Everton News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everton v Middlesbrough: Premier League – live! via The Guardian

4.51pm BST

“Reid’s cross – GRAY!”

If you’re an Everton fan, with a fondness for the years 1984 and 1985, this book is definitely for you. It’s published by deCoubertin, who have a cracking collection of Everton books in particular.

4.34pm BST

Everton (4-2-3-1) Stekelenburg; Coleman, Williams, Jagielka, Baines; Gueye, Barry; Mirallas, Barkley, Bolasie; Lukaku.
Substitutes: Joel, Deulofeu, Lennon, Cleverley, Valencia, Funes Mori, Holgate.

Middlesbrough (4-2-3-1) Valdes; Barragan, Ayala, Gibson, Friend; De Roon, Forshaw; Nsue, Ramirez, Downing; Negredo.
Substitutes: Guzan, Espinosa, Clayton, Fischer, Chambers, Nugent, Traore.

4.19pm BST

Kevin de Bruyne is Pep’s Michael Laudrup, discuss

Related: Hull City v Arsenal, Manchester City v Bournemouth and more: football clockwatch – live!

4.13pm BST

Hello. Sometimes, a player’s weakness becomes his strength as a manager: think of George Graham and Glenn Hoddle, swaggering midfielders and magnificent defensive coaches, or hard-faced centre-back Tony Mowbray preaching tiki-taka in the Midlands.

Ronald Koeman and Aitor Karanka, whose Everton and Middlesbrough sides meet at Goodison Park today, took their playing strengths with them when they went into management: both were defenders (well, nominally in Koeman’s case) and both know exactly what to do with a bank of four.

12.24pm BST

Rob will be here shortly. In the meantime, why not have a read of Andy Hunter on how Ronald Koeman feels the noise more than Martínez and Moyes after his strong start at Everton?

Related: Ronald Koeman’s revolution restores discipline and high standards to Everton

Continue reading…
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton 3-1 Middlesbrough: Premier League – as it happened via The Guardian

Everton respond impressively to Maarten Stekelenburg’s own goal to beat Middlesbrough, with Gareth Barry scoring on his 600th Premier League appearance

7.20pm BST

Everton go back to second in the table, having taken 13 points from their first five games. It’s their best start since 1978-79. They respond impressively to Maarten Stekelenburg’s own goal and were comfortable winners, with Gareth Barry scoring on his 600th Premier League appearance. Thanks for your company; night.

7.19pm BST

90+1 min A nice touch from Ronald Koeman, who substitutes Gareth Barry so that he can get an ovation from the crowd. Tom Cleverley replaces him.

7.18pm BST

90 min There will be two minutes of added formality.

7.16pm BST

88 min Everton play a bit of keep-ball to amuse themselves. They look a good side, and so much more solid than last season.

7.13pm BST

86 min “I want 3000 words by Monday on Everton and Liverpool being top dogs in the league once more, just like back in the day before wireless meant anything other than a radio,” writes my owner Ian Copestake.

7.11pm BST

84 min Middlesbrough make their final substitution, with Adam Clayton replacing Forshaw.

7.10pm BST

82 min Fischer’s fierce shot from 20 yards is blocked by the stretching Coleman. I think it would have otherwise inconvenienced Stekelenburg.

7.07pm BST

80 min De Roon’s high cross is punched away under pressure by Stekelenburg, and Downing’s follow-up shot hits a defender.

7.06pm BST

79 min Idrissa Gueye has had another excellent game for Everton.

7.05pm BST

77 min Bolasie mavericks past Barragan but then runs into a second defender.

7.03pm BST

76 min Boro don’t look like getting a corner, never mind scoring. I think they’ll stay up, but if they do it won’t be because of their attack.

7.02pm BST

74 min “Agree 100% with the mooted Incorrigible Mavericks rule,” says David Hopkins. “All the better if their skills have little practical application. I’m thinking of Ted McMinn dribbling past some hapless fullback, stopping, then doing it once more for a laugh.”

6.59pm BST

72 min Gerard Deulofeu replaces Kevin Mirallas for Everton.

6.59pm BST

70 min Both sides have accepted the result, and the match is drifting along increasingly aimlessly.

6.57pm BST

69 min Another Boro substitution: Viktor Fischer, the former boy wonder, replaces Gaston Ramirez.

6.53pm BST

66 min Enner Valencia comes on for his Everton debut, replacing the injured Lukaku. It looks like a precautionary substitution rather than anything more serious, although Lukaku has gone straight down the tunnel.

6.51pm BST

63 min Barkley almost frees Lukaku in the box; eventually the ball pinballs through the keeper Valdes. When Barkley plays like this, with such penetrative simplicity, you can see why so many managers get excited about him.

