Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s not really true though is it? I know that a lot of these aren’t academy graduates but off the top of my head, these all broke through whilst still able to represent their country at U21 level I believe:

Tom Davies, someone just mentioned over 100 games for us
Holgate, started young must’ve played a similar amount to Davies
Godfrey, came in with only 1 years prem experience, still young, played U21 whilst with us
DCL, played his way into the England squad from never playing premier league
Richarlison, played his way into being Brazil’s first choice striker with us, can’t remember his age when signed but still young
Pickford, signed him young for a keeper if I recall, became England’s number one whilst with us

Seeing as none of our failed youth players have gone on to set the world alight elsewhere (I can only think of Lookman and Lundstram of any note who both got relegated last year) I’d suggest we play players on merit regardless of age
i recently did a list of our under 23's title winning team and the amount of them playing in division 2 or lower is crazy

compared to other clubs academy's, especially Chelsea's ours is poor, we don't produce enough players who can compete at an elite level

£5m is generous. Yes the guy is young but he plays second choice to that former Newcastle player and plays like 7 times for his club.
5m for Patterson is insane. The kopite wouldnt even play him in dead rubber games when they'd already won the league. Kennys better than him and kennys not worth 5m

Come on Torino throw £30 million at us for Kean.
Wonder if we were really interested in McKennie, that Kean could return to them as part-payment.

They wanted him a year ago after all, and not much has changed since then. Kean has goals under his belt at PSG since.

Probably not though. Juve would probably suggest a two-year loan for him or something.

EDIT: It would still leave us needing to replace Kean, but that's the lesser problem than shifting him.

That’s not really true though is it? I know that a lot of these aren’t academy graduates but off the top of my head, these all broke through whilst still able to represent their country at U21 level I believe:

Godfrey, came in with only 1 years prem experience, still young, played U21 whilst with us
Richarlison, played his way into being Brazil’s first choice striker with us, can’t remember his age when signed but still young
Pickford, signed him young for a keeper if I recall, became England’s number one whilst with us

Seeing as none of our failed youth players have gone on to set the world alight elsewhere (I can only think of Lookman and Lundstram of any note who both got relegated last year) I’d suggest we play players on merit regardless of age

Oh my god please tell me you aren’t using these players as examples of us developing youth? The 3 players cost a combined £100m, that is absolutely ridiculous.

Yes, what @windymiller said was true. Our youth academy is failing. The fact that “none of our youth players have gone on to set the world alight” is pretty much the issue.

So before the window slams shut its being reported that PSG want Richarlison, I feel like this is really close to the deadline now, also it is predicated on Real Madrid signing Mbappe.
Mbappe only has 1 year left on his PSG contract, I think it is nailed on he will see out his contract and walk, getting himself probably the biggest payday possible. Therefore I dont think Richarlison will go this summer but I wouldn't be surprised if PSG sounded him out about joining next summer.

35 Mil Richarlison and 25 Mil Pickford dont count and you know it

Godfrey, Pickford, Richarlison and DCL didn't come through our youth system and went straight into the first team squad, Holgate only did a year in the u23s, I think, after arriving from Barnsley. Davies did come through, it's true, as did Gordon but that's a poor reflection on our youth system if in 6 or 7 years we can only manage two bit part players.

Small handled the situation very poorly, however if he couldn't see a path through to the first team I don't blame him for leaving. Players like Garbutt, Pennington, Broadhead etc.. hang around Everton for the wages, get nowhere near the first team and sacrifice their careers in doing so. I think Small is correct not going down that route.

We hang on to players too long, we (Unsworth) prioritise success in meaningless u23 leagues when we should be using those competitions to get young players used to the system the first team plays and to get a look at players in a competitive environment. No player should do more than 2-3 years in the u23s, at that point they are either good enough for the first team squad or they should be released/moved on. Our youth set up is not fit for purpose, Unsworth and the rest of the set up should be moved on and a competent DoF should be in charge of instituting a consistent footballing culture all the way through the club. We both know that won't happen, sadly.

Last edited:
Oh my god please tell me you aren’t using these players as examples of us developing youth? The 3 players cost a combined £100m, that is absolutely ridiculous.

Yes, what @windymiller said was true. Our youth academy is failing.

I agree regarding the youth set up, it is not providing players for the first team the way that it once had. I feel like the chopping and changing of managers has not helped this, often new managers want to make signings to put their own stamp on the team, rather than looking to the academy.

Status
Not open for further replies.