue.

I think things have actually gotten worse since that set of accounts.

For so long under Moyes we all thought if only we had money to spend we could step up and start winning trophies. We get money to spend and are now fighting, not to win trophies but to stay, not just to stay in the prem, but to not go bust! Everton
The thing is if Moyes at the time had this sort of money we squandered he'd not have even used it all, just strengthened where needed and made us even better. Jeez he got us to 4th on a budget at a time when the spending power of Man U v us was arguably bigger then than it is now in scale.

I think you have to try and take any positives you can from this.

It's evident that we have been so badly run for so long and fallen so far behind even championship standards, that anyone coming in with even the slightest level of competence should be able to do better.

Any new owner should probably focus mainly on the commercial side of things as that has apparently been neglected forever; so any evening slight improvement there should benefit the overall numbers.

Obviously the playing side is the best all and end all and this will need to be addressed, but if you remove that then lifting the commercial numbers has more of an impact on our bottom line.

It's going to be a long, slow process and will hurt, but it's the only way out of the incompetence of the Kenwright / Moshiri years