Everton News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everton Set to Break Wage Structure Under Farhad Moshiri via NSNO

Everton are ready to offer wages in excess of £100,000-a-week as they chase their UEFA Champions League dream, according to the Liverpool Echo.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

UEFA Euro 2016 Preview: Belgium via Royal Blue Mersey

GettyImages-451575806.0.jpg

Romelu Lukaku and the Red Devils are serious title contenders in a wide open UEFA European Championship field.

The Belgian national team has been in the ascendancy perhaps more than any European team in the last three years, and surely must be looking at UEFA Euro 2016 as a chance to complete their move into the international footballing elite.

The Red Devils made the quarterfinals at the 2014 FIFA World Cup, but were underwhelming in just about every match they played at the tournament. Marc Wilmots' men needed two late goals to best Algeria, an 88th minute winner to top Russia, and a late Jan Vertonghen winner to beat 10-man South Korea in the group stage. Kevin De Bruyne and Romelu Lukaku had to tally in added time to beat a resilient Tim Howard in the Round of 16 before going out to Argentina in the quarterfinals.

With the team's budding superstars two years more mature and the heart of the team largely the same, an improved outcome is a must for the Red Devils.

The Squad

Goalkeepers: Thibaut Courtois (Chelsea), Simon Mignolet (Liverpool), Jean-Francois Gillet (Mechelen)

Defenders: Toby Alderweireld (Spurs), Thomas Vermaelen (Barcelona), Jan Vertonghen (Spurs), Jason Denayer (Galatasaray), Thomas Meunier (Club Brugge), Christian Kabasele (Genk), Jordan Lukaku (Oostende), Laurent Ciman (Montreal Impact)

Midfielders: Radja Nainggolan (Roma), Axel Witsel (Zenit Saint Petersberg), Marouane Fellaini (Manchester United), Mousa Dembele (Spurs)

Forwards: Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City), Romelu Lukaku (Everton), Eden Hazard (Chelsea), Yannick Carrasco (Atletico Madrid), Dries Mertens (Napoli), Divock Origi (Liverpool), Christian Benteke (Liverpool), Michy Batshuati (Marseille)

Belgium has top-level talent at nearly every position. Courtois is a top-five goalkeeper in the world, not that he'll likely see much action with defenders like Alderweireld, Vermaelen, and Vertonghen in front of him. However, perhaps the only criticism that can be seriously levied against this team is its lack of impact players at full-back.

In the midfield, Marc Wilmots will probably look to Nainggolan and Witsel to control the center of the pitch. Both players are capable in all three thirds and currently ply their trade at top clubs across Europe.

Players such as De Bruyne, Hazard, Carrasco, and Mertens are listed as forwards, but will most likely play either out wide or in behind the main striker, likely Lukaku. The Everton striker struggled in the last few months of the club season, but he's had no such recent struggles for his country. The 23-year-old has scored in each of his last four appearances for Belgium.

If Lukaku struggles, having Origi and Benteke as backups is an attractive alternative.

Projected Lineup: Courtois; J. Lukaku, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Denayer; Witsel, Nainggolan; Hazard, De Bruyne, Mertens; Lukaku

Their Group

The Red Devils are in Group E with Italy, Ireland, and Sweden, none of whom should particularly scare Belgium.

The Italians have brought their worst squad to a major tournament in recent memory, the Irish did well to simply qualify for the tournament at all, and the Swedes lack significant talent past that of their talisman, Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Anything short of three victories in the group stage would be a disappointment.

Expectations

Winning the group would only be the first step for Belgium, who will likely consider anything short of a semi-final appearance a disappointment. Unfortunately for the Red Devils, if they and Germany each win their group and make it out of the Round of 16, they will meet in the quarterfinals. A win in the quarterfinals could very likely see Belgium meet France in the semis.

In all likelihood then, Belgium will have to beat perhaps the tournament's two major favorites, Germany and France, just to advance to the final.

The team's defense should be strong, with the Spurs pair of Vertonghen and Alderweireld renewing their partnership. The midfield should be well-controlled with two elite box-to-box midfielders at the heart of the team. Goals should flow with Lukaku coming off a career-best season and a host of dangerous attacking midfielders.

Clearly then, the team has the talent, but will it have the necessary steel? Missing captain Vincent Kompany due to injury will be a major blow, and Belgium fans certainly will not have forgotten the way the team failed to show up for much of the 2014 World Cup.

Belgium should be an elite team that contends for the European title at the Euros this summer. But can they finally live up to their potential?