6.50pm BST

62 min “I’m not actually watching the game, but glad to see Bolasie involved,” says Matt Dony. “He is possibly the most entertaining player in world football. I mean, he’s obviously not in that ‘top, top player’ bracket, but the sheer unpredictability is worth the entrance fee. In that respect, he reminds me of Luis Garcia in his 2006/7 pomp. The best player in history for 10 minutes of any given match, an absolute liability for the other 80.”

Quite. There should be a quota system whereby every team has to include one incorrigible maverick in their XI. If we can clone Adel Taarabt, so much the better.

6.46pm BST

59 min Middlesbrough bring on David Nugent for Emilio Nsue.

6.44pm BST

56 min Everton are in total control of the game now, and Barkley draws a good save from Valdes with a stinging low drive. Barkley has been excellent today, possibly the best player on the pitch.

6.41pm BST

54 min Mirallas’s golden five minutes continues with a dreadful piece of control in the box after fine play from Barkley.

6.40pm BST

51 min Baines makes a virtue of a dismal pass from Mirallas, winning a corner as a result. It’s headed away by Friend.

6.38pm BST

50 min Middlesbrough, tactically speaking, weren’t really built with 3-1 deficits in mind. They are a neat, tidy side but they don’t create that many chances. This should be a comfortable second half for Everton.

6.37pm BST

49 min It looks like the third goal has been given to Lukaku. I’m not sure he touched it, mind.

6.33pm BST

46 min Peep peep! Everton begin the second half, and as things stand this will be their best start to a season since 1978-79.

6.20pm BST

Half-time reading aka ‘I think it was me who said…’

Related: Ronaldo at 40: Il Fenomeno’s legacy as greatest ever No9, despite dodgy knees | Rob Smyth

6.18pm BST

After a slow start, that was an enjoyable half of football. The worst thing Middlesbrough did was take the lead, because it woke Everton and the crowd up. See you soon for the second half.

6.17pm BST

45+2 min Gareth Barry is booked for a foul on Ramirez.

6.16pm BST

Bolasie’s inswinging cross from the right drifts past everyone and into the net. Lukaku claimed it but I don’t think he got a touch. Valdes appealed that Lukaku was offside but replays showed he was fine.

6.12pm BST

Seamus Coleman gives Everton the lead with a fine solo goal. He received Gueye’s pass just outside the area on the right, burst past a couple of defenders and finished calmly into the bottom corner with his left foot.

6.10pm BST

40 min Barrajan loafs forward promisingly, only to get giddy and hoof one miles over the bar from 25 yards.

6.07pm BST

36 min Barkley beats Ayala with a beautiful flicked nutmeg, a bit like Robbie Fowler on Steve Staunton when he scored that famous goal against Aston Villa in 1996, and then runs into the box before hitting a shot that is well blocked by a combination of Gibson and the recovering Ayala. When the ball went dead Ayala was booked for attempting to pull Barkley back after he had been turned.

6.04pm BST

34 min “You’re right about the Middlesbrough goal looking like Andy Gray’s goal at Wembley in 1984,” says Gary Naylor. “If we’re playing the same rules as 32 years ago, I look forward to plenty of tackles from behind, a few professional fouls and a shinpad-splitting challenge or two. No cards though. And a title for us next year.”

6.01pm BST

32 min A fine effort from Bolaise, who thumps a 15-yard header onto the roof of the net from Baines’s hanging cross.

5.58pm BST

28 min Barkley ruins an excellent run by blazing over the bar when Lukaku was in a better position.

5.56pm BST

26 min “Pretty sure Andy Gray never played in a World Cup final,” says Richie Segal, making a very fair point. What the hell was I thinking there?

5.55pm BST

25 min Middlesbrough might also be aggrieved with the goal against them, because Williams challenged Valdes with his studs showing. Howard Webb says it was a probably a free-kick, and he’ll be thrilled to know I agree with him.

5.54pm BST

Gareth Barry equalises for Everton. On today of all days. A corner from the left rebounded across the box, and Barry half-volleyed it calmly into the top of the net. That’s an excellent finish actually, and a rare goal to mark his 600th Premier League appearance.

5.53pm BST

23 min The BT commentators – Steve McManaman, Glenn Hoddle and Howard Webb – all think it was a fair goal. I’m not so sure. Stekelenburg was a bit weak but I’m not sure Negredo didn’t foul him.

5.52pm BST

Everton are not happy with this, and there are echoes of Andy Gray’s goal in the 1984 World Cup final. Downing hung up a deep cross towards the far post, where Stekelenburg was in the process of catching it when Negredo powered through and headed the ball into the net. Actually, I think it’s an own goal because Negredo seemed to knock Stekelenburg’s arm, which knocked the ball out of his hands and into the net.

