Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Youth Teams Thread

I know we only really have Kyle john & Joe Anderson as our under 23 fullbacks, and its pretty obvious they arent up to standard.
Is there anyone in the under 23s that could maybe have the skill set to play at full back if required? maybe even retrained to play that position, i know thats abit of an out there idea for someone like Unsworth, but you would think with Seamus' age he would think 'there is a pathway for someone there into the first team squad, maybe player x has the right attributes for that position'

A large majority of full backs are not actually full backs at youth level, you just need to look at Alexander Arnold or Aaron Wan Bissaka

Could Reece Welch move to right back? Does he have the pace?
What about someone like Whitaker dropping back?

I know we only really have Kyle john & Joe Anderson as our under 23 fullbacks, and its pretty obvious they arent up to standard.
Is there anyone in the under 23s that could maybe have the skill set to play at full back if required? maybe even retrained to play that position, i know thats abit of an out there idea for someone like Unsworth, but you would think with Seamus' age he would think 'there is a pathway for someone there into the first team squad, maybe player x has the right attributes for that position'

A large majority of full backs are not actually full backs at youth level
Basically no. It was Thierry Small but he's gone. According to the echo, we were trying to buy a young left back in this window so expect that rumour to come back in January.

Onyango back running so hopefully back playing soon enough.
should be opportunities for some youngsters this season due to lack of transfer activity you'd think.
I think there would have to be a major injury crisis for some of the younger players to feature looking at the bench for Huddersfield and Brighton and the likes of Dobbin and Whittaker not to feature on the bench was a worry.w
Will be interesting how long onyango takes to get up to full fitness

A large majority of full backs are not actually full backs at youth level, you just need to look at Alexander Arnold or Aaron Wan Bissaka

Could Reece Welch move to right back? Does he have the pace?
What about someone like Whitaker dropping back?
Perhaps the player most likely to fit your criteria is Stanley Mills. He may have been injured this time last year but he’s made huge progress the past 8 months, strong, pacy, right footed but I’ve also seen him use his left. He’s good enough to retain his position at right midfield because of his attacking ability, it’s whether Unsworth will try him at right back, I think he will. Matt Mallon is the other right back , but he seems to be stuck in the u18s at the moment. Ironically John may be a blocker now, but Mills is worth a go at right back.
For me John is too weak defensively, we’ve cleared a CB spot for Welch with Ouzounidis moving on so don’t need to play him at right back , although he’d be good defensively but not attacking wise. Definitely not Whitaker , his potential lies in his ability to score and create goals while still contributing his share of tackles.

What the hell are the coaches in the Academy doing?

The whole Academy needs revamped, lack of quality coming through must be awful
We seem to get people in to help with the revamp but for whatever reason they don't stay around long just like the guy we got from derby who jumped ship to spurs within a few months

On the topic of full backs, does any body ( @ZG756 ?) know anything about first year Scholar Edward Jones, who I think was down as a left back for the u18s last game. He’s come up as defender/ centre back so I’m not sure. With Nkounkou and Small going it appears to me that throughout the club we only have Digne as a natural left back and the 15 year old Schoolboy Ishe Samuels-Smith, no wonder we’re rumoured to be after a left back ….. and a right back ….and a…

Probably because he wanted to revamp and there was to much reluctance from anyone else to actually change everything when they have it so cushy
Naw, that doesn’t make any sense. He was Head of Academy Recruitment, reporting to Steinsson , who reports to Brands, who brought him in , they’re hardly be likely to be reluctant to change or want it cushy. He was nothing to do with the coaching side or with Unsworth, Ebbrell, Tait . Spurs targeted him and offered him a better job is one explanation.

It appears from people who know more than me, that our Academy recruitment has been poor in terms of external incomings , offers made etc recently. I don’t know why this is and who sets that policy but it may well be part of the reason Chris Perkins left, although he made his name by setting up good local recruitment teams.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back