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Priorities via Everton Arent We

Joel.jpg

Everton’s announcement that Ronald Koeman is set to take the reigns at the club is seemingly due “within the next 24 hours”. I’m sure I’m not alone when I say that the announcement by the club is on the back burner for me now as we are only waiting to be told what we already know. Instead of refreshing my Twitter feed constantly, as I have done over the past couple of weeks, I now find myself day dreaming about potential signings we could make once our rumoured war chest is unlocked.

I have had many conversations with friends and colleagues alike regarding which positions need addressing and I think most blues are in agreement that the positions that need most attention are that of goalkeeper, central midfield, left wing and of course, striker. Bearing in mind we have some youth players on the fringes of the first team who could be the answer, we would all probably be under the same assumption that we will inevitably sign players to primarily bolster these positions. Koeman isn’t well known for his trust in promoting youth unless absolutely necessary so I’m expecting the younger players to be loaned out or just stay within their respective youth squads.

The goalkeeper position for me is arguably the most important one to address as although I do rate Joel Robles somewhat, he isn’t the answer. I see him as a good, solid number 2. I’d be more than happy if he stayed at the club to be just that but after having a taste of being our first choice after the dropping of Howard, will he settle for the bench or instead seek to be number 1 elsewhere? There are a few goalkeepers of a higher ilk reportedly available this summer with Steve Mandanda being the most notable based on the fact he is out of contract in the summer and unwilling to sign a new deal before the Euros. The French goalkeeper would certainly be a great signing in my eyes. However, with funds more readily available will we be looking to make a greater statement of intent and bid highly on a goalkeeper already at a club? Reports of Joe Hart have been circling the internet along with Fraser Forster all being touted as Everton’s next man between the sticks.

The striker position is of similar importance as I’m sure we will all agree on, especially with a certain Belgian being all too happy to speak about his future elsewhere in the media. Lukaku has undoubtedly done himself no harm in getting that big money move to a club who is playing on the European stage with his goal scoring record this season. Many would question his ability to show up in the big games – the semi final at Wembley being the most notable. I am resigned to losing Big Rom this summer and what did we expect? He was always using us as a “stepping stone” as he was quick to point out when he signed. I for one would hope that the sale of such a promising player in the team would only spur us on to achieving great things next season.. Ring any bells? 2004/05? One can dream. There are a number of young promising strikers out there who may be open to a move – Breel Embolo, Vincent Janssen, Saido Berahino and maybe even Manchester City’s Kelechi Iheanacho. The latter of the quartet reportedly wanting £150,000 a week may even be enough to put Moshiri off considering he has only just emerged. 13 goals in your debut senior campaign is tremendous, with most coming off the bench meaning his goals per minutes ratio is one of the best in Europe, but does that warrant £150,000 a week? I’m not so sure.

I think we can all agree on one thing though, this summer is going to be a very interesting time to be a blue.. Will the “sleeping giant” be awoken? I certainly hope so, but only time will tell.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Wayne Rooney: ‘I’ll never play for another Premier League club’ via The Guardian

• Manchester United forward announces details of testimonial match
• José Mourinho: ‘This game will be a fitting tribute to all he has achieved.’
Wayne Rooney says he will not play for any other English club bar Manchester United, discounting the possibility of a late-career move back to Everton, after being given a ringing endorsement from his new manager, José Mourinho, and the encouragement to continue chasing down Sir Bobby Charlton’s scoring record at Old Trafford.

Related: Eric Bailly is José Mourinho’s first signing as Manchester United manager

Continue reading…
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Copa America 2016: Start times, TV schedule and live stream for Wednesday/Day 6 via Royal Blue Mersey

538204542.0.jpg

Brazil vs. Haiti, Peru vs. Ecuador in Group B action

The results of today's games at the Copa America will be closely watched by the members of Group A, including the United States and Colombia.

Yesterday was a good one for the stars and stripes. They won their first Copa America game since 1995, beating Costa Rica 4-0, and took control of their own fate in the tournament. In the other matchup, Colombia topped Paraguay 2-1. Those results put the Americans into second place in the group with a great chance of advancing to the quarterfinals; likely only needing a draw on Saturday to get there.

I say "likely" because if they do only get a draw, Costa Rica could possibly leap frog them in the standings if they can beat mighty Colombia…by six goals. So, yeah, it's safe to say a draw is all they need. A loss by the US, however, would knock the hosts out of the competition, so they need to be on their A-game against no. 39 Paraguay.

The winner of Group A (likely Colombia) faces the second place team of Group B. The second place team in Group A faces the winner of Group B.

