Everton News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the Mayor just drop a hint about Everton’s new stadium location? via Royal Blue Mersey

524984068.0.jpg

Sounds like north docks it is

An innocuous tweet from the Mayor of Liverpool has set tongues wagging this Friday in the blue half of Merseyside.

Joe Anderson had met with Everton owner Farhad Moshiri and chairman Bill Kenwright about two weeks ago regarding the location of the Toffees’ proposed new stadium, but results of the discussion were never made public. The overwhelming choices remain the docklands area overlooking the Mersey, and the less popular Stonebridge Cross.

However, after Anderson tweeted today admiring the work done on Liverpool’s Anfield home, an Everton fan asked him about the view of the docks from the new stand and the Mayor’s response was a loaded answer for those who like to read into such things.

Just visited the new LFC stand at Anfield amazing the speed in its construction, fantastic view of the pitch for fans they will be chuffed

— Joe Anderson (@joe4metromayor) August 4, 2016

@joe4metromayor Can you see the north docks from up there?

— S Fendley (@sfendley77) August 4, 2016

@sfendley77 You certainly can and its great view, but it could be a much better view soon

— Joe Anderson (@joe4metromayor) August 4, 2016

Don’t forget though, Anderson is up for reelection this year and his Twitter game has been on fleek lately, as this encounter will show.

@joe4metromayor Eh Joe, if i brought a load of ale round to yours and we sank a few, would you spill the beans over everton's stadium plans?

— Paul Martin (@marto_paul) August 5, 2016

@marto_paul What time kidder?

— Joe Anderson (@joe4metromayor) August 5, 2016

@joe4metromayor you've got my vote Joe. Very Funny reply

— Paul Martin (@marto_paul) August 5, 2016

So there’s something to think about as we ponder who will replace Muhamed Besic for the first half or more of the season.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Koeman excited to lead Everton out at Goodison via NSNO

Everton boss Ronald Koeman is excited to lead his side out at Goodison Park for the first time when the Blues take on Espanyol tomorrow afternoon.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton insist star striker Romelu Lukaku is not for sale as Chelsea’s public pursuit ruffles feathers via Daily Mail

Everton's directors have been left angry by Chelsea's public pursuit of Lukaku, who scored 25 goals last term, having made the switch from Stamford Bridge in the summer of 2014.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Goalkeeper Russell Griffiths headed to Cheltenham Town on half-season loan via Royal Blue Mersey

473618352.0.jpg

He joins the League Two side ahead of their first game on Saturday

Everton’s 20-year-old goalkeeper Russell Griffiths is headed to League Two side Cheltenham Town on a half-season loan that ends at the beginning of January, according to the team website.

LOAN: Good luck to #EFCU23 goalkeeper Russell Griffiths, who has joined @CTFCofficial until 2 January. pic.twitter.com/56Rg358Z17

— Everton (@everton) August 5, 2016

The U23 player began last season on loan with Northwich Victoria in the Northern Premier League (seventh tier of English football) before later moving to the National League (fifth tier) and spending time with Halifax Town.

As is to be expected of such a young keeper, he is yet to make his senior team debut, but he was named on the bench as an 18-year-old a few times during the 2014/15 season as Joel Robles’ backup when Tim Howard was struggling with injury.

We're happy to finally announce the loan deal of @Everton GK Russell Griffiths!
Full story: https://t.co/7c372cGd1a pic.twitter.com/bIq9mfv1Ii

— Cheltenham Town FC (@CTFCofficial) August 5, 2016

However, when it comes to the pecking order of goalkeepers at Goodison Park, it appears new boss Ronald Koeman may prefer the Polish-born Mateusz Hewelt over Griffiths. Hewelt traveled with the first team to Dresden and was also named to the bench for the Wayne Rooney testimonial ahead of Griffiths.

Cheltenham Town’s season begins on Saturday against Leyton Orient and Griffiths will be eligible to participate.

Meet new loan signing Russell Griffiths as he spoke exclusively to Robins TV after signing for the club: https://t.co/Yv4Liwdi1r #ctfc

— Cheltenham Town FC (@CTFCofficial) August 5, 2016

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton have ditched me after 25 years, says Tony Hibbert: ‘It’s no longer the People’s Club’ via Daily Mail

Tony Hibbert and fellow local hero Leon Osman were left to find out about their departures from Goodison Park in June via the Everton website without any personal contact.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Hibbert slams Everton via GrandOldTeam

hibbert-150x150.jpg

Tony Hibbert isn’t happy with the way Everton treated his departures from Goodison Park.
In an interview with the Daily Mail, Hibbert said: “I was in Formby with my dad and brother when my wife Samantha rang to say she’d been getting text messages from friends that I wasn’t being retained. It was on the website.

