Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ultimately that hasn't happened and we (the club) need to a) assess why, b) sort it and c) get any targets in in January - no excuses.

In the meantime, it's been our best start to a season in over a decade, the team looks sharper, fitter and more organised and the signings we have made have ALL improved the areas of the squad that they fill a role in.

We still have gaps and the fact that they (GK, AM/CM) haven't been addressed is poor, and I'm not shying away from that fact.

Anybody writing the season off due to a poor end to the window needs to give their head a wobble though.

Ok just to pick up on two points

What do you base assessing and sorting it by january? Genuine question here, considering for the last 20 years, and certainly over the last 15 we have been terrible at transfers. Nothing has changed no matter what year, how much we have had, or who owns the club. What faith do you have that this will be assessed and fixed? Because personally i don't have any, not any more. the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Also the season is 38 games mate. Basing optimism on 3 of them is a little short sighted. I am optimisitic for this season, i believe we will finish top 6 and get europa again, and potentially can see a good cup run as well. nothing in that regard has changed, i believe Koeman will get that for us. But the bigger picture here is what happens when Lukaku is injured? When Barkley is injured? When Gueye is injured? We saw what not having an out and out striker will do for our attack against west brom, now we essentially have valencia and kone to do that? they will score 10 goals between them this season, and kone won't contribute to that total.

All i am saying is i am fine for us to go through a rough spell during a season, only natural. but to have chance and the issues be glaring beacons which we haven't sorted being a factor in that, then it is only creating a massive obstacle that was un necessary.

Personally i am done with transfer windows now with everton. Same as i feel about derby games, i'm just done with them. No enthusiasm anymore. Have been let down far too many times when i have raised my hopes that i see nothing will change. We can talk about all the money in the world, if we aren't going to spend it then what is the point in having any enthusiasm? Just support the team no matter what it looks like pretty much .

The reaction of fans is normally the most accurate thing to go on. Panic buy and most probably a waste of wages but unlike Niasse at least he was only a loan.

That's three windows in a row the club have failed to get their targets. I think getting McCarthy, Barry and Lukaku in one window on TDD has given them the false impression that it's good to wait till the end for bargains.

You are a fan, and your reaction has been laughable Marty. So I don't think it would be the best barometer to be honest.

We can't sign players in January to satisfy STCC for next year. It's a lie I already caught him in.

If we sign a player in January then we only pay him for 6 months which will increase the wage bill this season for 6 months of his contract.

However next season we have to pay him for 12 months so we are 6 months short.

This means that if we increase our wage bill with players on contracts that cost 14m per year we effectively can't spend at all in the summer. If we increase it with players on contracts that cost 7m per year we can only then increase if by a further 3.5m in the summer etc

One top player is on around 5m-8m a year.

So next year's STCC limit is very much a factor in January. It was a lie simply to justify the selling of Stones. If we were worried about STCC we would have signed Hart and Bony and gladly paid their huge wages.

It's quite simple.

This year (2016/17), in order to increase wages from last year (2015/16) by more than £7m we had to do one of two things. We could increase non-broadcasting revenues, i.e. commercial, sponsorship or matchday income or we would have to rely upon player trading profits. Given the potential to increase non-broadcasting revenues is minimal this year, the only viable option was to generate player trading profits. John Stones was used as the example in my original article as (i) he was likely to be sold anyway and (ii) he represented the greatest player trading profit opportunity.

The wages of anyone bought in the winter window will be included in the 2016/17 calculation.

In 2017/18 we can spend £14 million more on wages than we did in 2015/16 before we need look at increasing non-broadcasting revenues or generating player trading profits. One difference next season is that we have the potential to significantly increase our sponsorship revenues as the Chang deal concludes in May 2017. So for example a £5 million increase in those revenues would be added to the permitted upper wage limit. If our wage bill increased beyond that level, and we had no additional increases in non-broadcasting revenues then we would again have to fund the difference with player trading profits.

Finally you assertion that you have "already caught me" in a "lie" is a rather strange and misleading claim which I expect you to withdraw.

It's quite simple.

This year (2016/17), in order to increase wages from last year (2015/16) by more than £7m we had to do one of two things. We could increase non-broadcasting revenues, i.e. commercial, sponsorship or matchday income or we would have to rely upon player trading profits. Given the potential to increase non-broadcasting revenues is minimal this year, the only viable option was to generate player trading profits. John Stones was used as the example in my original article as (i) he was likely to be sold anyway and (ii) he represented the greatest player trading profit opportunity.

The wages of anyone bought in the winter window will be included in the 2016/17 calculation.

In 2017/18 we can spend £14 million more on wages than we did in 2015/16 before we need look at increasing non-broadcasting revenues or generating player trading profits. One difference next season is that we have the potential to significantly increase our sponsorship revenues as the Chang deal concludes in May 2017. So for example a £5 million increase in those revenues would be added to the permitted upper wage limit. If our wage bill increased beyond that level, and we had no additional increases in non-broadcasting revenues then we would again have to fund the difference with player trading profits.

Finally you assertion that you have "already caught me" in a "lie" is a rather strange and misleading claim which I expect you to withdraw.
Tar for the explanation and working out. So selling Stones can be used to increase the wage budget considerably for the next year or two. Hope we take advantage of that.

Also @MartyMcFly i look forward to your response and retracting of such claim against Esk. Or not. Please explain why if not.

Tar for the explanation and working out. So selling Stones can be used to increase the wage budget considerably for the next year or two. Hope we take advantage of that.

No, the profit from selling Stones (for sake of argument £40 million) only applies in this current year 2016/17. It has no effect on what we can spend on wages in 2017/18.

