Everton News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Everton transfer window recap: a Royal Blue Mersey roundtable via Royal Blue Mersey

584840264.0.jpg

We get the band back together to discuss deadline day and more

Now that the dust is settling after the chaos of the transfer window and deadline day, we got the Royal Blue Mersey crew to share how they think Everton did and what to look forward to.

1. Overall verdict on the transfer window

2. Best completed signing by Everton

3. Biggest opportunity missed by Everton

Tyler –

1) For me, it’s tough to be anything but happy with the window as a whole. The club is much stronger than it was at the end of last season. Sure, deadline day was anticlimactic, but none of the players the team was heavily linked to on Wednesday were game-changers. At the end of the day, the team added a new manager and a director of football in addition to five senior-level pieces that will all contribute to varying degrees. John Stones is gone, which stinks, but he wanted to go. More importantly, Romelu Lukaku is staying put. This was a good window and has me confident of Everton’s ability to challenge for a spot in Europe.

2) Does Ronald Koeman count? He should prove to be more important than any one player. You can already see the difference so far this season. However, if we are staying between the lines, the pick has to be Idrissa Gueye. He intercepts and wins back so many balls for Everton, sending them on the counter. Gareth Barry looks like a different player (in a good way) with Gueye next to him. And the defense seems less strained with him shielding the back line a bit. How was this guy only £7 million?

3) The often talked about “£100 million war chest” was never really touched. What happened to it? I don’t expect Everton to spend frivolously. And you can’t force a team to sell you a player, but I did hope to see that one, big-name signing and it never took place. Juan Mata? Julian Draxler? Maybe these were always unrealistic or even impossible options, but that doesn’t make me any less disappointed on that front. One marquee transfer could have catapulted this team to the level we are all hoping for.

Mike –

1) I think you have to be at least somewhat pleased. The big thing to keep in mind is that this was year one of the project–new owner, new manger, new director of football. The goal here was to address needs, don't let the best talent leave (unless the bid is off the charts), and keep the team competitive. In that regard, I think this window was fine. Gueye will probably pan out well, Bolasie I'm not sure of at this point, Williams is fine now but he's contracted until he's almost 35 which doesn't seem very smart. Valencia is fine for depth I guess. Lukaku is still here though and you have to say that's a huge victory. I can't emphasize that enough. We're building something here, or at least trying.

2) Idrissa Gueye for £7.1 million is the kind of move a smart team makes: league-adjusted, reaching peak age, good price, fills a need. In so many ways it is the opposite of spending £30 million on Sissoko or 40 on Brahimi. The team is better with him in it, period. So I'm pleased with that one.

3) It would have been nice to make some more younger/depth signings…the squad seems a little thin down the spine (GK/DM/CM/CAM). Valencia addressed that at the forward position but this still looks like an upper-mid-table team to me. A true top class Gareth Barry replacement to play alongside Gueye would have really taken the cake, and with Schneiderlin not getting into Mourinho's team I started dreaming a bit. Barry looks great now but truth is he's old as dirt and will break down as the season wears on.

Troy –

1) Expecting huge moves on the last day is always tough even for the biggest teams. You already saw teams with Champions League qualification make their big moves early not wanting to waste the chance by missing the deadline. That said another two solid additions yesterday would have made things feel a bit better. I think now while we have added it's still a large portion of the Roberto Martinez team and hoping that a manager switch is enough to close the leaky defense while still keeping the offense.

2) I don't think there is any debate here. You could change the cost to £15 million and I would still say Idrissa Gana Gueye by a long shot. He's already got a 5 minute highlight reel of Everton plays and his ability to control the midfield is staggering. His interceptions and poke tackles have been so well timed and he lacks the recklessness that Gareth Barry shows. If we're going to compete for European spots then I have a feeling Gueye is going to be a big part of that change.

3) Signing a big name in his prime that stamps this new ownership and management as in it to win. Sure I think we're going to be better, but all we're left with today is the feeling we got snubbed by so many players including Moussa Sissoko, which is just nonsense. We needed a Axel Witsel, Juan Mata or similar name and valuation to say this team is serious. Just one of those signings changes the mentality of the team and fans in a way that even just holding onto Romelu Lukaku does not.