“I couldn’t believe it so I rang a friend at the club to check. They said, “Tony, I honestly don’t know why nobody has spoken to you”. I contacted Leon and he was in exactly the same boat.

“I won’t tell a lie, I was really hurt. Surely someone at the club should’ve realised it wasn’t right. I’d rather have been told at any point during the season there wouldn’t be a contract so I’d have a chance to plan my future and say a proper farewell. No player deserves that whether they’ve been at a club for five minutes or 25 years.

“In what other job would someone be let go or fired without a senior manager talking and explaining what was happening? I never got that and I honestly don’t know why. I didn’t get the chance to properly say goodbye to the fans.

“Every contract I had at Everton, I never questioned it or demanded more money,’ he says. ‘I have never kicked up a storm even as a kid. But since David Moyes left (in 2013), I have noticed the club hasn’t got the same feeling.

“The People’s Club, it’s no longer that. It’s a ruthless, horrible business and a lot of good people have gone.
I understand a new manager wants to work a different way but it is a dog-eat-dog culture inside the club now. People are only looking out for themselves.”

The post Hibbert slams Everton appeared first on GrandOldTeam.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Hibbert: Everton are no longer “The People’s Club” via Royal Blue Mersey

480876078.0.jpg

Player has been ditched, no contact from senior figures

In a sensational interview with the Daily Mail, former Everton defender Tony Hibbert claims that the club has kicked him to the curb with no support whatsoever as he recovers from his latest injury.

Hibbert was one of three players whose contracts were not extended when their terms expired on June 30th, along with fellow long-time players Leon Osman and Steven Pienaar.

The writer Joe Bernstein states that the 35-year-old player did not know that they would be let go and only found out through family members who saw it on the club’s official website.

“I was in Formby with my dad and brother when my wife Samantha rang to say she’d been getting text messages from friends that I wasn’t being retained. It was on the website.

“I couldn’t believe it so I rang a friend at the club to check. They said, “Tony, I honestly don’t know why nobody has spoken to you”. I contacted Leon and he was in exactly the same boat.

“I won’t tell a lie, I was really hurt. Surely someone at the club should’ve realised it wasn’t right. I’d rather have been told at any point during the season there wouldn’t be a contract so I’d have a chance to plan my future and say a proper farewell. No player deserves that whether they’ve been at a club for five minutes or 25 years.

“In what other job would someone be let go or fired without a senior manager talking and explaining what was happening? I never got that and I honestly don’t know why. I didn’t get the chance to properly say goodbye to the fans.”

Hibbert went on to say that he thought things had taken a turn for the worse at the club, where he joined when he was 10, with a total of 328 appearances under managers Walter Smith, David Moyes and Roberto Martinez. Hibbo, as he is popularly known amongst the fans, was the second longest player serving one club after John Terry.

“Every contract I had at Everton, I never questioned it or demanded more money. I have never kicked up a storm even as a kid. But since David Moyes left (in 2013), I have noticed the club hasn’t got the same feeling.

“The People’s Club, it’s no longer that. It’s a ruthless, horrible business and a lot of good people have gone. I understand a new manager wants to work a different way but it is a dog-eat-dog culture inside the club now. People are only looking out for themselves.”

He added –

“Bill (Kenwright) used to text me good-luck messages as a player. But I’ve not heard from him now.

“It’s hard to blame only him because of his own issues but you’d like to think there are other people who know how to do the right things.”

The right back is recovering from an operation after he suffered damaged ankle ligaments towards the end of last season. While Everton have let the player continue his rehabilitation work at the Finch Farm training facility, he can only work out in the afternoons after the first team is done with training, and is forced to change in the academy locker rooms.

“It’s hard for me to go in. It’s a horrible feeling. I feel embarrassed. Everything from the club feels like a new smack in the face. My wife is even angrier at how I’ve been treated.”

