Match Thread Everton v Southampton - Tuesday 17th September - 19:45

I'm disappointed to say that I don't think we should make any effort to win this game as staying in the premiership is 100% more important than winning the only domestic trophy we've never won. I had really hoped and expected that we'd have had a better start to the season but given we sit on a grand total of zero points then we need to prioritise the game against Leicester.

With that in mind (and in the absence due to lack of fitness of Branthwaite and Patterson) then I'd start O'Brien (in case we need him to start against Leicester), play Beto up front (to save DCL and to give the Beto an opportunity that unfortunately I expect him not to be able to take), I'd get Garner some minutes, so too Lindstrom , Dixon and Virginia (Pickford needs a breather). I'd start Doucoure too in order to keep him ticking over. Basically rest the first eleven.

If Southampton want it, then let their first team play against our second eleven - I still think we can win the game but but I'd rather have the three points at the weekend.
the difference at this stage between this season and last season is 1 point and even with a points deduction last season we survived very easily

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back