Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that Mina was out for 7 games as I thought it was more. Though I'm sure he went off twice injured (Wolves away and a game early in the season I can't remember, but played the next game and had to go off again). I was surprised to see he was sub for 6 matches so Keane and Holgate were the preferred pairing for those matches.
Once you get that rep, it's hard to shake. Mina might not seem like a workhorse but he really did put in the minutes last season.

There's no doubt that Tomori is the better and more advanced of the three, but then you would expect that with him being 2 and 4 years older than Gibson and Branthwaite respectively. He would certainly offer more to the squad next season than either of our youngsters.

However he doesn't currently belong to us, and it would probably cost us north of £30m to make that happen at the end of the proposed loan spell, even if we built a clause into the agreement. We could effectively spend the season developing a Chelsea player when we could be developing one of our own.

If we were in Europe next season, I can understand the need for a larger squad and the safety net of having an extra senior defender. But we aren't, so personally I am happy going into the season with 3 senior CBs and one of our youngsters as back up. Some people would argue we need extra because Mina is injury prone, but he played in 29 league games last season, which isn't that bad in fairness.

I'm not against having Tomori per se, I think he's a good player and will get better. I just believe we should be thinking longer term. Even if the intention is to get a fixed price buy clause built into the agreement, I also think going after somebody like Sarr, available on a free, represents better value. Arsenal won't be interested now they've seemingly signed Gabriel and Chelsea have turned their attentions to Thiago Silva.

I suppose I am different to a lot of people here. I think if people do a job for us for a year thats fine. If he does a year for us and is good, thats better than nothing. The issue I would have is if we were fudging the Gibson/Brainthwaite issue. If both of them have good loans lined up, where they will play regularly at championship and above (with a January recall clause) then why not. You do the year with Tomori, and hopefully those 2 come back ready to play. Brainthwaite at Watford and for example say Gibson at Stuttgart would be fantastic.

If you're just fudging the issue with Gibson/Brainthwaite and wasting time then it's not for me. I'd rather we just put our own players in.

Left field view, if we can move Keane or MIna on for decent cash, bring Tomori in on loan and spend the money elsehwre, thats a real positive for me.

Left field view, if we can move Keane or MIna on for decent cash, bring Tomori in on loan and spend the money elsehwre, thats a real positive for me.
I mentioned this in my original post if you recall. I don't have an issue with this in theory. As I say I like Tomori as a player.

The problem with loaning young players out is you lose control of their development. This scenario would allow us to keep one of our youngsters here to develop ourselves.

That is quite incredible really.

And this is why we are having problems now.

I'm not angry or frustrated at how things seem to be unfolding in this window, it was inevitable.

What makes me angry is the sum total of the wreckage of the last five years, to get us to the point we are today.

We are having to act now with one hand tied.

Hi,
it is said that Koeman will fire Rakitic (32 y) al Barça and I think it would be a perfect signing for Everton. He has experience, he's strong, he always plays for the team and the most important thing is that he's a winner, has the mentallity that very often we miss at Everton.
What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back