Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, they kind of missed their timeframe to capture everyone’s excitement. When we already know all three are in it’s more a feeling of “get it over with”
I remember when I just read a paragraph about Materazzi, Bakayoko and Dacourt signing in the paper and that was that.

There are cheap squad players available but I'll get laughed at, Josh King can play out wide and up top in the final year of contract would be a nice bench option, depending on the young left back we signed we could get Danny Rose for cheap in the last year of his deal too
Its probably been said before now but you are bang on the money here

You will get laughed at

What are you basing that on ?
Well, James has done 6 years at TWO of the highest profile teams in the world, and has been top scorer at a World Cup, along with scoring one of the most famous WC goals of recent history... he also has one of the biggest social media profiles in recent history.

ADM had done 3 or 4 years at ONE of the highest profile clubs, and even now after a full career, and being a Man Utd and PSG player, has 1/5th the social media presence of James.

The PL are under severe pressure without doubt. Every international broadcaster will be looking at that, and seeing if the Chinese get a lower deal, and if they do watch them repeat. There will also be pressure on the domestic broadcasters to begin to follow suit and negotiate down. It's not the same product, Fans not being there makes it an inferior product. I was watching the darts for a bit last night, and it's not as good without fans so I switched off. They are within their rights to say they've paid for full stadiums and it's not beign delivered at all.

Wider than this, I would expect every commercial sponsor to be reviewing sponsorship deals. That doesn't mean they all cancel, but they are reviewed. It may mean some seek to to downgrade sponsor values. Clubs will not make this public, and will probably insist on confidentiality clauses, as once one sponsor gets wind of it, they will all be after it. This will be going on though. Those clubs who have signed relatively recent, and large new sponsor packages will be most suspectible (there's the smallest amount of customer loyalty).

I happen to agree with your broad picture too, the pressure placed on them gets worse. It seems twitter is full of experts who seem to treat FFP as akin to the commandments of Moses, as if ordained by god and passed down (and often seem to be American, perhaps they are just more au fait with regulation in sport). I saw the decision to merge years as a holding decision. It bought time, and allowed for some clubs to keep spending this summer without collapsing the market.

It also worked to the assumption, everything gets better by next March, or in reality everything is already better (so to show up in next March 2022's accounts which will show this season). I think thats an incredibly foolish assumption to have made. This really is the start of the process. Even when grounds partially re-open, with a couple of thousand allowed in, now allowed to sign etc, these people will not be buying merchandise. I also think uptake of commercial boxes will be greatly down. I don't see it recovering to pre Covid levels for some time.

I know some on here think we will be singularly punished. If everyone loses money and you punish one business not others, that looks like unfair competition and you end up getting sued at CAS. It's really that simple. CAS are an objective body, who couldn't care less who is the percieved favourites or have the most entitled fans etc. They look at the facts. If you have rules that favour certain clubs, and you enact those rules, you lose in court. City have just proven this.

It looks like we keep spending, within reason. And yes I expect the legislation around FFP to completely break down through this crisis. Above all else it is inflation busting legislation, at a deflationary period. It's just not needed.
I agree with all you said except the bit in bold

I expect USM to increase sponsorship of one club in particular
In these uncertain times the PL will not say a word,

I agree with all you said except the bit in bold

I expect USM to increase sponsorship of one club in particular
In these uncertain times the PL will not say a word,

I would agree with you, hence why I said "commercial" sponsor mate.

I do not really put USM into that category (or the deal Citys owners have done). They will be safe. Big commercial deals though, they are getting reviewed right now. Loopholes explored. And given there aren't sold out stadiums and it's a pretty inferior product, it's easy to imaginethem being downgraded.

People in football seem to think we came through it once football re started. We haven't even started the real problems that are going to come over the next 2 years as recession hits.

You are assuming we are finished spending
I would not be so sure
Carlo loves his 4-4-2 and has told Ricarlison he wants at least 20 goals from him this season

I don't want to be a know it all, but I said James could happen back in April.

There are lots of big names out there, who if they dont move, could also happen come late September. We are in a strong position in that we have filled most positions that need filling, We can negotiate very hard.

I'll put a couple of names out there- Coutinho, Bale, Koulibaly. If they have not moved in 4 weeks time, we might have a dabble.

Well, James has done 6 years at TWO of the highest profile teams in the world, and has been top scorer at a World Cup, along with scoring one of the most famous WC goals of recent history... he also has one of the biggest social media profiles in recent history.

ADM had done 3 or 4 years at ONE of the highest profile clubs, and even now after a full career, and being a Man Utd and PSG player, has 1/5th the social media presence of James.

You can’t use Instagram followers as a barometer for everything.

I don't want to be a know it all, but I said James could happen back in April.

There are lots of big names out there, who if they dont move, could also happen come late September. We are in a strong position in that we have filled most positions that need filling, We can negotiate very hard.

I'll put a couple of names out there- Coutinho, Bale, Koulibaly. If they have not moved in 4 weeks time, we might have a dabble.
I put a scenario up yesterday whereby BALE could sign
It would mean a bit of skullduggery financially wise but with USM its not impossible.
City were after koubailly but Messi might be the limit of their financial outlay.
Napoli are looking to sign the Arsenal CB Sokratis for free so maybe they are preparing for Koubailly exit
I know from media reports that Italian football is struggling financially
Usmanovs wallet and Carlo knowing the player well might make this happen
Couthino I do not think because of the scum connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back