Everton News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everton 1-0 Crystal Palace, Premier League LIVE: Yannick Bolasie plays host to ex-club in Friday night clash via Daily Mail

Ronald Koeman's Everton host Alan Pardew's Crystal Palace in a Premier League clash on Friday night at Goodison Park. Join Sportsmail's JOHN DOWNES for LIVE coverage of the match.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Crystal Palace’s Christian Benteke heads home to earn draw with Everton via The Guardian

Everton’s impressive start to the season is in danger of fizzling out. They avoided a third consecutive defeat here, but were only able to score through a set piece and Crystal Palace will be bitterly disappointed at seeing a perfectly valid potential winner wrongly chalked off in the second half.

The visitors were worth at least a point, playing a neat counterattacking game and coming back strongly after Everton had taken a first-half lead. Ronald Koeman said Everton would have to show more aggression and intensity if they were to return to second place in the table, and if that was the aim his players failed to produce.

Continue reading…
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton 1-1 Crystal Palace: Premier League – as it happened via The Guardian

A fine free-kick from Romelu Lukaku and a superlative header from Christian Benteke earned Everton and Palace a point each at Goodison Park

10.04pm BST

That’s all from me. It’s been a joy. Here’s your proper actual match report. Bye!

Related: Crystal Palace’s Christian Benteke heads home to earn draw with Everton

10.03pm BST

A couple of Crystal Palace players have spoken to Sky. Firstly Christian Benteke:

I think it’s a fair result tonight. I think it was a great performance from the lads. We really fought hard, we came back in the game, and one points is good. It’s never easy to play against Everton, especially when they’re at home, but we showed great team spirit.

I thought I pulled out of it. It’s a bit harsh to be honest. Obviously we made a hash of it in the wall, the lads should have jumped but didn’t. Probably my decision. It was one of those ones that was borderline whether we should jump or not. We spoke about it and it was my call. Obviously the wrong one.

The referee said James McArthur was down the line with the goalkeeper. I’m not sure if he was or not. It’s a bit soft if I’m honest.

9.58pm BST

In this month Crystal Palace have won more points (10) than they did in January, February, March, April and August put together (9).

9.53pm BST

That was really quite a lot of fun. Everton go third, Palace stay seventh.

9.52pm BST

90+5 mins: And that’s yer lot!

9.51pm BST

90+4 mins: One booking for the road from the referee, after Cleverley tripped Zaha with a quite extraordinarily cynical ankle-nip.

9.50pm BST

90+3 mins: Andros Townsend goes off and Lee Chung-yong replaces him.

9.48pm BST

90+1 mins: Into stoppage time we roll. There’s going to be four minutes of it, inevitably.

9.46pm BST

88 mins: Ward has the ball in defence, and Bolasie flies in to challenge him. One foot wins the ball, the other leg takes out Ward most emphatically, and Bolasie gets booked.

9.45pm BST

86 mins: Gueye and Bolasie combine beautifully on the right flank before the former finds Coleman scampering into all sorts of space. That, however, is very much the highlight of the move, which ends with a cross that Funes Mori controls so hopelessly 20 yards out that the ball goes out of play.

9.41pm BST

83 mins: In a throwback to their goal, Kelly crosses to Benteke. This time though the striker decides to nod the ball back to Townsend rather than send it towards goal. Wrong call.

9.40pm BST

82 mins: My new friend Banker, who appears to have some kind of refereeing affiliation, emails about that disallowed Palace goal: “Oh lord Simon, the disallowed goal was two of the hardest situations combined for the assistant to deal with. Firstly, the player at the back stick was in an offside position when the ball was played but did not become active. I don’t think the assistant has flagged for that. Then McArthur runs close to the ball in front of the goal. Is he ‘clearly attempting to play a ball which is close to him when this action impacts on an opponent’? I don’t think the assistant can decide that. We can only hope that the officials have talked over the intercom and that Moss has used his better angle to interpret the situation. This just highlights the impossible job officials have with some offside situations.” Doesn’t it just.

9.39pm BST

81 mins: Chance for Everton! Lukaku’s first-time touch to Coleman is lovely, and the full-back bursts into the area before shooting high with Delaney gearing up for another manic challenge.

9.38pm BST

81 mins: Another substitution – Oviedo is off, and Funes Mori is on.

