Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
At some point, we’re going to have to stop trying to make a little go a long way. We’ll have to pay more upfront for 2 players rather than trying to make it stretch to 4. Otherwise we’ll be left with players we simply don’t want.

It’s getting close to crunch time if we want players in for the start of the season, which is very important.

The way it's going, I'm half expecting the horse punchers to chance their arm with a bid for DCL late in the window, him to see how utterly hopeless we are and hand in a transfer request to force the move, and us to be scrabbling around trying to find a late replacement when there are none we can get at short notice.

Seems to be all that's missing from this current tale of joy.

At some point, we’re going to have to stop trying to make a little go a long way. We’ll have to pay more upfront for 2 players rather than trying to make it stretch to 4. Otherwise we’ll be left with players we simply don’t want.

It’s getting close to crunch time if we want players in for the start of the season, which is very important.
Yes but it looks like with Cornet we were trying to spend the Moise Kean money (buy now pay later). Not a bad idea if we can manage it and then the Richarlison money would be used across a couple more.

It’s not a terrible idea but we might have to move on from it.

We sold Richi for £60m, and half of that would buy the Italy's number 9... but he's on the verge of joining West Ham. We're skint.
Problem is we don’t know how much of that was up front and how much performance based add ons. Plus we don’t know if it was swallowed up by FFP sanctions that were rumoured the premier league had placed on us. (The story we had to sell Richy by a certain time)
Judging by all the low bids and loan deals we are trying it looks like we don’t have a pot to P in.

Because 6 players account for 290 million pounds! Lukaku, Stones, Barkley, Gueye, Richarlison Digne

So even if we just account for those 6 players (even thought there’s been many other sales too), our expenditure since Moshiri joined has been partly funded by those sales. It’s important because you can’t say the squad has had 600 million of investment without also saying it’s had half that figure of value taken out of it!

The squad is only as good as the players in it so if you’re bringing in new players but then selling your best players at the same time you then can’t turn around and go ‘look the squad has improved by the value of those players we’ve brought in’, surely you see that?

The squad is a lot poorer than it should be, no question about that, but I still maintain my point that if you take the best players down the spine of the team out of any team in the world they suffer, taken them out of any team outside the top 6 regardless of their expenditure and they will have a poor season no question.

We had a decade and a half under Moyes and Martinez surviving on absolute scraps in comparison to the rest of the league. We had a bit of a blow out under Koeman Silva and Carlo (half of which has been clawed back by selling most of our top players) and now we’re back to counting the pennies and looking for cheap deals.

People can spin whatever story they want to hate on Everton but the laziest of the lot of them is ‘I’m just going to count the money spent in an exact period of the last 5 years, I’ll ignore all player sales in that period as well, and then bang on about how Everton have spent so much money’

Without doing detailed sums we’re probably looking at about 40-50 mill net spend every season under Moshiri. After decades of previous under investment, that’s hardly an eye watering figure to try and close the gap on teams above us who can splash that entire amount on one player without hesitating. Yes we’ve spent most of it badly but if you really think we should have a squad at this point than can survive losing its best centreback and best striker for an entire season without impact then that feels to me a massive over expectation.
So you’ve just proven my point we’ve spent £600m (because we have, that’s what has left our account to play for other players) on crap.

And as I said previously, no other team would be that poor in the league, after spending that much money, that they solely reliant on 3 players.

So after a lot of going around in circles you’ve agreed. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back