Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell you what Dave, I wish I had your free time! On here 23hrs a day and still got time to watch every game of football played on god's green earth! (I mean you've got to get pretty far down the list to start watching random Hearts games)
I watch very little football in comparison with most, as it happens. It's just that - when I do - I know what's potential and what's not when I see it.

To be honest with you .
In this day and age with modern technology and vast scouting systems anything other than young players are well known to to all the top clubs.
There's rarely any older ones that havent been noticed.
Long gone are the days of Tim Cahill mate.
I'm not talking about signing people from the 4th tier of Madagascan football like. I'm saying that the likes of Robertson, Mane, Van Dijk, Wijnaldum etc were players who we could have been picking up before they became the household names they are now. I'm saying that we paid a combined £75m for Richarlison and Mina, when both of them had moved within the previous 12 months for about a quarter of that. There is value to be had in the market, same as there always has been. For whatever reason, in the last 5/6 years we haven't been great at finding it.

I watch very little football in comparison with most, as it happens. It's just that - when I do - I know what's potential and what's not when I see it.
4bujyn.webp

Something doesn't add up...

Yes, and he has since explained to you that he wasn't talking about signing players for the under 23s. I said I wasn't talking about under 23s either, and yet you've given a load of examples of...under 23s. I'm not saying we're not trying or it's dead easy or whatever. I'm just saying it often feels like we're shopping in a pretty obvious market and it's not really got us anywhere. Look at the sides around us in the table last year and compare the profile of most of their squads to ours. They are generally comprised of cheaper and less well known players, and yet they are competing (and in some cases outperforming) us. I've said before, 90% of the Liverpool squad that's just won the league would have been attainable for us at some point and instead we've overpaid elsewhere. We need to try to identify players who are capable of performing at a very high level for us but haven't yet hit the big time. It's the only way we can build a side to compete in my opinion. They are out there, but we've not been very good at getting them in for whatever reason.

Agree completely.

Its all very obvious.....and boring.

Now, maybe all these linked players are not even real links, lazy media stories, or is that more in hope.

We was linked with Arias last summer and maybe even the jan before that....was it a lazy Brands link ???
Why are we now closer to getting him ?? is it desperation ??
In the last 18 months / 2 years....no player has been scouted or identified at right back that could take push Coleman or even replace him?!!

The question in all of this would be- is he better than Sidibe?

It seems to me that we may just buy 1 right sided player, who can cover both right back and right hand side of midfield. It doesn't look like we want to spend a fortune, which I have to say seems a sensible ploy.

As with all of these players who are mid to high 20's, what is key critical is we don't spend fortunes on them. If loans are available, or reduced fee options, then it can hopefully provide something of a sticking plaster for us as we move foward.

Defensively, I think he is better, yes. So a good starting point.
I think Sidibé is a pretty poor benchmark for us though, even if we are talking a low fee for Arias.

This (Arias) type signing gets to the crux of the matter for me. It would have to be seen in the context of the overall business done by the end of the window. There is an particular onus on us now to be self-sustaining in transfers within a few years. It's just "ok" if we sign Arias as cover or as someone who fundamentally isn't going to offer anything significantly more or less than what Coleman gives us.

I think though by and large, if you're going down that road then there must be younger alternatives out there, who offer at least the prospect in theory and over time, of being a much better bet for RB over the longer-term. We need to look at every position like that.

Arias was Brands player, so from the outset you couldn't be blamed for suggesting its a safe, lazy type signing from his book of useful contacts. We are going to have to progress out of that zone to a much greater degree, and get to a position where the bulk of our signings are going to offer us either 5-10 years in the starting eleven, or be worth a hefty profit, should we sell them. Arias would offer us neither.

I'm not talking about signing people from the 4th tier of Madagascan football like. I'm saying that the likes of Robertson, Mane, Van Dijk, Wijnaldum etc were players who we could have been picking up before they became the household names they are now. I'm saying that we paid a combined £75m for Richarlison and Mina, when both of them had moved within the previous 12 months for about a quarter of that. There is value to be had in the market, same as there always has been. For whatever reason, in the last 5/6 years we haven't been great at finding it.
Walsh was brought in for that specific reason failed failed dramatically.

Robertson ,Mane ,Van Dyiik & Winaldum were all before Brands came in .
Pretty much every fan in the land can ask why their club didnt sign them.
Unfortunately we spent money like a drunken sailor's first night ashore.
We are hamstrung until that mess is sorted out , but the shoots are there with Branthwaite & Nkounku and I see that continuing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back