Match Thread Everton v Arsenal - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do they toss up? I've never noticed it before the kick off. It looks as though Everton wins it almost every time. I mean, why wouldn't the
opposing captain choose to kick to the park end when it's clear that Everton prefers to kick there?

If you win the toss you can pick a side to attack first or pick to kick off or not. If you choose to kick off other team gets to pick sides.

Its pretty unusual for teams to pick a side rather than kick off but it seems to be becoming a thing.

Where do they toss up? I've never noticed it before the kick off. It looks as though Everton wins it almost every time. I mean, why wouldn't the
opposing captain choose to kick to the park end when it's clear that Everton prefers to kick there?
Everton prefer to be kicking towards the Street End in the second half because if they need a boost then it’s there: think back to Kendall’s words.

We’re usually not the best starters in the first half, so to lose that advantage of the crowd, however slim it may be, is an additional bonus. It’s quite savvy.

At Analfield, I’d always want them shooting towards the Kop in the first half, so if we had that chance then I would take it regardless of sportsmanship.

Can
Do you think you could ever manage a post without refering to our players as "brave lion hearts"? Its like every post you say it, kind of weird.
Because you’ve asked so nicely I will attempt to address the issue causing you so much emotional tumult...I cannot guarantee anything because my modus operandi when posting is very much of a ‘stream of consciousness’ style.
So should I lapse, and refer to our brave lion hearts as ‘our brave lion hearts’, please don’t let it grind your gears...it’s only a footie forum after all...

Poor game and atrocious passing but Dunc remains unbeaten and most of us thought we would struggle to get a point let alone five, so good times.
new manager now so hopefully we can draw a line under this and move on.

Everton prefer to be kicking towards the Street End in the second half because if they need a boost then it’s there: think back to Kendall’s words.

We’re usually not the best starters in the first half, so to lose that advantage of the crowd, however slim it may be, is an additional bonus. It’s quite savvy.

At Analfield, I’d always want them shooting towards the Kop in the first half, so if we had that chance then I would take it regardless of sportsmanship.
Yes, I understand and know all of that, I've been an Everton supporter for over 60 years. What I want to know is, where does the toss happen - I haven't noticed
it on the ground for many years . I don't see any advantage in kicking off first and I doubt that there is any, usually. So, I've never been able to understand why Everton almost always gets to kick to the Gwladys in the 2nd half, because the opposing captains would know that Everton prefer to and would choose to attack the park end in the 1st half. Everton very rarely kick to the park end in the 2nd half, and on the law of averages it isn't likely that we win the toss that often.
It's the same across the park. Liverpool almost always get to attack Breck Rd end in the 2nd half. I wonder if there is a toss up at all, or is there another
arrangement.

Last edited:

Because you’ve asked so nicely I will attempt to address the issue causing you so much emotional tumult...I cannot guarantee anything because my modus operandi when posting is very much of a ‘stream of consciousness’ style.
So should I lapse, and refer to our brave lion hearts as ‘our brave lion hearts’, please don’t let it grind your gears...it’s only a footie forum after all...
It clearly isn't a lapse and it is a bit irritating.

Yes, I understand and know all of that, I've been an Everton supporter for over 60 years. What I want to know is, where does the toss happen - I haven't noticed
it on the ground for many years . I don't see any advantage in kicking off first and I doubt that there is any, usually. So, I've never been able to understand why Everton almost always gets to kick to the Gwladys in the 2nd half, because the opposing captains would know that Everton prefer to and would choose to attack the park end in the 1st half. Everton very rarely kick to the park end in the 2nd half, and on the law of averages it isn't likely that we win the toss that often.
It's the same across the park. Liverpool almost always get to attack Breck Rd end in the 2nd half. I wonder if there is a toss up at all, or is there another
arrangement.
Firstly, I would presume it takes place at the centre circle when the captains go over to the referee as it does in most matches, although I don't pay attention to it.

I suspect the main reason why Everton (replace us with most other teams) have played towards their desired end is sportsmanship - it benefits most clubs.

The coin toss allows a team to either choose the end or kick off in the first half, but in reality the decision was simply to decide who kicked off the game.

If clubs regularly went against this practice like Leicester and Arsenal have recently done, it would mean that their home games people are likely to do it to them.

To be fair, we have done it Analfield in the past few seasons (the Jagielka goal), but in most instances we probably abide by it, so we get the Street End at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back