Match Thread Everton v Swansea. 24th Jan at 1330.

What do you identify the Wirral as?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we please delete this thread? Just its mere existence is giving me hives and shortness of breath. The sooner we remember or speak of this game, the better.

Onward and upward. Big game tonight

Ah right i didnt think it was a particuarly bad half and we were only losing due to a Howard error. I think its no coincidence our home form is so bad and the booers booing everything.
People get frustrated because the team are playing crap and have been for 18 months. It's not like everyone just turned up and started booing for no reason on the first day of the season against Watford.

To be fair to you, this is one of the most stupid posts that I've read on here. Different people handle criticism in different ways, some people are motivated by it, some people are crippled by it. It has no reflection on their ability to do a specific task or there strength of mind or character. The best managers are those that recognise which players need a bollocking and which players need an arm round the shoulder. Barkley is clearly a confidence player, he needs reassurance and encouragement. Stones is generally coolness personified but he was all over the shop on Sunday as a result of the crowd getting on his back. There is no point shouting abuse at players during the match. It never makes them perform better and generally makes them perform worse. Getting so wound up is also pretty embarrassing for an adult. You should learn to control your emotions better. It's only a game.
I think you mistook my sarcasm for anger, old boy. Either that or you're making a purile attempt at wumming.

Suffice to say we disagree completely re the rest. It's your prerogative to simply dismiss contrary opinions as stupid, but players should be capable of completely filtering out the crowd and just getting on with their jobs - clubs employ sports psychologists for exactly this reason and it's hardly a new development. Clive Woodward was doing similar things in rugby back in the 1990's as part of his "T-Cup" (Thinking Clearly Under Pressure) mental coaching model. If they CAN'T rise above the crowd and the atmosphere, how come we currently get getter results AWAY from home, in front of 30,000+ crowds of opposition fans all screaming abuse at our team all game long?

There is a world of difference between a critical atmosphere from your home crowd and a volley of negative criticism from your coach. One of them should be water off a duck's back for anyone who's job involves appearing as a performer in front of audiences of 40,000 people.

I think you mistook my sarcasm for anger, old boy. Either that or you're making a purile attempt at wumming.

Suffice to say we disagree completely re the rest. It's your prerogative to simply dismiss contrary opinions as stupid, but players should be capable of completely filtering out the crowd and just getting on with their jobs - clubs employ sports psychologists for exactly this reason and it's hardly a new development. Clive Woodward was doing similar things in rugby back in the 1990's as part of his "T-Cup" (Thinking Clearly Under Pressure) mental coaching model. If they CAN'T rise above the crowd and the atmosphere, how come we currently get getter results AWAY from home, in front of 30,000+ crowds of opposition fans all screaming abuse at our team all game long?

There is a world of difference between a critical atmosphere from your home crowd and a volley of negative criticism from your coach. One of them should be water off a duck's back for anyone who's job involves appearing as a performer in front of audiences of 40,000 people.

More BS, rugby players don't receive anywhere near the level of abuse that footballers do. Simply doesn't happen. Thinking clearly under pressure is about making the right decisions even though it is a tight game and there are 80,000 people watching. Footballers obviously need to be able to perform in front of large crowds, they also need to be able to perform in front of hostile away supports, getting abused by your own supporters is completely different.

Certain players are clearly effected by receiving abuse from them home supports. That is just a fact. Saying they shouldn't be effected ignores the reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back