Adam –

1) I'm not sure how you can view the window as a whole as anything but a success. Smart teams don't leave their important business to be done on deadline day, because we saw what can happen in those last minute deals yesterday. In this window, Everton was a smart team: they signed a winger, central midfielder, central defender, and goalkeeper all well before deadline day. Two of those players, Gueye and Stekelenburg, you could easily argue have been Everton's best two players in the opening month of the season. The only major deadline day move from the Toffees was a bit underwhelming in Enner Valencia, but the team needed depth at striker and their top target fell through, making it a reasonable if unexciting move. Overall, the window was an absolute success.

2) Idrissa Gana Gueye is without a doubt the team's best signing from this window. He's controlled the midfield in every match he's played, making Gareth Barry look 5 years younger in the process. We saw what N'Golo Kante did for Leicester City in a similar role last season — and he's now the engine that drives Chelsea. Gueye isn't quite that talented — he isn't going to drive Everton to a title like Kante did for Leicester, and I certainly hope he won't be leaving us for a bigger club at the end of the season! But, his ability to break plays up, spring counters, and cover seemingly endless ground will serve Everton very well.

3) Losing out on Manolo Gabbiadini was disappointing, especially considering that it seemed all parties seemed keen on a move until Napoli couldn't find a replacement for the player. He's younger than Valencia, probably already more talented than Valencia, and can play anywhere across the attacking positions. That being said, I think missing out on him is a much bigger miss than Sissoko, who is a good not great player who showed his true colors in yesterday's mess. Also, to dwell on not bringing in players like Joe Hart or Juan Mata, who we never appeared to be really in for, is silly and a waste of energy.

Ryan –

1) Based on past Everton transfer windows, I'd consider this one to be a success. However, unlike past windows, the club has a new majority shareholder in Farhad Moshiri and an ambitious new manager in Ronald Koeman. Both seemingly promised lots of major signings that would help the Toffees push towards the top of the table. While Everton permanently brought in some very solid players in Bolasie, Gueye, Williams and Stekelenburg; I'm still not seeing that splash player. Gueye has looked great so far and Stekelenburg has been surprisingly solid. But I believe that most fans thought that we were going to land a bigger fish, say like Joe Hart. I'm still on the fence about the Valencia loan but if he works out, I'm glad that the buy option is in there. I think everyone's hope is that these most of these players will be immediate contributors and will stick around for a while.

On the outbound side of things, Stones is finally gone. I'm fine with that. We fleeced City for as much as we could get and dropped a player that didn't want to be with the club. I would have liked to have brought in a another defender aside from Williams, but there's always the next window.

2) To date, that has to be Idrissa Gueye. The 26 year-old has stepped in and played well for Everton. He's definitely had his detractors but so far things are looking up. He's played the ball very well and has limited his mental errors with great passes to his teammates. He is one of the main reasons that the Blues remain undefeated in the early season.

3) There were quite a few missed opportunities this window. The club needed to bring in another goalkeeper to compete with Stekelenburg since Joes seems to be out of the picture, they needed depth at most positions and they needed one or two more solid first team players. The biggest miss I would call it is not being able to seal the deal with transactions that were reportedly on the verge of going through.

Everton were heavily linked with the likes of Witsel, Gabbiadini, Brahimi and Sissoko and they were either snubbed or the deals fell apart. I understand that not playing in Europe is hurting the Blues but it's not like Everton is some small upstart club out of nowhere. It's difficult to accept that we couldn't complete some transfers that would have had a major impact this season. I'm not going to fault the club too much since Koeman and Steve Walsh are still relatively new and did not have a lot of time to assess the squad and cast a wide net for transfer targets.

Sean –

1) The transfer window was highly successful for us. We added in three key positions and with solid signings to boot. I refuse to be disappointed that the club didn't spend vast fortunes on average players on deadline day. Frankly, I'd rather see Tom Davies developed that have someone like Sissoko in the team anyway.

2) While Gueye has been a revelation, I think Ashley Williams is a super buy for the price we got him. He'll add defensive nous and leadership to a team sorely lacking in both.

3) Probably Joe Hart. We still need a goalkeeper and he's top class, despite what Pep Guardiola may think. Ronald Koeman wasn't interested though and that's good enough for me.

Matt –

1) I think this was a fantastic transfer window. We buttoned up several areas of concern in addition to adding several players who are going to have a positive impact immediately. I think that fans will always feel like the team could have done more. But this was the first transfer window under Moshiri and it was a good sign of things to come.

