Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
He plays in the same position as Bowen so his game was restricted up until January. Hull were then in freefall. Did you expect a 20/21 year old loanee to prevent that? Did you expect him to stop them going down in his own?

I think the club are more savvy with contracts now and I suspect he would be offered a 1 or possibly a 2 year contract at best. A 1 year means he would still be under 24 on expiry so we would be eligible to compensation if he decided to leave and the £1.5m fee we paid would automatically be taken into account.

As regards young players, I don't believe we do think they are better than they actually are. We just recognise young players are not the finished article and that they can develop. So we don't write them off at 20/22 like some on here do.

Take DCL for instance. Just from your comments in this current discussion I can imagine what you were saying about him a year or more ago, and I bet it wasn't "stick with him lads, he'll come good for us one day" :)

Dcl plays from 2017 when he is under Koeman, Fat Sam, Silva and now Carlo. He consistently gets gametime while Bowler does not make a single appearance for this club and was loaned out and will be 22 in March.

I am all and support young players but they need to show they have a part to play in. Eg. Gordon. I can be critical of Dcl or Holgate but they were in and out of the first team. Bowler is not.

Last edited:
Dcl plays from 2017 when he is under Koeman, Fat Sam, Silva and now Carlo. He consistently gets gametime while Bowler does not make a single appearance for this club and was loaned out and will be 22 in March.

I am all and support young players but they need to show they have a part to play in. Eg. Gordon. I can be critical of Dcl or Holgate but they were in and out of the first team. Bowler is not.
With due respect the competition we have in the squad now is a lot higher than back in those days. After Lukaku went DCLs competition up top was Niasse and Sandro and out wide was Bolasie and Lookman. Holgate had Williams, Keane and an aging Jagielka.

It's a lot harder now for our younger player to break into the squad than it was just 2/3 years ago. If Gordon was around in Barkley's day he ,ay well have played almost as many games.

Look, I'm not saying Bowler is something special or is going to be a world beater. In fact I've already said I think he won't make it here. I'm just saying that, at 21, the club hasn't given up on him yet and he has been showing very encouraging forms for the U23s.

You made a comment about his injury stopping the club getting rid of him. It was off the mark, glib and unfair on the player.

With due respect the competition we have in the squad now is a lot higher than back in those days. After Lukaku went DCLs competition up top was Niasse and Sandro and out wide was Bolasie and Lookman. Holgate had Williams, Keane and an aging Jagielka.

It's a lot harder now for our younger player to break into the squad than it was just 2/3 years ago. If Gordon was around in Barkley's day he ,ay well have played almost as many games.

Look, I'm not saying Bowler is something special or is going to be a world beater. In fact I've already said I think he won't make it here. I'm just saying that, at 21, the club hasn't given up on him yet and he has been showing very encouraging forms for the U23s.

You made a comment about his injury stopping the club getting rid of him. It was off the mark, glib and unfair on the player.

Because I can’t see there is a reason why the club choose not to move him on. Think we have to wait and see. He doesn’t even get a squad number nor train in the first team squad, that is an indication. If he is not injured he would probably move away on loan.

Because I can’t see there is a reason why the club choose not to move him on. Think we have to wait and see. He doesn’t even get a squad number nor train in the first team squad, that is an indication. If he is not injured he would probably move away on loan.
Because he isn't ready now doesn't mean he won't be in 12 months. The fact that he hasn't figured in the first team yet could have as much to do with the quality in the first team these days as it is to do with the lads ability. I mentioned this in my last post but it just went completely over your head

You're one of these people who anonymously write off these young developing players whilst criticising those who support them. Then if they do turn out to be ok like Holgate and DCL just act as if they've been behind them all along.

Because he isn't ready now doesn't mean he won't be in 12 months. The fact that he hasn't figured in the first team yet could have as much to do with the quality in the first team these days as it is to do with the lads ability. I mentioned this in my last post but it just went completely over your head

You're one of these people who anonymously write off these young developing players whilst criticising those who support them. Then if they do turn out to be ok like Holgate and DCL just act as if they've been behind them all along.

This 12 months assumption can apply to anyone. Connolly, Bani or Penno anyone. I think it’s about the chance who will make it here. Gordon getting chances under Carlo at 19 means something is special here. Nkounkou 19 Branthwaite 18.

The difference is both Dcl and Holgate been playing for quite a few years here not playing u23 without an appearance for the first team when they are 21 or 22.

Ok will leave it here.

Last edited:
Exactly.

So no to Milik, but yes to... who?

I still think we will add a pacey attacker before the window closes.
Joao Pedro (19) the young Brazilian so-called wonder kid?at Watford tipped to be better than Ritchie by some. Was great/prolific at Fluminese last few years. Scored 1 and was motm in another already this season for the snake botherers, he's got pace to get into box but don't think/know if he can play wide just seen him play centrally. Maybe Ritchie and Doucoure could persuade him. Imagine the fume from Watford if we took him from them lol

I admire him to a degree but I’m fairly sure at one point they had all terms agreed and he was keen to go but Levy pulled out at the last minute. Good player though for certain.

The Championship has tons of untapped potential and clubs have only just started to realise that which will push prices up as we’ve seen with Watkins and probably Godfrey too I suppose. Definitely where we should’ve been shopping a few years ago with Walsh
I think this will only become more apparent if Brexit is ever sorted out. At the moment any footballer can come to the UK from across Europe and the Championship has a lot of players that wouldn't qualify for a work permit under whatever the new rules will be. I think the Premier will still get top payers from Europe and worldwide, but the lower leagues will probably focus more on home grown talent. More British players will get opportunities in the Championship as will young loanies from Premier clubs.

Should be very interesting how this develops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back