Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming any of these many reports of the last few days are true - so BIG caveat there - there would appear to be a cohesive plan of sorts.

We seem to have scrounged up around £35-40 million somehow, maybe from Kean or something else not yet announced. But we have to fill three positions with that - RB, striker, and another winger.

Plan A was to spread that money out on some young guys with potential - Patterson for £8, Jebbison for £5 or Hoppe for less than that, and then £25 for Diaz with James as the makeweight.

But none of the other clubs would go for those deals, so we’re moving to plan B, which seems to be cheap veterans like AMN on loan and Rondon on a free I guess, and then maybe putting the entire amount we have to spend on an even-more-promising CHO? In which case, we may just give away James for free to get rid of his wages?

Could make some sense of all this I guess.

You forgot a few.

Josh King was a bust in January, but low-risk, looked like he filled a need, and tbf I think Carlo didn't give him a fair shot.

Olsen was decent business; he pushed Pickford, filled in well, and might have been an acquisition had his family not been attacked with machetes.

Nkonkou has looked good, sometimes sensational, in limited appearances. He may not have a first team future but he has that potential and should at the very least turn a profit.

Most of all, Godfrey, and he was the best get of all in terms of setting us up for the future. He may be a starting CB for several years. He's physically gifted, skilled, has the nous and the temperament. Might be captain material.

Allan is 30 but Doucore is 28, probably his resale value has peaked but you could still call him in the prime of his career for maybe a couple more years. I don't mind a couple of older players.

Brands gets killed here, not without reason, but give him credit for the good deals he's made. James, Allan, Doucore, Godfrey, Nkonkou, Olsen, King, that's a pretty good window especially compared to what's come before.
I didn’t forget anyone lad I just talked about the players I didn’t think had been very good deals. Godfrey is a good one nkounkou I have no idea but I’m not counting him as good yet and anyone who does is taking massive liberties with reality Olsen was fine not sure how much difference he made suppose we’ll never know and king wasn’t last summer so doesn’t need mentioning. If we finish sixth this year I’ll look at it different but if we finish tenth or done thing again then no amount of positive thinking is going to convince me that spending over 40 mil on two midfielders of that age and giving James however much in wages was a sound business plan sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back