2) Has to be Geuye. For the price we paid, I'm hard pressed to pick another player. Williams was a good signing and Bolasie has the potential to be a hit with the team, but Gueye has been so solid thus far and has added an extra dimension to the defensive midfield position.

3) Probably goalkeeper, but I'm glad we didn't jump into a bad move. Joe Hart would've have never succeeded for the reported price we were rumored to be paying. He could've been a very solid keeper for us, but I think it's foolish to pay a high fee for a keeper. I think Steklenberg can see us through at least until winter and we can re-evaluate the position then.

–——-———-——

Weigh in with your opinions as well in the comments below, we’d like to hear what your thoughts are on Everton’s transfer window.

Follow your favorite writers on their Twitter accounts – Sean (@Sean_Lunt), Mike (@godamski), Ryan (@RBlan008), Tyler (@_TyYoung), Matt (@MattAlbaugh), Brian (@Brian_Goodison), Adam (@abraun_15), Tom (@Tom_Mallows), Calvin (@Mr_Faded_Glory) – and you can find this site on Twitter as well (@RBMersey) as on Facebook (RBMersey) where we are really trying to build the Blue Army, so likes and follows are always appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton submit Premier League squad list via Royal Blue Mersey

592286798.0.jpg

Niasse is the surprising name on it

After Everton concluded their business in the transfer window yesterday, they submitted their final squad list for the Premier League 2016-17 season earlier today.

The one surprise on it is Oumar Niasse, who declined a loan move to any one of three Russian clubs yesterday. Niasse had not been handed a squad number at the beginning of the season, with the expectation that he would be on his way out of the club. Looks like Koeman will have to give him a number now.

Here is the full list of 25 players –

1. Leighton Baines
  2. Ross Barkley
  3. Gareth Barry
  4. Yannick Bolasie
  5. Tyias Browning
  6. Tom Cleverley
  7. Darron Gibson
  8. Phil Jagielka
  9. Aaron Lennon
  10. Romelu Lukaku
  11. James McCarthy
  12. Matthew Pennington
  13. Ashley Williams
  14. Muhamed Besic
  15. Seamus Coleman
  16. Gerard Deulofeu
  17. Ramiro Funes Mori
  18. Idrissa Gueye
  19. Arouna Kone
  20. Kevin Mirallas
  21. Oumar Baye Niasse
  22. Bryan Oviedo
  23. Joel Robles
  24. Maarten Stekelenburg
  25. Enner Valencia

From the Everton site

Premier League regulations dictate that a club’s squad can be up to a maximum of 25 players of whom a maximum of 17 may not be home-grown players. A reduced squad can be submitted if a club does not have eight falling into the home-grown category.

A home-grown player is one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three Seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).

In addition to the 25-man named squad, clubs can use an unlimited number of players aged 21 or under.

An Under-21 player means a player under the age of 21 as at the 1st January in the year in which the season concerned commences. Under-21 players can be added to the squad during the season.

These rules cover Premier League games only.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Scouting report: Enner Valencia via Royal Blue Mersey

461493852.0.jpg

A brief look at what Everton’s new loanee is bringing to Goodison, with some added thoughts on the window as a whole

Transfer deadline day perhaps didn’t deliver as much as it promised, but Everton did manage to land West Ham United forward Enner Valencia on a season-long loan. With the Toffees off this weekend, in lieu of my usual match preview I thought I’d give some thoughts on the new signing and the window as a whole.

General impression

Valencia is 26, turning 27 in two months, which for forwards generally indicates a player nearing the end of their peak. Based on goals alone, Valencia was most prolific at age 23-24. The good news is that this is just a loan so Everton aren’t looking for long term production here.

Positionally he is generally a center forward but West Ham often used him on the wing as well (mostly left). Certainly not a traditional poacher, he seems more the player to pick up the ball in deeper positions and run at players or hit long shots. In that sense you’d be tempted to call him a false nine but traditionally false nines are also providers, which Valencia really isn’t.