5.50pm BST

20 min Mirallas comes inside from the left and drills a low shot that is comfortably held by Valdes. Everton have stirred after a sluggish start.

5.49pm BST

19 min A good effort from Barkley, who moves away from Forshaw and hits a wobbling left-footed shot from 25 yards that is beaten away by Valdes.

5.48pm BST

17 min It would be silly to jump to conclusions after four and a bit games, so that’s exactly what I’m going to do: Boro won’t go down this season. They look a really good, organised side.

5.45pm BST

15 min Barry, on his 600th Premier League appearance, is robbed in a dangerous area but Ramirez. He moves straight for goal but Coleman makes a good tackle on the edge of the area.

5.43pm BST

13 min Everton win their first corner, to be taken by Mirallas on the right. Jagielka mistimes his jump at the near post and shoulders it over the bar.

5.42pm BST

12 min Here’s Hubert O’Hearn. “Koeman’s knack of almost instantly shaping a club into an attractive and downright scary side, no matter what players he loses, reminds me of a wonderful line about Jack Nicklaus and his clubs (golf variety): ‘He can play with his and beat you, or he can take yours and still beat you.’”

5.40pm BST

10 min There’s not a huge amount happening right now.

5.36pm BST

6 min The overlapping Friend is fouled by Coleman on the left wing. Actually, it looks quite a soft free-kick on second glance. Ramirez curls the free-kick towards the near post, where Downing flicks a header across the face of goal and wide. Ayala almost got to it at the far post.

5.35pm BST

5 min It’s been a confident start from Boro in what sounds like a very muted atmosphere, though that might just be that somebody has pressed the wrong button in the BT bunker.

5.30pm BST

1 min Peep peep! Middlesbrough, in red, kick off from left to right. Everton are in blue.

4.51pm BST

“Reid’s cross – GRAY!”

If you’re an Everton fan, with a fondness for the years 1984 and 1985, this book is definitely for you. It’s published by deCoubertin, who have a cracking collection of Everton books in particular.

4.34pm BST

Everton (4-2-3-1) Stekelenburg; Coleman, Williams, Jagielka, Baines; Gueye, Barry; Mirallas, Barkley, Bolasie; Lukaku.
Substitutes: Joel, Deulofeu, Lennon, Cleverley, Valencia, Funes Mori, Holgate.

Middlesbrough (4-2-3-1) Valdes; Barragan, Ayala, Gibson, Friend; De Roon, Forshaw; Nsue, Ramirez, Downing; Negredo.
Substitutes: Guzan, Espinosa, Clayton, Fischer, Chambers, Nugent, Traore.

4.19pm BST

Kevin de Bruyne is Pep’s Michael Laudrup, discuss

Related: Hull City v Arsenal, Manchester City v Bournemouth and more: football clockwatch – live!

4.13pm BST

Hello. Sometimes, a player’s weakness becomes his strength as a manager: think of George Graham and Glenn Hoddle, swaggering midfielders and magnificent defensive coaches, or hard-faced centre-back Tony Mowbray preaching tiki-taka in the Midlands.

Ronald Koeman and Aitor Karanka, whose Everton and Middlesbrough sides meet at Goodison Park today, took their playing strengths with them when they went into management: both were defenders (well, nominally in Koeman’s case) and both know exactly what to do with a bank of four.

12.24pm BST

Rob will be here shortly. In the meantime, why not have a read of Andy Hunter on how Ronald Koeman feels the noise more than Martínez and Moyes after his strong start at Everton?

Related: Ronald Koeman’s revolution restores discipline and high standards to Everton

Continue reading…
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton see off Middlesbrough as Barry scores on 600th Premier League game via The Guardian

Everton have not always responded well to adversity but there is a new steel running through the side under Ronald Koeman. They went behind to the most dubious of away goals midway through the first half but simply brushed the injustice aside, recovered within minutes and went on to claim a handsome victory. Everton now sit second in the table and have scored six goals in their last two games, though it must be said Middlesbrough, like Sunderland earlier in the week, do not possess the most resolute of defences.

Gareth Barry enjoyed an eventful evening as he made his 600th Premier League appearance, only the third player to record such a milestone after Ryan Giggs and Frank Lampard.

Related: Manchester City and Kevin De Bruyne roll on with Bournemouth thumping

Continue reading…
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton 3-1 Middlesbrough: Ronald Koeman’s side continue unbeaten start to the season with comeback victory as Gareth Barry scores on 600th Premier League appearance via Daily Mail

DOMINIC KING AT GOODISON PARK: What had threatened to be a game ruined by a poor refereeing decision became, in the blink of an eye, Everton’s fourth win from five matches.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back