Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has a goal or assist evry 3.5 games. Thats along the lines of many of our and many other attackers, and Pienaar when playing for us.

I'm not wanting to argue with other fans, but I see some value in taking players like this.

If we had millions and millions to spend, my thoughs would be different.
Last season he scored 3 and got 0 assist in 33 games....

Moneyball Pioneer you are not.

5 goals total last season, across La Liga, Copa Del Rey and EL.

Last season's goal contributions were one in 5.3.

Started 17 games in the league. Was subbed off in 16.

Admittedly, the two seasons before last his numbers were better than I would have expected, but there was a pretty sharp drop-off last year.

That will be due to the contract situation.

AC Milan & Roma was very close to taking him in January this year, so he had clearly seen his future at another club.

Taking his name away from it...and im convinced thats why so many are so againts it, his numbers are decent, and its what will be looked at.

You asked.

Scored or was assisted a goal every 3.5 games. (same output as Pienaar - for stat comparison)
Played in Europe last season
Scored 5 goals in European competition last season.,
27 years old
Free transfer

If you offered these facts to someone, without telling them the players name, i think most people would say that this profile of player, is worth the very low risk.

Is that really that much of a shocking thought ??!
Those stats aren't remotely close to being true though. He's only ever scored more than 5 goals in all competitions in a season once in his career, 3 years ago, nevermind scoring 5 in a single season just in Europe. That season he scored 8 goals, with 4 of them coming against basically amateur opponents in the Copa Del Rey. He's obviously not a dreadful player or he wouldn't be a pro but he's definitely no where near as good as you're making him out to be.

AC Milan & Roma was very close to taking him in January this year, so he had clearly seen his future at another club.

Taking his name away from it...and im convinced thats why so many are so againts it, his numbers are decent, and its what will be looked at.
So he had his head turned and downed tools?

VALUE

Those stats aren't remotely close to being true though. He's only ever scored more than 5 goals in all competitions in a season once in his career, 3 years ago, nevermind scoring 5 in a single season just in Europe. That season he scored 8 goals, with 4 of them coming against basically amateur opponents in the Copa Del Rey. He's obviously not a dreadful player or he wouldn't be a pro but he's definitely no where near as good as you're making him out to be.

Nowere have I said how good I think he is.

I have said over and over his profile could represent value....and I can see why a DOF would be interested.

I do like signings like this, as it does show a little imagination in a market we have previously showed none.

Look, if he is THE Gordon replacement then it would be terrible....BUT many of you (maybe not you, but many blues) think Gordon is pants anyway.

Why don’t they want him now he’s a free agent?

What I'm guessing is it's basically a case of the club saying to him, "you can go if you're really not arsed but if you're staying you have to work hard", it's all a bit of a shame really. That being said if he's really not up for it then he should go, can't fault the club for trying with him because everyone knows there's a player in there, he's already shown it.

On pure business terms though we'll probably make profit off of him because literally any fee if it's a loan or transfer will be alright. He's also not even on giant wages or anything apparently so if he goes it's a good deal all around for us and realistically I suppose he doesn't even really need replacing as he's not made an impact at all here yet and generally has just been another body 90% of the time.
I don't think the structure of the deal with Spurs is really helpful for him either TBF. Not saying we were wrong to structure it like that, but for the player himself it's not ideal. It puts a lot of pressure on the player to show he's worth the extra outlay that each appearance milestone creates. And on the other hand the club is going to be extra careful to manage his appearances whereas under another type of deal he might have been given a run of games to show what he can do.

Get both and Brerenton Diaz. That's the Gordon money hopefully and my god they'd be some replacements. You'd effectively have a new great front three and we could definitely afford them. Genuinely could be season changing additions.

That’s more like the calibre of player we should be in for, those two and then Broja / Gallagher included in the deal (loan or otherwise) would be a decent return for Gordon

Well, they are Champions, so have actual money to spend.

Rather than an affective option that may help them in January......but we are obviously too good for this type of player.

But he’s free so there’s no risk is there? Why don’t they just get him in as a squad player, no risk?

We’re not “too good” for him no, but we want to be better so shouldn’t sign players like him. If we want to stay a relegation battling mess of a club then yes get him in by all means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back