When I have time I'll calculate this years wages and show a more detailed picture.

No, the profit from selling Stones (for sake of argument £40 million) only applies in this current year 2016/17. It has no effect on what we can spend on wages in 2017/18.

When I have time I'll calculate this years wages and show a more detailed picture.
So that indicates we will have to go big in January? Not the ideal window to be fishing around in but if we do our homework abroad then we will get to save on transfer fees with some Bosmans.

Ok just to pick up on two points

What do you base assessing and sorting it by january? Genuine question here, considering for the last 20 years, and certainly over the last 15 we have been terrible at transfers. Nothing has changed no matter what year, how much we have had, or who owns the club. What faith do you have that this will be assessed and fixed? Because personally i don't have any, not any more. the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Also the season is 38 games mate. Basing optimism on 3 of them is a little short sighted. I am optimisitic for this season, i believe we will finish top 6 and get europa again, and potentially can see a good cup run as well. nothing in that regard has changed, i believe Koeman will get that for us. But the bigger picture here is what happens when Lukaku is injured? When Barkley is injured? When Gueye is injured? We saw what not having an out and out striker will do for our attack against west brom, now we essentially have valencia and kone to do that? they will score 10 goals between them this season, and kone won't contribute to that total.

All i am saying is i am fine for us to go through a rough spell during a season, only natural. but to have chance and the issues be glaring beacons which we haven't sorted being a factor in that, then it is only creating a massive obstacle that was un necessary.

Personally i am done with transfer windows now with everton. Same as i feel about derby games, i'm just done with them. No enthusiasm anymore. Have been let down far too many times when i have raised my hopes that i see nothing will change. We can talk about all the money in the world, if we aren't going to spend it then what is the point in having any enthusiasm? Just support the team no matter what it looks like pretty much .

I have faith because we no longer have a manager who will settle for second best, and due to the expectation that came (wherever it was fueled from) this summer, there will be questions asked - and answers will need to be given.

Equally, being negative about a season because of a poor end to a solid transfer window is silly mate. You know that. You need to calm - as Bolasie would say.

Weirdly enough, right, on a totally different point, I had a frigging awful dream last night.

It was weird - Anfield derby, we go 1-0 down (weirdly enough, a night game, but it was Ronny K in charge).

Must've been after Jan though, cos we'd signed Brahimi, and he gets through on goal, open net - skies it from four yards out.

Fans despair. Ronny's head has fell off.

Stevie G comes on gets a hat-trick.

It all got pretty trippy after that tbh

With a calmer head today it's time to reflect on the actual window as a whole, Stones leaving was a blow but we had no option really. Overall the squad is better, Williams, Bolasie and Gueye are all contributing so far. Williams is a leader which we have lacked in recent seasons. Steklenburg has held his own so far, but still baffling we never made a play for Joe Hart.

Moshiri made it clear he wanted to make a splash, this was probably a mistake, agents used us as pawns to either force their players to get improved contracts or move to other clubs. We have been linked with big players, Witzel, Mata, Carvalho, Brahimi, Koulibaly and Sissoko. How many of them did we actually show a genuine interest in??

We aimed big but fell short, yes we may have more money but every club has more, 13 clubs broke its record transfer fee this summer. The only way we will beat clubs to the Sissokos of this world is to actually qualify for Europe and start winning trophies, more importantly we have held onto Barkley and Lukaku and got rid of McGeady, Osman,Howard and Hibbert. The young players Holgate,Davies and Dowell have all made major strides and more importantly we have made a solid start to the season.

Walsh and Koeman identified players they wanted they don't look after getting them over the line. Whoever was responsible I'm sure is getting a slap on the wrist from Moshiri.

Rome wasn't built in a day, we had 16 years of frustration under Kenwright and 3 failed ground moves I can live with 6 months where we have got a good manager and improved the squad and seem to be closer to a new ground move.

NSNO

Not fallen into darkness at all, just contrasting the outcome versus the opportunity. The hardest thing in business is not closing deals it's getting into position to close deals and all the processes you need to go through to get to that position.

We were in position on so many deals this summer and failed to close them - that's the issue that needs addressing. I'll write more tomorrow about this.
Look forward to it

So that indicates we will have to go big in January? Not the ideal window to be fishing around in but if we do our homework abroad then we will get to save on transfer fees with some Bosmans.

That was my understanding. We HAVE to. Say if we qualified for europe for next season, we would then have to sell another player for a massive fee to be able to compensate the bulking up of the squad we'd have to do as a result of europe.

Our fixture list is fairly kind for the next couple of months, we need to take advantage of that and be a more attractive proposition than we were this summer. Whether we want to go back and deal with the clubs and players who have shafted us this summer is another thing. But you'd expect players ala juan mata who will get less game time than they anticipated may become available as well as those whose contracts are running down. We may be better in the long run with the manager and DoF further into their job roles and more knowledgeable on what we require.

As long as nobody starts a bloody janruary transfer thread today, i'll be happy.

Should hope somebody is willing to take Niasse on loan to pay at least something towards his wages, even like 30%. What a complete and utter leech he is. Literally everybody knew before we even signed him he'd be a disaster. I guess sometimes fans really do know better.

He's not a leach mate.

The club ( Martinez and his scouts ) didn't do their homework properly, if at all.

They offered him a contract, which he duly signed, undoubtedly he couldn't believe his luck.

Did he have a duty to say to the club - " sorry I'm turbo gash and I'm not worth anything at all " then walk away ?.

OR

Should the club have scouted him properly, realised that there's better lads playing on local parks and walked away ?.

It's been done to death this, the blame lies fairly and squarely on the shoulders of Martinez and co, not Niaase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back