Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Godfrey, Gbamin and Holgate in the squad we have players who can play multiple positions.

Always comes in handy if others are ahead of them in their primary roles and of course competition and rotation.

Ancelotti developing these types is always exciting looking at the stars hes managed in the past.
Agree with this except for Gbamin. We ain't seen enough of him tbh

I think they're very similar tbh. Gana's passing was and apparently remains underrated.

I'm not sure on this mate. Gana's passing may have been underrated and ok, and his ball carrying in the final season may have been ok, but his USP is that he's an exceptional tackler. He's a bit of a one trick pony, but it's a very good trick.

Allan is much more rounded. He can play the Gana role (and did for Napoli in the CL, and seemingly fell into that here) but he is generally more rounded. He makes less tackles than Gana, but is a better ball carrier, and also good at forward passing.

Allan £21.7m James Free. Those sort of deal.

A lot of that is the age and the wages though isn't it?

Godfreys wages will be low and has 10+ years ahead of him (whereas Allan/James it's 3-4). Norwich have done well to get a group of players, in their early 20's, who are very marketable and probably on less than 20k p/w. I would imagine we pay him 30-40k pw so it's an appealing deal.

A lot of that is the age and the wages though isn't it?

Godfreys wages will be low and has 10+ years ahead of him (whereas Allan/James it's 3-4). Norwich have done well to get a group of players, in their early 20's, who are very marketable and probably on less than 20k p/w. I would imagine we pay him 30-40k pw so it's an appealing deal.

How old is Ronaldo, Messi??

Or else Chelsea have been told to defecate or get off the bowl
Tomori will also be having a word with Fat Frank to see where he fits in the big picture

My reading of Chelsea/Tomori is unless they proactively come back to the table, we will just pursue other avenues.

I do understand the criticism of Brands, I don't think you can be 18th in December, 18 months in to a role and not be under some scrutiny. I always backed him, but did understand the criticism (essentially I think he was not helped out by his manager last season when Silva was here). From a professional standpoint though- and he seems to hold himself in good standing in his conduct, I don't think Chelsea's conduct last season will have sat right with him. What I get from him is he seems to be about building relationships where it works on both sides. He's done deals with Watford when it was hard and also Napoli who are very tricky. He's well liked by Barcelona, respected in Holland and also dealt with Real Madrid. Ancelotti is a massive pull, but there is clearly a competence in dealing with these clubs that I doubt we had when it was Bill, Walsh or Elstone doing transfers. I don't think Barca or Real Madrid would have taken Everton seriously.

I digress slightly, what Chelsea did was poor form. I sense they had said something along the lines of "you can probably have Zouma, but give us time, it's a hard window with no "ins", and if it doesn't happen then you will get Tomori". A few days before the end of the window they pulled the plug on both deals. For Brands, who seems to work on trust, and goes late in windows as a result it put him in an awful position. We were lucky that not signing Zouma didn't really cost us, but it could have done. He put his trust in them, and they let us down.

Anyway, fast forward this summer, we put an offer in to loan Tomori, who seemed to be 5th choice. A good deal for all parties really. The player gets to play, Everton get a good CB, Chelsea get their player improved under the tutelage of Ancelotti, and following the Zouma experience a player who is not ready to play, ready to play. It looked like it was progressing, and then Lampard started dragging his feet and so the games began again. We seemed to move to alternatives quite quickly.

Maybe Chelsea have the view we will just hold on, praying that Ceasars hand falls the right way. They get a lot more from the Tomori deal that we likely do. I don't think Brands will be taken in twice, and it may be the last bit of business we do with Chelsea for a while.

How old is Ronaldo, Messi??

They are older yes, and arguably the 2 greatest players of all time! The market value for players approaching 30 has collapsed really mate, whereas players in their early 20's it has held more steady. It's unerstandable, they are the players who can probbly ride out the pandemic and the dip that will come.

I agree the fee seems high. We've seen a lot of this though with signings thus far, and when the eventual fee is announed, it's much lower than initially reported. I'll wait to see what the final fee is for Godfrey before making a judgement- but yes £20-£26 seems a big fee. I just think Allan/James is a bit of an apples and pairs comparison.

They are older yes, and arguably the 2 greatest players of all time! The market value for players approaching 30 has collapsed really mate, whereas players in their early 20's it has held more steady. It's unerstandable, they are the players who can probbly ride out the pandemic and the dip that will come.

I agree the fee seems high. We've seen a lot of this though with signings thus far, and when the eventual fee is announed, it's much lower than initially reported. I'll wait to see what the final fee is for Godfrey before making a judgement- but yes £20-£26 seems a big fee. I just think Allan/James is a bit of an apples and pairs comparison.

Who is to say Allan and James get there and command the same respect.

In normal times Roma amongst others

The issue we have with Bernard is wages.

Looking back (i'm praying it's not a 5 year deal) a 4 year deal was probably 1 too many. I think we could have easily done a 2 + 1 arrangement (similar to James).

There is no doubt to me Bernard is probably worth £15m quid, but a I'd personally place him at about 80k p/w. So thats 3-4m a year less than he easrns currently. We would need to give him a decent pay off to let him go elsewhere, (which City did with Ottamendi) but it would swallow a lot of the fee.

Going forward the mindset of the club will need to change too. We have gone from a world where we were terrified of losing players so wanted to sign all up to 5 year deals. We now have an owner who will invest, a manager the players want to play for and probably a team who is going to be competing at the right end of the table. Contractual protection becomes less important at this point. It becomes less of a safeguard and more of a drain.

I'm pleased the summer deals were 2 + 1, 3 and 3 + 1 and seems to show there is at least some acknowledgement of this.

Had it been a 3 year deal for Bernard, it would now be his final season, easier to move him on, but if not we would be losing him come June, which in honesty would be fine. He'd have cost the club £22m or whatever in terms of fee and wages, which wouldn't have been a complete disaster.

We are clearly adopting a twin track approach now.. probably to fulfill promises made to Carlo.

We are signing the finished article in Doucoure,Allan and JR... so far.
But, we are also signing for the future in Nkounkou and Godfrey... hopefully.

I have said from the start that a manager like CA did not come here to build a team slowly over a four year period. He realised instantly where the real weakness was in our team... not that it was that hard to do so , but I also think he saw very quickly the talent that was here as well and that includes DCL, Keane,Coleman,Gomes and he saw that he could get so much more out of them.

At the moment I think he is working his magic on Iwobi , he certainly plays him as much as he can and certainly seems to have Iwobi doing everything he can to impress him, Sigurdsson and Bernard the same.

Carlo is just a top top manager.

We are clearly adopting a twin track approach now.. probably to fulfill promises made to Carlo.

We are signing the finished article in Doucoure,Allan and JR... so far.
But, we are also signing for the future in Nkounkou and Godfrey... hopefully.

I have said from the start that a manager like CA did not come here to build a team slowly over a four year period. He realised instantly where the real weakness was in our team... not that it was that hard to do so , but I also think he saw very quickly the talent that was here as well and that includes DCL, Keane,Coleman,Gomes and he saw that he could get so much more out of them.

At the moment I think he is working his magic on Iwobi , he certainly plays him as much as he can and certainly seems to have Iwobi doing everything he can to impress him, Sigurdsson and Bernard the same.

Carlo is just a top top manager.

One important point to note in this, is generally young players don't really progress as well in poor and losing sides. They get bad habits. We've probably seen that in the last 5 years, with Allardyce, Koeman and Martinez and the younger players.

Imagine Gordon looking at James, playing well but knowing he has to continue to improve to get a look in. What is that going to do for his development? It's going to make him even hungrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back