Match Thread Everton v Southampton - Preview, Match Report and MotM poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Southampton usually start the season well. Coupled with our obvious weaknesses, I can't see us winning this. Hope I'm wrong and a full goodison helps, but if we start badly it could get toxic and we could end up on the end of a pasting. First goal is, as always, hugely important for us today.

Come on you blues. I'm going for a decent 2-0 win. I'm expecting to see a fairly defined formation and some grafting today - solid and unspectacular but showing that Benitez is addressing the fundamental issues with the team.

Long season ahead and I want to see grit and determination in the players from the start.

I cant get optimistic or pessimistic because I have no idea what the team will likely be. I just hope we don`t have too many of our best players out.

Southampton usually start the season well. Coupled with our obvious weaknesses, I can't see us winning this. Hope I'm wrong and a full goodison helps, but if we start badly it could get toxic and we could end up on the end of a pasting. First goal is, as always, hugely important for us today.
Unbeaten in our last 9 season openers

Unbeaten in our last 16 home games against Southampton in the league

Southampton have only won once in 14 season openers

Southampton only have 1 away win in 2021 and have lost their last 5 away games

Benitez is undefeated in his last 4 games against Southampton

Unbeaten in our last 9 season openers

Unbeaten in our last 16 home games against Southampton in the league

Southampton have only won once in 14 season openers

Southampton only have 1 away win in 2021 and have lost their last 5 away games

Benitez is undefeated in his last 4 games against Southampton
Doomed!!!

I am going for a 2-1 win here. Not because I think we are going to be great but mainly because I don’t think you need to be that good to beat Southampton in their current state. I would settle for a workmanlike performance, everyone doing their job, a recognised system of play and a bit of commitment. No injuries.

Start brightly but then fade and can’t get the ball for about 20 minutes. Jeered off at half time.
The crowd force us to up the tempo in the second half and Townsend scrambles one in following a corner. We hang on for grim death and scrape a 1-0 win.

I’ll be revisiting this post later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back