9.38pm BST

80 mins: Kelly jumps with an arm around the neck of Lukaku, who wins the ball, thinks about the situation, waits a few seconds and then decides really he should probably have dived that time when he felt a defender touch him. He dives anyway, just for old time’s sake, and wins a free kick from a misty-eyed official.

9.35pm BST

78 mins: And Palace make their first change, bringing Cabaye on for McArthur.

9.35pm BST

78 mins: Gueye and Townsend touch shoulders on the left flank. The winger goes over, and Gueye gets booked.

9.34pm BST

77 mins: The night’s first substitution, with only 13 minutes to play, sees Barkley replaced by Mirallas.

9.34pm BST

76 mins: Chance for Palace! A corner from the right is headed out to Ward, who heads back into the area, where the defence has pushed up and Tomkins has run clear. His header on goal is weak and easily saved – he had time to control it and read the paper before shooting if he’d fancied.

9.33pm BST

75 mins: Palace are absolutely peppering the area with crosses, but Everton are marking Benteke well and repeatedly scrambling clear. It’s not exactly comfortable though.

9.30pm BST

72 mins: Barry commits another foul, a push out on the right wing, and Palace have another dangerous set piece. The ball looks to be going to Benteke but is half-cleared, sent back in, looks to be going to Benteke again, is half-cleared again, and then Stekelenburg intervenes to punch to ball out of play, and flatten Ledley in the process.

9.26pm BST

69 mins: He does shoot, but into the wall.

9.26pm BST

68 mins: Moments later Townsend goes down over Barry’s proffered leg and the referee gets his card out again. It looks like Townsend will have a shot from the free kick.

9.25pm BST

67 mins: Townsend becomes Palace’s latest yellow card recipient, for attempting to foul Barkley. Imagine what would have happened if he’d actually fouled him.

9.23pm BST

66 mins: Oooh! Everton win a corner, which is glanced goalwards by Barry, wide of the near post. It was probably going wide anyway, but Jason Puncheon on the far post made sure.

9.22pm BST

65 mins: Come on, it’s not that bad.

@Simon_Burnton Only been watching since halftime. Is Martinez back in charge?

9.20pm BST

63 mins: The ball is absolutely flying around Goodison Park. It’s not quite end to end, but it is approximately 18-yard line to 18-yard line.

9.19pm BST

62 mins: Here’s the critical moment in full, as the ball is played in to the Everton box:

Controversial moment as #CPFC have a goal ruled out. Correct decision? Watch on SS2 or follow https://t.co/dVLjODiUsz pic.twitter.com/yLNRASk301

9.17pm BST

60 mins: Moments later Gueye chips the ball into the box, and Bolasie’s overhead kick looks very nice, but sends the ball wide.

9.16pm BST

59 mins: Lukaku has the ball pretty much where Bolasie did a few minutes ago – perhaps his angle is a little more unfavourable – but he does shoot. It’s blocked.

9.15pm BST

58 mins: Replays suggests that was a poor decision – Delaney was level with Ashley Williams, and standing right next to him just to make the linesman’s decision a little easier.

9.14pm BST

57 mins: Palace have a goal disallowed! The corner is cleared, crossed back in, and headed home by Delaney, but the linesman is flagging.

9.13pm BST

56 mins: Andros Townsend has had a very quiet evening – Zaha has been much more influential – but he has just won a corner, which is something.

9.11pm BST

53 mins: Benteke has also been booked, possibly for being unhappy that a handball Palace were claiming went unspotted by the officials. If so, it’s Palace’s third booking for dissent tonight. I’m all for cracking down on dissent, but really there hasn’t been very much of it, and this is getting a bit silly.

9.10pm BST

52 mins: What a chance for Eveton! Bolasie’s excellent chest control sends him running down the inside left channel into the penalty area. He might have shot from a reasonably acute angle, but instead he checked back and lays the ball across goal to Gueye, who shot into Kelly.

9.08pm BST

Palace send in another early cross – Kelly with it this time – and Benteke outjumps Coleman at the far post and sends the ball back across goal and perfectly inside the far post. That’s a sensational header.

9.05pm BST

48 mins: “Thought you might like to know that our announcer, Peter Drury, referred to the celebratory hug between Lukaku and Koeman after the goal as a ‘low counties cuddle’,” writes JR. I do like to know that.

