Everton Youth Teams Thread

…or, if he wasn’t 6ft 5in would he be involved at all at this level of football?

Its such a massive step-up, the physicality can take you so far but you also need to be very good and I’m less sure you can teach that. i think they can teach him to exploit his physicality to make him more effective. He’s got the ammunition, time will tell if he can bridge the gap.

I think to your first, the answer is very much no. Hes very decent in terms of technique, but not much more than that IMO. Hes decent, but I wouldnt say that.

However I just think his physique, and his athleticism is quite rare with someone who is ok at technique.

A lot of it is a mental game with him now, and believing he can influence games. It's good to see him running beyond the striker. He covers ground very well and that is an invaluable attribute with the way the modern game is played.

I wonder what the plans are with broadhead next year. I really like him as a player - but think he’s probably a level below the prem. wouldn’t be surprised to see him making Wales’s World Cup squad.

I wonder what the plans are with broadhead next year. I really like him as a player - but think he’s probably a level below the prem. wouldn’t be surprised to see him making Wales’s World Cup squad.
If the worst case scenario happens and we fall he would Probably do a job in the championship

…all the pitches at FF are exactly the same size and same surface as Goodison. Playing under lights at your home stadium with a bigger crowd than normal probably makes a huge difference.

Agree with your general comment, would Onyango do things too slowly for PL? I dare say he’d get up to speed, he’s certainly got the physicality. Been disappointed with Welch this season, more about his attitude than quality but he looks much better alongside Branthwaite.

I was about to ask how Welch looked next to Branthwaite.

Hes a year younger, could he go on loan next season or is there a chance he could push for a first team squad place in the next 12months?

I was about to ask how Welch looked next to Branthwaite.

Hes a year younger, could he go on loan next season or is there a chance he could push for a first team squad place in the next 12months?

…you know my feelings on loans, but I dare say it’s a possible.

Welch looked so good in last seasons FA Youth Cup against the likes of Chelsea and City, he’s got everything you need with physicality (size, strength, pace).

I really wanted him to press on this season but I’ve been a bit disappointed. I don’t know the lad, but wonder if he’s missing a bit of fire in his belly. A loan could break him or make him, Best I’ve seen him alongside Branthwaite yesterday (can’t help but be impressed with Branthwaite).

…you know my feelings on loans, but I dare say it’s a possible.

Welch looked so good in last seasons FA Youth Cup against the likes of Chelsea and City, he’s got everything you need with physicality (size, strength, pace).

I really wanted him to press on this season but I’ve been a bit disappointed. I don’t know the lad, but wonder if he’s missing a bit of fire in his belly. A loan could break him or make him, Best I’ve seen him alongside Branthwaite yesterday (can’t help but be impressed with Branthwaite).

I do wonder if Welch has been coasting a little. You're right to say he probably hasn't kicked on in his under 18's performances and to an extend under 23's games (which I've seen less of). Yet he's been in first team squads and even brought of the bench. So there is a bit of a contradiction. Pure speculation but I wonder if he's coasting (and on a slightly wider point you wonder if keeping players around, often playing under 23's for a period of time has been a bit of a broader pattern over recent years?).

The one thing I noticed in his favour is how tall he was, when he came on he looked at tall as Michael Keane, which catches your eye for an 18 year old. Like you, I'm nervous of loans, but Welch looks to me a "rolls royce" style defender who may need to develop a bit of a nastier edge. I watched an interview with Jose Baxter the other day, and he said when he went to Tranmere on loan, he saw the other side to Everton/PL. Lads fighting, at times literally to get that win bonus. I'm not sure that environment works for every player, or even improves every player, but sometimes it can put a bit of nastiness into a player.

I look at Brainthwaite, and yes he's a bit older than Welch, but I think his 15-20 games in the lower leagues has given him that bit of dog in him. So I probably wouldn't be averse to Welch going on loan.

Onyango just isn’t it for me right now. He loses out in too many challenges, isn’t always alert to danger & doesn’t use his size to dominate the abundance of small midfielders in that league. I want my centre mids standing out in U23 matches.

I wonder if he's one of these players, who never really dominates a game at any level, but translates his performances well to the first team? Sort of the anti-Liam Walsh/Lewis Warrington as it were, who were just too small to make that transition (obviously I hope Warrington proves me wrong on that).

I wonder if he's one of these players, who never really dominates a game at any level, but translates his performances well to the first team? Sort of the anti-Liam Walsh/Lewis Warrington as it were, who were just too small to make that transition (obviously I hope Warrington proves me wrong on that).

Depends. I’m just not all that sure what he’s meant to be good at as an 8. I’d rather see say Warrington than Onyango come off our bench in an injury crisis to midfield.

I don’t think size has much to do with whether you make it as a player, ability counts as well as determination to succeed otherwise lots of players would have packed in after being rejected for size including one of our best ever players Alan Ball.

I don’t think size has much to do with whether you make it as a player, ability counts as well as determination to succeed otherwise lots of players would have packed in after being rejected for size including one of our best ever players Alan Ball.

Size is a bit of an archaic way of assessing players. For years it was always the biggest, the strongest etc. that were pushed through but they always fell short on ability.

I think size makes a crucial difference mate.
I think there is a baseline of athleticism and technique required to make it as a pro.

You can play up to Champ level if you are really good at one or the other.

To reach PL levels you need to be both, and if you are slightly weaker at one then you must be exceptional at the other. Always room for a Modric to make it but even "weak athletes" like him can press, cover ground, and find space with quick darting movement.