Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Execute the takedown!

We don't have marquee and someone gotta pay.
giphy.gif

I don't want to knock The Esk because I think all his posts are in good faith and to the best of his knowledge, accurate, but some of the bedwetters are making some vaild points. Doesn't mean they're right but they are bringing up decent arguments.

I think many people that are a bit negative atm aren't just on one because they expected world class players to come in and because our net spend isn't impressive I think it's because whichever way you look at it and despite us improving our team and the squad, currently, if we don't sign a good 2nd striker and possibly another CM, maybe even goalkeeper too, we will struggle if we pick up injuries.

If we are serious about becoming a major force, even without the ability to attract top players, we still should have a stronger squad than we currently have to make sure we don't lose momentum due to injuries, loss of form.

Will we manage to get in the players we need tomorrow? maybe, maybe not, it's always a lottery on deadline day and that's where the negative posters angst is coming from imo.

It's not just a case of we can't attract the top players either to me, the next wave of big name players are out there, currently playing for smaller teams. Big clubs miss loads of talented players when they're young. Yes, some would turn us down but some wouldn't as we can offer them a step up in their career and far better wages.

It's down to our manager, dof and scouting network to find, highlight and check the availability and willingness of players to come to us ahead of time so that we don't end up in the position we will be in tomorrow. In that respect we've failed, because we're playing the lottery and hoping we get lucky.

I'm not saying it's easy to pull off but we've spent how many weeks wasting time on unrealistic targets when we could have been focussing on players that were more likely to come to us. We took a gamble and unless any of those big signings come off tomorrow then it was one we lost.

If that's the case it was an error of judgement from the club. Hopefully they'll pull off a blinder and suprise us all tomorrow with some great signings to fill the gaps in the squad but I can totally understand why some people are a bit worried.

Thats a good post but I think you've answered your own question really mate. People at the club probably misjudged how attractive we could be and who we could attract. There was an error of judgement. This happens, only people who make no decisions make no wrong decisions.

We can sit here and quibble the flexibility and how quickly we changed strategy but I can't knock the club for trying to acquire the best. The strategy was clearly sell Stones to allow us to bring lads in on big wages. I think Esk was spot on on that. It didn't work out. Hopefully we can learn from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back