Everton v Crystal Palace. 7th Dec at 20:00.

How do you reckon we will get on?

• Win

Votes: 146 71.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 34 16.7%
  • Lose

Votes: 24 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
vevqh.jpg

There is one different thing about this team v. the "Everton that" teams of the last 20 years.

This team seemed pretty angry last night at the final whistle. Not Kone ... he seemed delighted with himself for some reason ... but many of the others looked mad. Because they know they are better than Palace and they didn't win.

It's frustrating now of course to watch in real-time but I choose to focus on the one difference I can find: this team doesn't think the last two draws were supposed to happen because we're upper-mid-table Everton and we win some and we lose some and then we finish 5th-8th. This team (most of them) expect and demand more.

Now that might not be enough. "Everton that" is a powerful force that's undefeated in the last 20 years. But hell if this group of players can't reverse our fortunes I think we're doomed.

Was trying to be optimistic there and I've ended it with "we're doomed." Oh well. Everton that.

vevqh.jpg

There is one different thing about this team v. the "Everton that" teams of the last 20 years.

This team seemed pretty angry last night at the final whistle. Not Kone ... he seemed delighted with himself for some reason ... but many of the others looked mad. Because they know they are better than Palace and they didn't win.

It's frustrating now of course to watch in real-time but I choose to focus on the one difference I can find: this team doesn't think the last two draws were supposed to happen because we're upper-mid-table Everton and we win some and we lose some and then we finish 5th-8th. This team (most of them) expect and demand more.

Now that might not be enough. "Everton that" is a powerful force that's undefeated in the last 20 years. But hell if this group of players can't reverse our fortunes I think we're doomed.

Was trying to be optimistic there and I've ended it with "we're doomed." Oh well. Everton that.

nicely put, about on par with my feelings too.

A bit more bite & passion generally will do us good: successful teams all have that sort of stuff in spades.

I was impressed but frustrated last night that we didn't try another option late on. Someone mentioned Kone being pleased, whilst he's been playing well, we should still be taking the likes of him off and trying Mirallas or Lennon to give the opposition something else to to think about.
Not that I'm a premier league coach, but last night after about 60 mins our tactic was to charge forward get to their box and pas wide to Gerry. Yes we scored once, but it became too predictable, we needed another option, top teams do tactical switches to try to unlock defences, RM seems to value 'loyalty' to players over a change. That's the benefit of 3 subs, being flexible.
It would be interesting to compare our subs/time introduced to those teams currently above us. (Any nerds out there) we've finally got a bench, we should use it more.

vevqh.jpg

Better or bigger definitely the latter you have to build a bridge. Sometimes size & history counts for nothing in this game & the underdog gets a say.

Of course the attacking football is brilliant, we've effectively abandoned defending completely. 2 at home to Sunderland, 3 v Bournemouth, 2 to West Brom, 2 to Barnsley, 2 to Watford, 3 at home to United, 2 at home to City,

Quite simply we have s champions league attack and a championship defence which is why we're ninth. Goals conceded stat doesn't show the full picture. City will get walloped for four on an off day but then grind out clean sheets for scruffy wins. Our defence systematically leaks one or two goals per game always at crucial times. It gets to the point where if you're 0-0 or 1 up at 80 mins you cannot trust our defence to see out ten mins of football at Goodison. A far far less talented side in 04/05 would go one up and both teams knew it would be difficult for the opposition to score. Not so now, any team of any standard home or away knows that they can score a goal at any minute as we're weak through the middle, weak down the flanks, don't close down shots, don't clear our area well, don't defend set pieces, and have a comedy keeper. These are not signs of a top team and it is why we've not beaten any top ten sides. Some people on here might be happy with the abandonment of that dirty word 'defence', but if we continue we will only end up in one place, exactly where we are now. This magical 'click' moment everyone talks about is not arriving if we fail to defend any better. The attack looks great, is that going to get any better? No, in all likelihood injuries loss of form and bad luck could be found the corner for any of our forward players. Are our defence going to suddenly magically tighten up to accommodate for this? No. If anything teams like United are more likely to click as their forwards come into form and fitness but they have retained their defensive solidity. This allows you to rattle of the wins needed to get top 4 rather than playing gung Ho football that looks like Barcelona for 45 mins then Brentwood for 45 mins. No consistency = midtable, and that is not down to 'young inexperienced players', it's down to an incomprehension of how to defend for 90 minutes at the highest level.
ere ere-until we learn how to defend corners we will always be under pressure. And while we are at it keeping possession from throw ins. How many times do we throw the ball down the line for Lukaku/Kone to nod on to nobody. Move around as if your life depends on it until you get space to take it to feet and build again by keeping the ball, not 50/50 launches--its simple football, pass and move--then use the extra ability in front of goal.

It is most strange that we never seem to get goals like the ones we give away. all our goals are a flash of creative brilliance or incisive passing... all 'their" goals are sloppy marking or goalkeeping errors... funny that...

Thought Cleverley was great and so unlucky not to score....what happens when McCarthy returns? Do we play these 2 with Barry or be more adventurous? Thought Ross played very well and is improving all the time. Frustrating game yes but well done Blues - get that defence sorted.......Anyone !!!
McCarthy in, Cleverley in for Kone. As much as Martinez loves Kone, he loves Cleverley more.

McCarthy in, Cleverley in for Kone. As much as Martinez loves Kone, he loves Cleverley more.
Problem with that is Kone actually makes room for Lukaku and makes Lukaku more dangerous. We need someone capable of being in support of Lukaku and stretch opposition defenders. If we revert to how is used to be then Lukaku will have an extra defender on him and will be out the game for long periods. Don't think Cleverly can do that job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back