9.03pm BST

46 mins: Peeeep! We’re back under way. Goodison, here’s what you missed.

9.03pm BST

The players come back out, with Sweet Caroline ringing out over the Tannoy. I’m disappointed it’s not Friday’s Child by Will Young, or Friday Night by the Kids from Fame.

9.01pm BST

“Hmm Simon. I disagree,” insists Banker. “As much as it pains me to blow the whistle of one of my own. From my view Mr Moss was clearly a late replacement and has left his running shoes and indirect salute in the dressing room. A dressing down awaits.” One thing we can probably agree on is that it was a fine strike from Lukaku, one of those free kicks that looks so ludicrously easy it’s a wonder there aren’t 10 a game.

8.52pm BST

Oh, actually they’re wrong. Clearly the referee thought Delaney was kicking or attempting to kick Jagielka, rather than simply engaging in dangerous play:

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

8.51pm BST

“Jags handled the ball just before his face was narrowly missed but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t clearly a foul against him,” writes Banker. “The real problem is that Moss should have awarded an indirect free kick for playing in a dangerous manner. Where is Clatts when you need him eh?”

On a similar theme:

@Simon_Burnton not to let Delaney off the hook for almost booting Jagielka's head into Row Z, but isn't high boot/dangerous play an IFK?

An indirect free kick is awarded if a player:

8.48pm BST

As Sky cut to ads, we hear the opening bars of the Cure’s Friday I’m in Love echo around Goodison Park. Disappointingly literal disk jockeying there.

8.47pm BST

45+2 mins: Barkley doesn’t shoot. Instead he produces a horribly weak kind-of-cross, which is dismissively thumped clear. And that’s it for half one!

8.46pm BST

45+1 mins: It will end with another free-kick shooting chance for Everton, after Ledley provokes Bolasie into falling over. This time Tomkins talks his way into the book.

8.45pm BST

45 mins: Suddenly the half is nearly over. There will be one minute of first-half stoppage time, as always.

8.43pm BST

42 mins: A fine passage of play from Everton ends with Barkley passing to Coleman, surging into the area. For a moment, it looks certain to lead to a great chance, but the pass was a bit close to him for a first-time shot, and his first touch took him too wide.

8.39pm BST

39 mins: “Do you think the Bosnian guy was looking for offers? I’m thinking of how that might pave the way to paid supporters/supporter sponsorship heading towards a ‘career fan’ sort of employment status,” writes JJ. “Still working on the economic model …”

Yup, good luck with that.

8.37pm BST

37 mins: Though Delaney really needs to stop going into challenges like a rabid maniac.

8.36pm BST

36 mins: Jagielka’s handball came fractionally before he was nearly decapitated, so really that should have been a free kick to Palace.

8.35pm BST

From 20 yards, Lukaku sends the ball over the wall and in at the near post with his left foot!

8.35pm BST

34 mins: Now Delaney competes against Jagielka for a high ball. Jagielka wins the ball (with his hands, to be fair); Delaney kicks Jagielka (actually he just misses, to be honest). Anyway, it’s a free kick.

8.33pm BST

33 mins: Palace win a corner, from which Stekelenburg steps off his line and brushes McArthur. The referee decides this is free kick worthy. If such contact routinely led to free kicks there would be hundreds every game, and never any time for anything else.

8.31pm BST

31 mins: Delaney and Bolasie compete for a high ball. Bolasie heads the ball; Delaney heads Bolasie. The physios are on.

8.30pm BST

29 mins: Still an enjoyably manic game, though it is tiptoeing towards needs-a-goal status. “I can’t help but wonder, of all the club letters penned to the Bosnian kid, did Cambridge’s have the best style and grammar?” asks Peter Oh. A fine question. Here’s their response, which is a little underwhelming, to be honest.

Thank you very much for your email. Cambridge United is a very special club for a variety of different reasons on and off the pitch! I have attached a link which reveals all here.

I hope this helps in the search for your new club. If you have any further questions just let me know.

8.27pm BST

27 mins: Lukaku falls over McArthur’s challenge, 25 yards out, and when the referee blows his whistle Puncheon is booked for quibbling. Nothing immediately comes from the free kick.

