Match Thread Everton vs Chelsea - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Presume Dele isn’t going to start many games so that we dont have to pay any money to Levy. It would be intriguing to know the exact wording. I wonder if he could come on after one minute. If we have 5 subs not a big deal but would no doubt annoy Levy.

It really is.

Dele has played central as the CF in pre-season. None of Gray, Gordon or McNeil have. We have no target to hit. Dele is good in the air and around the box. None of Gray or Gordon are, and McNeil hasn't got a huge track record for it despite his goals last week.

We're going to have to play it on the deck, against Chelsea...
Mate is Dele winning aerial balls vs Koulibally - nope. So why the flying f should we set up to hit a target man, we're gonna sit in two deep blocks and try to use pace on the counter obviously

Mate is Dele winning aerial balls vs Koulibally - nope. So why the flying f should we set up to hit a target man, we're gonna sit in two deep blocks and try to use pace on the counter obviously
Of course he isn't, but it does give you some presence, someone who knows how to find space in those areas.

Maybe McNeil, with his height, can give us that outball. I just feel we needed a burst of pace to bring on from the bench and, likewise, someone who has actually played as kind of a CF for us recently to start in that role...

A lot of pace on show for us tonight with hopefully a solid back line. Quite looking forward to this opener without Richie and DCL in the line up, I am hoping we play with a bit more freedom and really take it to Chelsea. We may get battered but honestly that line up isn't bad.....and we've got a few more incomings to add to it. New era lads, good luck to our toffemen COYB.
Lampard will be forced into a change within 30 minutes. Now way Gordon can hold the ball up in the striker's position.

Dunc saying he knows Gordon wants to play centre forward.

Christ.

…thought it was an option we should’ve explored last season when short on numbers. He’s not going to win headers or impress with his back to goal but he’ll certainly have defenders wary running the channels and spinning behind them.

Just hoping we can stay in the game for as long as possible, I think Chelsea will be very difficult to keep out.

and if Frank wants to use dele, bring him on after the hour so he can pick passes as the spaces open up.

Its not good but needs must. Keep the ball on the floor and move it quickly. 0-4

Not sure I agree with the idea of Dele being a big threat as a target man but I’d have still started him. Just saying I can understand going with Gray as well. Neither are ideal options
Not as a target man, but he has that ability to find space in the area and get on the end of crosses, as he's shown quite recently and in his days at Spurs...

We'll see how it goes. I wasn't confident today regardless but do feel that's a strange selection with the very limited options we have available.

Status
Not open for further replies.