This is pretty embarrassing and shameful for Everton to be treating a club legend in this manner.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton midfielder could miss ‘at least six months’ with knee injury via Royal Blue Mersey

583540336.0.jpg

Besic could require surgery, faces a long spell on the sidelines

The news coming out from the Muhamed Besic camp is not looking positive for the player. The combative midfielder was injured during Wayne Rooney’s testimonial as Everton took on Manchester United. An inadvertent knee-on-knee collision with Morgan Schneiderlin left the Bosnian writhing on the turf, before he hobbled off soon after.

Bosnian media site Sportske Novosti is reporting that the player’s father Meho Besic told them that the injury was serious and that he would be on the sidelines for some time.

“I spoke with Muhammad. He was disappointed and just crushed because of injury. Hardly had dropped the whole situation. Good began preparations, but unfortunately no luck. I believe it will recover soon, God willing."

Besic, who had just been on the field for ten minutes at the time of his injury, looked to be in great pain and it looks likely that the ailment is of a torn ACL/MCL variety.

Rehabilitation and return to full fitness after surgery for an ACL tear can take six to nine months. The challenge is balancing trying to make a quick return by overdoing the required physical therapy and doing too little while resting the ligaments.

The player himself tweeted earlier this morning that he expected to be out for about six months.

6 months out! #devastated pic.twitter.com/0jg3w3OP9k

— MoBesic (@Mo_Besic) August 5, 2016

While Ronald Koeman just completed the signing of Idrissa Gueye, Besic’s injury could force him to make another move to bolster the midfield. Alternatively, this could mean an extended run in the senior squad for youngster Tom Davies who has been impressive so far and just signed a new five-year contract.

Former Everton midfielder Mikel Arteta also ruptured his anterior ligament (ACL) in February 2009, but returned in January the next year. Current club captain Phil Jagielka has also missed time with a similar injury last season, eventually returning after close to three months out on the sidelines recovering from medial ligament (MCL) damage.

Meanwhile, Besic’s teammate Gerard Deulofeu has sent him a get well soon message –

Get well soon @Mo_Besic. You will come back stronger my friend pic.twitter.com/fbnJhO2Jc4

— Gerard Deulofeu (@gerardeulofeu) August 5, 2016

In the last few minutes, manager Koeman has also confirmed the six month timeline in an interview on evertontv.

VIDEO: @ronaldkoeman confirms midfielder @mo_besic will be out for 'at least six months' with a knee injury. #EFChttps://t.co/OaGKscUVJG

— Everton (@everton) August 5, 2016

Story updated Friday August 5th at 10:45am EST

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton vs Espanyol: Preview, Start time, TV info and How To Watch via Royal Blue Mersey

584545236.0.jpg

Koeman’s first game at Goodison Park

Everton fans will finally get a chance to see new manager Ronald Koeman in the dugout at Goodison Park later today.

A lot of the early optimism with Koeman’s appointment along with the promise of owner Farhad Moshiri’s millions to spend in the transfer market has dissipated, and with just two signings in the window so far, concern has started creeping in. The new season starts in exactly one week and a lot of the issues that plagued the team in the 2015-16 season are still present, this is basically the same team as last term after all.

Muhamed Besic joined the injured ranks this week with the news that he could be looking at a six month spell on the sidelines after incurring a knee injury in Wednesday’s Wayne Rooney testimonial. New signing Idrissa Gueye is expected to feature in the game as his replacement.

Captain Phil Jagielka has still not returned to full training and at this point could be a major doubt for the season-opening fixture against Tottenham Hotspur next Saturday. Spurs thumped fallen Italian giants Inter Milan 6-1 in a preseason game yesterday and have sparkled in the friendlies they’ve played so far. The Blues will need to run rings around Espanyol today to ensure the fans don’t give up hope even before the season begins.

Reial Club Deportiu Espanyol de Barcelona have the unfortunate moniker of being the ‘other’ team from the city of Barcelona and had a rough campaign last year, firing two coaches before finishing in thirteenth place in La Liga. Their new manager is former Watford boss Quique Flores who knows the Toffees quite well after leading the Hornets in strong performances against the Blues previously.

Everton vs Espanyol

Match Details

Date and time: Saturday, August 6th at 3:00 p.m. BST / 10:00 a.m. EST / 7:00 a.m. PST

Stadium: Goodison Park, Liverpool, England

Capacity: 39,572

How to Watch/Listen

TV: LiveSoccerTV

Radio: N/A

Live stream: evertontv (subscription required)

Lineups: TBA

Everton starting XI –

Everton subs –

Espanyol starting XI –

Espanyol subs –

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back