8.25pm BST

25 mins: Everton try to break, but Palace’s defenders sprint harder and in greater numbers than the attackers, and it all peters out a bit, ending with Oviedo overhitting a cross out of play.

8.23pm BST

22 mins: Palace are having a period of domination, peppering the Everton area with early crosses, and it doesn’t really matter how wayward they are if the defence aimlessly boots the ball straight back at them whenever they get it.

8.19pm BST

19 mins: This is manic stuff, thoroughly entertaining even if it will at some point reach needs-a-goal status. Ledley gets in a muddle in the middle, gives the ball to Barkley, who passes to Lukaku, whose low drive flies straight at Mandanda.

8.16pm BST

16 mins: A booking! Oviedo gets it, for stopping Zaha’s run with a blatant arm-round-the-neck-and-heave.

8.15pm BST

14 mins: Oviedo bursts forward, is found by Cleverley’s chip over the visiting defence and is ludicrously taken out by Delaney in the penalty area. It was as clear a penalty as you’ll ever see, but luckily for Palace the linesman was waving his flag.

8.14pm BST

14 mins: Bolasie started on the left and is now on the right, from where he just sent in another fine cross. When he doesn’t have the ball, though, he’s still standing around wincing a bit.

8.12pm BST

12 mins: The night’s first shot comes from the boot of Barkley, who runs from the centre circle until, about 30 yards out, he thumps it high and wide.

8.10pm BST

11 mins: The home side have had 75% of possession in the first 10 minutes.

8.10pm BST

10 mins: … which looked to be heading perfectly for Williams to volley, but for some reason he decided to let it fly between his legs. If he thought he had a team-mate poised behind him, he was wrong.

8.09pm BST

9 mins: Perhaps he’s OK after all, because his next involvement is on the left wing, and his excellent cross looks destined for Lukaku’s forehead, but he barely touches the ball, and it comes off Delaney for a corner.

8.08pm BST

8 mins: Bolasie wins the ball from Zaha but seems to have hurt his back in doing so, and is doing a lot of standing around wincing.

8.07pm BST

7 mins: Coleman gets the ball again, and wins a corner again, Zaha back defending. Barkley takes it, and Williams heads it straight into Jagielka’s back.

8.06pm BST

5 mins: Coleman stands in all sorts of space for an age while Everton keep the ball in a congested midfield. Eventually Barkley finds him, and he beats Kelly but the ball is turned behind. This corner also comes to nought.

8.04pm BST

4 mins: For all the wingers on the field the best cross of the early exchanges comes from Joel Ward, which is headed behind by Williams. The corner is headed clear.

8.01pm BST

1 min: With 30 seconds on the clock Bolasie has already attempted a cross and a shot, both of which hit a nearby defender.

8.00pm BST

1 min: Peeeeep! Everton get the game under way.

8.00pm BST

If there was a countdown clock running, it would have a very small number on it.

7.59pm BST

The teams are out of the tunnel.

7.56pm BST

The teams are in the tunnel. Exciting times.

7.55pm BST

Alan Pardew on tonight’s game:

It’s interesting for me to see if they’re as brave as I think they’re going to be. The problem we had last year is we didn’t grind enough results out, and we made a lot of changes over the summer to make sure that got rectified. So I don’t want to see a defeat to our name today.

7.55pm BST

You may have read about this guy, who wrote to all 92 English league clubs asking why he should support them, received 10 replies and picked Everton’s as the best. The clubs that wrote back to him were: Arsenal, Crystal Palace, Everton, Chelsea, Manchester United, Southampton, Stoke, Ipswich, Cambridge United and Barnet. Tonight’s his first game at Goodison Park.

7.49pm BST

Ronald Koeman, who’s an excellent talker and seems to intriguingly combine friendliness and toughness, has been talking about Ross Barkley again:

In several moments of the game he’s losing balls that he cannot lose. And he needs to work and he needs to press. I don’t discourage the talent of the player, but he’s no more a talent because it’s his fourth, fifth season in the Premier League – he’s a first team player and you need to show that.

7.35pm BST

Townsend won. Zaha is miffed.

7.34pm BST

Currently on Sky, Andros Townsend and Wilf Zaha are playing each other in an extended advert for Fifa 17.

7.15pm BST

“If we are going to achieve what we want to achieve this season, we need to win the game on Friday,” says Romelu Lukaku. Strong words.

