Everton USA - Network of EFC Supporters clubs across the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair play to all of you but I don't envy the SoCal people. I was in LA for the derby and watching footy at 5am felt weird.

Derbies are definitely difficult on the west coast. The soccer bars in Seattle & west coast show the games on delay which makes it easier to pull the groups together sometimes. Early starts on Sundays are difficult even on the East coast though. Sometimes were in the Banshee at 7am on a Sunday for derbies.

Out of curiosity how is football (soccer) over there growing? Most importantly have Everton got a decent following over there? Be interesting to know whether its finally catching on in America?..

Definitely major progress being made. MLS is still growing and the TV coverage of EPL, champions league Fa cup etc here now is outstanding and the streams mean you can easily watch any game you like as well. It'll be interesting to see what NBC do with their coverage of the EPL. Currently Fox Soccer and ESPN have really helped grow the game here but Fox Soccer is very kopite centric. Their comedy show on being agent rodgers really took the biscuit.

No, do you want to start one?. Had another tampa Blue reach out on twitter ( â€￾@leningan )

Living in Liverpool just now but it will be first upon my list of things to do, if and probably when I live there again, if there is a reasonable amount of blues of course.

Definitely major progress being made. MLS is still growing and the TV coverage of EPL, champions league Fa cup etc here now is outstanding and the streams mean you can easily watch any game you like as well. It'll be interesting to see what NBC do with their coverage of the EPL. Currently Fox Soccer and ESPN have really helped grow the game here but Fox Soccer is very kopite centric. Their comedy show on being agent rodgers really took the biscuit.

I am also a little worried about how Fox will handle the WC once they take it over from ABC/ESPN after Brazil. ESPN does a good job making it popular, and as any American knows, ESPN, primarily through Sportscenter, sets the agenda on what is popular here, and they do cater to their own properties. Also a little worried about AlJazzera and whatever that other Arab channel is scooping up properties going forward. We will see.

We'll help support any efforts to get something going in Canadian cities. The Toronto Toffees still have a site, but I'm not sure whether they are actively meeting in the pub Scallywags for games at the moment.

There's usually a few of us at Scallywags for a game, but since the founder of TorontoToffees moved to Edmonton, it's been rather wishy-washy. Probably needs someone to actively promote as there are (at least) several hundred Everton fans in Toronto but few know (or perhaps care) about getting together to watch the games.

Any volunteers?

There's usually a few of us at Scallywags for a game, but since the founder of TorontoToffees moved to Edmonton, it's been rather wishy-washy. Probably needs someone to actively promote as there are (at least) several hundred Everton fans in Toronto but few know (or perhaps care) about getting together to watch the games.

Any volunteers?

Getting them to join and interact in a Toronto Toffees fb group would be a great way to revive it. Think that would help? Someone will step up if there's some kind of momentum going again.

Out of curiosity how is football (soccer) over there growing? Most importantly have Everton got a decent following over there? Be interesting to know whether its finally catching on in America?..

Major progress has been made over the past 10-20 years. Don't get me wrong, football is still sort of a "niche" sport in many places over here, but the popularity is light years beyond where it was when I was a kid. MLS teams average around 18,000 a game (with Seattle regularly banging out crowds of 50,000), which would have been unthinkable in 1990. Premier League matches are shown on ESPN, Fox Soccer and occasionally on the major broadcast networks. I live in a city of about 300,000, and there's a growing community of fans. The local pub where we congregate will get a few hundred in there for big matches.

I guess the bottom line is that the game is nowhere close to challenging the more "traditional American" sports leagues in terms of overall popularity, but it's much, much bigger than it was in the past.

Nice work Dermot!

With regards to the popularity of soccer / football in America - when I go by a field (soccer, American football, baseball, or multi-use) in Seattle 90% of the time the people are playing soccer.

Derbies are definitely difficult on the west coast. The soccer bars in Seattle & west coast show the games on delay which makes it easier to pull the groups together sometimes. Early starts on Sundays are difficult even on the East coast though. Sometimes were in the Banshee at 7am on a Sunday for derbies.

It's not so bad where I am (Lexington, Kentucky), as the time difference is only 5 hours. A 3pm game at Goodison is at 10am here, so it's easy enough to get together for breakfast at a pub or sit on the couch sipping coffee. The Monday night games are irritating, as they start in the middle of the workday. I usually end up watching from the Fox Soccer app on my phone and trying to look busy.

Most importantly have Everton got a decent following over there? Be interesting to know whether its finally catching on in America?..

Totally forgot to address this. I only know one other Everton supporter in my immediate circle. Around here, you get a lot of people who follow the "easy" ones (Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, RS), then a sprinkling of fans of other teams. I have friends who support West Ham, QPR, and Stoke.

It's not so bad where I am (Lexington, Kentucky), as the time difference is only 5 hours. A 3pm game at Goodison is at 10am here, so it's easy enough to get together for breakfast at a pub or sit on the couch sipping coffee. The Monday night games are irritating, as they start in the middle of the workday. I usually end up watching from the Fox Soccer app on my phone and trying to look busy.

DVR my friend. DVR. Record the midweek 3 pm (EST) games, stay off GOT and ESPN at the end of the day. Go home, eat dinner, play with the kids, watch Everton take 3 points as if its live. Easy peasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back