Everton Youth Teams Thread

Was it a different Anthony Gordon on loan at Preston then?

…slightly different in that he’d already broken into the first team before then.

I hope a loan works out but it would be very rare for an Academy player to go out on loan & then play 50 games for us. Perhaps Osman & Barkley were exceptions as both had serious injuries as youth players. I just don’t see it as a positive at our club.

…slightly different in that he’d already broken into the first team before then.

I hope a loan works out but it would be very rare for an Academy player to go out on loan & then play 50 games for us. Perhaps Osman & Barkley were exceptions as both had serious injuries as youth players. I just don’t see it as a positive at our club.
I agree that not many of our youth players will "make" it here.

But I dont think a loan means they wont.

I think its stupid we let the likes of Dobbin, for example, waste away playing meaningless U23 football when he should be out gaining valuable experience as a pro.

I think its stupid we let the likes of Dobbin, for example, waste away playing meaningless U23 football when he should be out gaining valuable experience as a pro.

…it’s a difficult one. Loans are seen as a bit of a ‘La La Land’, where youngsters go to clubs and instantly impress. The reality is usually much different. Perhaps Liam Walsh’s spell at Yeovil was the exception.

Points are so valuable, the pressure so great that Managers are not looking after a loanees development. They don’t have time to bed-in, they aren’t allowed to make a series of mistakes or have poor games because other professionals are more reliable. Youngsters are leaving a club they are settled at with great facilities and training can be foreboding.

A loan has just as much chance of ruining than making. If we have a talent like Dobbin, he might be better training with top international teammates under coaches who understand him. If they are outstanding, it will shine through in training & they will get their chance.

You only have to look at sides like Chelsea to show that loans work when chosen properly.

You only have to look at sides like Chelsea to show that loans work when chosen properly.

…the big differences with Chelsea is they often win or get to the latter stages of FA Youth Cups, suggesting they have real talent coming through. Secondly, their PL teams regularly finish in the top 4, meaning they have a very strong squad that is very difficult for a youngster to force their way in.

The most talented players go on loan.

At Everton the most talented players stay at the club because Managers want immediate access to them.

…the big differences with Chelsea is they often win or get to the latter stages of FA Youth Cups, suggesting they have real talent coming through. Secondly, their PL teams regularly finish in the top 4, meaning they have a very strong squad that is very difficult for a youngster to force their way in.

The most talented players go on loan.

At Everton the most talented players stay at the club because Managers want immediate access to them.
At Everton no manager stays long enough to make a proper assessment of youth team players