7.13pm BST

One person who isn’t in the Palace side, though, is Yohan Cabaye, who has started only two league games this season, the last of them on 20 August (the two games he started are also the only games Palace have lost).

PARDEW: Leaving Yo out of the side shows the strength of the team because he hasn't been playing badly. #CPFC

7.02pm BST

So Wilfried Zaha is fit and starts, alongside Andros Townsend and Jason Puncheon, in a totally offensive (in a positive footballing sense) Palace side.

7.01pm BST

The team sheets are in, and these are the names upon them:

Everton: Stekelenburg, Coleman, Jagielka, Ashley Williams, Oviedo, Cleverley, Barry, Gana, Bolasie, Lukaku, Barkley. Subs: Robles, Mirallas, Lennon, Valencia, Funes Mori, Davies, Holgate.
Crystal Palace: Mandanda, Ward, Tomkins, Delaney, Kelly, McArthur, Ledley, Townsend, Puncheon, Zaha, Christian Benteke. Subs: Flamini, Cabaye, Campbell, Hennessey, Lee, Fryers, Wickham.
Referee: Jon Moss.

| Team news! Here's our XI and subs to face @CPFC – COYB! #EFCmatchday pic.twitter.com/a7MEh0Ep9l

Here is tonight's Palace line-up: #EVECRY pic.twitter.com/hs2RQacDt8

2.58pm BST

Win and they’ll be second in the table. Draw and they’ll be third. Lose and they could be overtaken by Crystal Palace. This is the equation facing Everton this evening. Entertainment should be guaranteed, given the presence of wingy wingers in both teams – Wilfried Zaha is apparently fit to play for Palace, Andros Townsend is in full flow, while Yannick Bolasie faces his former chums – and prolific burly Belgian hitmen for all of them to feed: Romelu Lukaku has scored three goals in his last four games against Palace, while Christian Benteke has scored four goals in his last five games against Everton.

Townsend is one of the few Palace players who Bolasie doesn’t know particularly well, though they aren’t complete strangers. “We played against each other in the Newcastle-Palace game last season,” Townsend has revealed, “and had a bit of banter because I think I ran back and dispossessed him.” Good times, good times.

2.32pm BST

Here’s something that Jacob Steinberg thinks you should look out for tonight:

Briefly tipped as unlikely title contenders, Everton have had a deflating couple of weeks since beating Middlesbrough on 10 September, following up their exit from the EFL Cup at the hands of Norwich City by losing at Bournemouthlast weekend. Ronald Koeman was deeply unimpressed with his team’s performance in the 1-0 defeat to Bournemouth and, for now, Everton’s task is to show their new manager that they can live up to expectations on a consistent basis. Players such as Romelu Lukaku and Ross Barkley have so much more to offer and Koeman will demand a response when Crystal Palace, energised by Christian Benteke’s goals, come to town on Friday night.

Related: Premier League: 10 things to look out for this weekend

Continue reading…
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton 1-1 Crystal Palace, Premier League RESULT: Christian Benteke cancels out Romelu Lukaku opener via Daily Mail

It was the battle of the Belgians at Goodison Park on Friday as a goal apiece from Romelu Lukaku and Christian Benteke ensured the spoils were shared. JOHN DOWNES brought you the LIVE coverage.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton 1-1 Crystal Palace: Christian Benteke cancels out Romelu Lukaku’s stunning free-kick as Belgian duo ensure spoils are shared at Goodison via Daily Mail

DOMINIC KING AT GOODISON PARK: It was battle of the Belgians at Goodison Park on Friday night as a goal apiece from Romelu Lukaku and Christian Benteke ensured the spoils were shared.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Gareth Southgate keeps tabs on Jack Wilshere and Ross Barkley as England interim boss prepares to name squad via Daily Mail

Gareth Southgate is considering handing Ross Barkley an instant England recall for the World Cup qualifying double header against Malta and Slovenia. Barkley was axed by Sam Allardyce.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Damien Delaney hails Crystal Palace character after Everton draw, insisting ‘we’ll always stick at it and keep going’ via Daily Mail

Romelu Lukaku's free-kick ensured Palace went into the break behind but they equalised through a Christian Benteke header in a second half they looked like the team most likely to go on and win.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back