Everton News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Martinez: Important for Everton to get that winning feeling back via Royal Blue Mersey

GettyImages-526507486.0.jpg

Post-match comments from manager after Everton beat Bournemouth

Everton badly needed a win today, and even though they weren't convincing for large parts of this game, they did enough to get the three points on the day. For their part, AFC Bournemouth have secured their tenure in the Premier League for next season and weren't necessarily trying too hard either.

Roberto Martinez expressed his pleasure with three players who are all new faces to the senior side – Matthew Pennington and Oumar Niasse who started, and Kieran Dowell who came on for Ross Barkley.

"We saw the full debut of Pennington and I thought he was very impressive in a solid performance. He enjoys the art of defending and it is difficult to find young players of that calibre.

"To have someone like Oumar Niasse finally be able to make his full debut – something he has dreamed of since his arrival in January – was very important as well. It was vital for him to get an hour to build that relationship with the fans and the players.

"Then we were also able to see young Kieran Dowell, who is an exceptional talent, make his Premier League debut."

His comments on the overall performance –

"It is always important to get that winning feeling back and that was exactly what we did.

"We started the game well with Tom Cleverley producing a very good finish but then we felt hard done by Bournemouth's goal. I felt Matty Pennington is impeded and it was just in front of the linesman.

"But from that point on I thought it was long enough for us to get back and we got the winning goal.

"At times we had to dig deep and show a strong resilience. All in all, it was a hard-earned win, but a win that we needed."

Martinez also spoke out on the protesters that stayed behind after the game, as well as the aeroplane with a banner that flew over the ground just before halftime –

"I can understand (the protests). We've been through a very painful time. We had high hopes.

"We wanted to go to Wembley, to get into the final, we couldn't achieve that and we had eight defeats at home.

"I cannot hide that it's a disappointment for all of us. Not just the fans but the players and myself.

"We want to correct that, learn from those mistakes and clearly the concentration, from my point of view is to prepare the games we have in front of us and to get every point possible.

"I'm the manager and I am the one who takes responsibility. That's how it works."

He also went on to mention that he felt he could win the fans back over –

"We're in a results business and all I need to do is make sure we carry on showing that character and togetherness as a team and to make sure we get that winning feeling back.

"When you get the winning feeling back you see things in a different manner.

"Football is a game full of passion and emotions and we are a very special football club and you understand what comes when you haven't won enough football games at home and that's the reality. We have to face it.

"My intention is to win football games and to be successful. That doesn't change.

"It's a privilege and an honour to be manager of Everton.

"Three seasons here gives me a really good understanding of what is needed.

"We need to learn from the mistakes but the focus goes on to beating Leicester now and its as narrow minded as it has to be."

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton vs AFC Bournemouth: Extended Highlights via Royal Blue Mersey

GettyImages-526532384.0.jpg

All the goals, saves and more

Everton beat AFC Bournemouth 2-1 at Goodison Park to give embattled manager Roberto Martinez some relief. An early goal from Tom Cleverley was cancelled out within minutes by the visitors. It took Leighton Baines' first goal from open-play since January 2013 in the second half to seal the three points.

Click here to read our Instant Reaction after the game, and click here for Martinez's comments in the wake of the protests on the day. First an airplane with a banner flew over the ground just before half time, pitch invasions during the game and then a section of fans remained behind for nearly an hour and a half after the game.

New Everton owner Farhad Moshiri got a good view of it all, including the small group at the Gwladys Street that carried banners asking for chairman Bill Kenwright and Martinez to leave the club.

That aside, here are the highlights from the game.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton vs Bournemouth 2016: Live stream, start time, TV Schedule and How to Watch online via Royal Blue Mersey

GettyImages-499062004.0.jpg

It's the third meeting of these teams this season. So far, Everton have nabbed one point in the league and an FA Cup win. Can they get three more points?

There are only four fixtures left on Everton's schedule to finish up the awful 2015-16 football season and it really cannot come soon enough. I'm over these disappointing performances. Bring on the Euros. Bring on a new manager. And bring on whatever transfers await in the summer ahead.

On the positive side, it sounds as though the Toffees may give 18-year-old Kieran Dowell a go in the first team, which he has been pushing for a while now. And goalkeeper Tim Howard is set to make two final appearances in an Everton shirt. The fans should give him a warm send-off because, as bad as he was at moments this season, he was the least of the club's concerns and has been a great servant on Merseyside for a decade.

As for this game specifically, we could credit Bournemouth with ruining Everton's season back in November with that painful 3-3 draw. Although the team was likely doomed before that. Maybe their head man, Eddie Howe, would look good in blue. It's a thought. The last time the two teams faced-off was in the FA Cup in February. Everton dominated 2-0 that day and Joel Robles made a big penalty save.

Match Details

Date and Time – Saturday, April 30, 2016 @ 15:00 BST, 10 a.m. EST

Stadium – Goodison Park, Liverpool, England

Capacity – 39,572

Weather – 10°C/50°F, overcast, 38% chance of precipitation, 15 mph winds

How to Watch/Listen

Radio – Westwood One Sports, TalkSports Radio, Everton Match Centre

TV – DirecTV (channel 491)

Live Stream – NBC Sports Extra Time

Info from LiveSoccerTV

Lineups

Everton

TEAM NEWS: Here is how the Blues line-up for this afternoon's game against @afcbournemouth. #EFCvBOU pic.twitter.com/W2KmNCYy41

— Everton (@everton) April 30, 2016
Bournemouth

TEAM NEWS: @CallumWilson and @HarryArter2 return to the #afcb starting XI for #EVEBOU: https://t.co/vJmQUft09p pic.twitter.com/uGfEbOX0Pn

— AFC Bournemouth (@afcbournemouth) April 30, 2016

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Martinez understands Everton fans’ protest via NSNO

Roberto Martinez says he understands why Everton supporters protested after Saturday's victory over Bournemouth – but insists he is still the right manager to take the club forward.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Pennington eyeing further Everton starts via NSNO

Matthew Pennington is eyeing more appearances for Everton after he made his first Premier League start against Bournemouth on Saturday.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back