Here are your Group B match-ups for today:

———————————————————————————————–

Brazil vs. Haiti

Match Details

Date and Time: Wednesday, June 8 at 7:30 p.m. EST/4:30 p.m. WST

Stadium: Camping World Stadium, Orlando, Florida, United States

Capacity: 70,000

Weather: 82°F, cloudy, 10% chance of rain, 65% humidity, winds ESE 10 mph

How to Watch

TV: FOX Sports 1, Univision, Unimas – United States

Premier Sports – United Kingdom

Live stream: fuboTV, FOX Soccer 2GO, FOX Sports GO, Univision Deportes

Info from LiveSoccerTV.com

———————————————————————————————

Ecuador vs. Peru

Match Details

Date and Time: Wednesday, June 8 at 10:00 p.m. EST/7:00 p.m. WST

Stadium: University of Phoeniz Stadium, Glendale, Arizona, United States

Capacity: 63,400

Weather: 101°F, sunny, 0% chance of rain, 14% humidity, winds WSW 11 mph

How to Watch

TV: FOX Sports 2, Univision, Unimas – United States

Premier Sports – United Kingdom

Live stream: fuboTV, FOX Soccer 2GO, FOX Sports GO, Univision Deportes

Info from LiveSoccerTV.com

—————————————————————————————————–

Group B standings

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-08%20at%2010.27.07%20AM.png

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton to begin Koeman era with new contracts for Barkley and Stones via Royal Blue Mersey

GettyImages-499062590.0.jpg

Farhad Moshiri ready to back his new manager by offering bumper deals to keep key stars.

Everton hope to mark the start of Ronald Koeman's tenure at Goodison Park by offering a new and improved contract to midfielder Ross Barkley, reports the Daily Telegraph.

Koeman is expected to be confirmed as Everton manager in the coming days having been tempted to quit Southampton by majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri.

Moshiri is ready to give Koeman significant funds to improve the squad at Goodison Park but is also ready to splash the cash on keeping the existing team intact.

Barkley's existing £60,000-a-week deal has two more years to run but the England midfielder looks set to be rewarded with a new long-term contract with significant payrise.

The 22-year-old has never shown any inclination to leave his boyhood club so agreeing terms shouldn't be too complicated.

Keeping John Stones at the club may be tougher, though Moshiri's arrival and Koeman's imminent appointment offers Everton hope.

Had Roberto Martinez still been in charge Stones would certainly have left, with Chelsea and both Manchester clubs rumoured to be interested.

However, one of Koeman's first jobs will be to talk to Stones and try and convince him to stay at Goodison Park. The Dutchman would be the perfect mentor for the former Barnsley man having been a fine ball-playing centre back himself.

Stones would also be in line for a significant payrise should he commit to the club and combined with Moshiri's ambitious vision for the future it may well be enough to persuade him to stay.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Darron Gibson signs new Everton contract via Royal Blue Mersey

GettyImages-505079872.0.jpg

Ireland midfielder signed up until 2018

Everton midfielder Darron Gibson has signed a new contract at Goodison Park through to the summer of 2018.

The 28-year-old has made 68 appearances in all competitions for Everton since joining from Manchester Utd for around £250,000 in January 2012.

However, Gibson has been dogged by injury in recent seasons and has made just 27 appearances for the Toffees over the past three years.

Thirteen of those came during a difficult campaign last time out for Gibson, was also handed a 20-month driving ban in September for hitting a cyclist while drink-driving and fleeing the scene.

The news of a new contract therefore is something of a surprise, with many expecting the Derry-born midfielder to leave the club this summer once his current deal expired.

Gibson clearly has talent and excellent technique, demonstrated during his early performances when he became something of a lucky mascot, losing just two of his first 23 games in a royal blue shirt.

Unfortunately Gibson has struggled to fully regain fitness since suffering a cruciate knee ligament injury playing for Ireland in October 2013.

We can only hope this new deal, presumably approved by incoming boss Ronald Koeman, can give Gibson a fresh start and help him return to something close to his best.

Speaking to the official site about his new contract, Gibson said:

"I am absolutely delighted. I had a few options but as long as Everton were giving me the option I was never going anywhere else. People say, ‘Once Everton has touched you,’ and it is true. It is a great club, there are great people here and the dressing room is great, so I was never signing anywhere else.

"Obviously, I have had a tough few years but thankfully the Club have stuck by me and I have signed for another two years, so hopefully the next two years go a lot better.

"The fans are unbelievable and it is a great Club. Signing for Manchester United four-and-a-half years ago was a great move for me and I am delighted to commit my future here.

"The first year I came, I had a great season but obviously the rest I have been injured quite a bit. Last year I was fit but didn’t play too much, so it is nice to know the Club and the fans are still behind me.

"There have been highs and lows. I just want to put the past behind me and look forward to the next two years."

"The last game of the season was brilliant with the young lads coming in and doing very well. It is an exciting time ahead and everyone will be motivated to push on and do as well as we possibly can."

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back