Video courtesy of Red-E SportsHD

Numbers and fit

The first thing to note is that Valencia didn’t get a ton of minutes last year, mostly due to injury but partly also by virtue of not being first choice at his position. With that being said, he was moderately productive when he did play, averaging just over 3 shots and about 0.36 goals per 90 minutes—not bad for a winger, sort of mediocre for a striker. His assist/key pass numbers are less impressive, and looking at where he fits in with Everton’s other attackers you start to get the impression that he profiles more or less as a Koné-esque backup striker:

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-01%20at%2010.02.21%20AM.png

In general, better creators will be towards the top of the graph, better scorers towards the right; Expected goals are courtesy of Paul Riley

Underwhelming as that sounds, that’s essentially what Everton will probably ask him to be. Despite his speed he has pretty similar dribbling stats to Koné as well, and he also has a similar tendency to the Ivorian to shoot from outside the box.

Tactically, Valencia will be more useful in transition than if Everton are camped out in their opponent’s box. The Hammers were a decent counter-attacking side last year and while he didn’t exactly set the world on fire there I think he at least fits that kind of role. As such you can probably expect to see him off the bench late in games if Everton are trying to hold a lead, against opposition to whom Ronald Koeman is willing to cede some possession, or against weaker opposition in general (cup games, etc.).

Valencia is a half-decent depth signing for the Toffees at a position that needed it. It’s concerning that he may not be an upgrade in quality from Koné, but he does have a slightly different style, which gives Koeman options. Lurking in the background here is the Oumar Niasse conundrum—on paper, Niasse is a better version of Valencia and fits a similar role, but for whatever reason no one at the club thinks he’s any good. In any case, overall this is not much to write home about and in truth I’ve probably devoted too many words to the whole thing already.

Some thoughts on the window

With Valencia wrapped up, here’s more or less what Everton’s squad is looking like (you don’t have to agree with who is ahead of who or exactly what position is their best, the purpose is just to show general depth):

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-01%20at%2011.00.36%20AM.png

The spine of the team still seems thin to me. Gareth Barry looks great now but his bones will eventually turn to dust and with Muhamed Bešić’s legs seemingly made of toothpicks it’s unclear what the plan is there. Goalkeeper is similar in that there is a player who looks alright right now but isn’t getting younger coupled with a lack of long term vision at the position. Across the backline the average age is 31, with a huge gap to the youngsters filled only by the polarizing Ramiro Funes Mori.

It wasn’t exactly an unproductive window but the feeling lingers that it could have been more. As it stands the club are taking baby steps rather than giant leaps forward but after the calamity of the last two seasons the size of the steps is less important than their direction. They are in position this season to be competitive with the likes of Southampton, West Ham, and possibly Leicester, and they could plausibly be described as on the rise. For now, I think that’s enough.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Did Everton owner Farhad Moshiri talk to Sky Sports’ Jim White? via Royal Blue Mersey

515101332.0.jpg

Controversial tweet doing the rounds this morning

Sports broadcaster Jim White has long been a bit of a controversial figure amongst football fans. His latest activity on Twitter has enraged Everton supporters who are aggrieved that the “wind-up merchant” is at it again.

The Sky Sports presenter had first courted intrigue when he tweeted early on deadline day saying that he had been speaking to Toffees majority owner Farhad Moshiri –

White1.JPG
Jim White

Jim White’s tweet about Farhad Moshiri 1

Perceptive Everton fans immediately realized White was probably was click-baiting as in the few communications that Moshiri has had with the press, his comments have been very measured and cultured, to say the least.

programme.0.jpg
Everton

Message from Farhad Moshiri in matchday programme

It is very unlikely that Moshiri would speak to the press at a critical time like Deadline Day, whereby he would be weakening his position and losing leverage when battling other clubs to sign top players. In addition, he would hardly be calling the window “insane” in the offhanded banter that White peddles.

But it was only earlier this morning in the aftermath of the transfer window closing that White really invoked the ire of the Blues when he tweeted this purported message from the owner –

White2.JPG
Jim White

Jim White tweet about Farhad Moshiri 2

Quite why Moshiri would choose to bypass the club’s official communications and go to a Sky reporter remains a mystery, if this communique is real. And if it’s not, then why would a journalist choose to destroy his integrity over a seemingly trivial matter is an even bigger mystery.

This seems to insinuate that Moussa Sissoko’s arrival would jeopardize James McCarthy’s position in the club, which is strange considering Ronald Koeman had already said before the deadline that the Irish international would stay with the club, and Everton rebuffed offers for him on the last day of the transfer window as well.

The Liverpool Echo have reached out to the club regarding the veracity of this message, but are yet to hear back.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back