Everton Standard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats kind of what I mean.

Nice guys come last?

This pretty much.

From AJ's pens to robbery's at derbys, to helping lads up who booted them 10 mins ago, to not complaining when people come in knee high and asking refs not to send them off.

All commendable but the only thing people remember is the name on the trophy. IMO this attitude costs us 10pts a season.

Off the pitch the clubs appears to conduct itself well and that transmits to the players and most fans too.

The FA should be the moral guardians of the game not us.

If we did start becoming more of a snidey, diving team, would it help us reach a higher position on the table? Not sure myself. Look at Baines's reaction to scoring his pen the other day, that had winner all over his face, without the snide.

Great post mick. I like the way we are, we are not cheats or ********s. I would like to see more snide, like Jonny H's shoulder in the pen shootout or when we are fouled, instead of jumping up to shake the players hand (yeah that fooker who just tried to break your leg) then have a little word to the ref. Pienaar does this a bit, we need to play the game a bit more, bit just not like that crowd over the park Not surrounding the ref, a little word. I love people like bainsey, great pro, same with jags. The younger ones mentioned who laugh and take the p1ss through games like this are billy bigtime boys. I want to see good honest pros. Its a shame Captain Pip isnt a great player coz he's a great pro. Cahill used to give us the kind of snide I like. He's missed. xx

I agree with these. I wouldn't want to see any of that behaviour. Pointing things out to the ref is one thing, put harrassing him and sly tugging/going down easy is not acceptable. Doesn't mean we can't stand up for ourselves, tho, we need someone who can tackle hard but fair. If one of there players tries something put them on their arse the legal way, soon shut them up. And if they foul you and get away with it, just get up, shake their hand, tell em better luck next time and go slam the ball in the back off their net.

Me and davek just to name two of us say this all the time.

I'm not asking for a snide of Suarez-esque proportions - but I'd like a few more "winners" in our side who will take any professional advantage they can reasonably gain.

I'm not talking about blatant cheating; I'm talking about harassing the referee, pointing out things in the box to the referee ahead of every set piece, nullifying one of their big men by holding him down for every corner as the foul is never given, wind opposition up with snidy remarks on the sly - especially those known to throw a rash tackle.

Loads of examples that I'd prefer to see as I firmly believe it's worth two or three places in the league table over the course of a season.

I'm sick of being the "nice guys" - the media don't see us as it anyway, we're the Scouse understudies, "plucky old Everton" etc. I want to see a side who give it a go in every foreseeable way.

This sums up my feelings really.

Good post Mick and I get where you are coming from

Really though, we have never replaced Peter Reid.

I remember a game last season when Drenthe went over a little too easily a few yards inside the oppostions half,Neville was over like a shot b*llocking him and telling him to get up,I do though think we are the victims ourselves of our sportsmanlike attitude.

Just because the players aren't arseholes on the pitch does not mean that they are not winners.

We lose games because of poor play and/or good play from the opposition. How many games do people think we have lost because we didn't surround the ref or didn't wind up the opposition (which may actually happen now and again).

Cahill has been our resident snide for the last few years, now he's gone I think we've lost that edge. We need someone else who will do it. Darren Gibson does tend to keep talking to the ref throughout game though, obviously something he's picked up from being at Utd.

We need to continue to stand tall. It rattles me when the likes of carragher and suarez react to something they don't like and play to the crowd and try and referee the game themselves. I am a huge fan of jelavic however he does need to have a bit more Graeme Sharp about him and grow a pair.

Like i said i think we need to continue to stand tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back