Everton Youth Teams Thread

Very competent display although I wouldn't say anyone is making a massively strong case for PL inclusion. The one who does seem to be looking a class above is Holgate. Calvert-Lewin is having a good game. Niasse, I appreciate they are trying to keep him on display to get fit and get rid, but he is nothing more than a willing runner and no better than, say, a Duffus or a Henen. If he were a youth player I would expect him to end up at League One/Two level.

Lewin seems to have begun his Everton career well. We needed him last year as there was a clear gap for a striker. This year he is keeping out broadhead and Brewster. But hey they need to just be better!

That is a very very talented side !!! Almost any of them have been touted to crack the first team.. Except Niasse who is just wasting a spot! They need to keep him fit to be able to sell him off though.

....Lewin seems a bubbly, bright lad in interview and that attitude will help him settle. Watching him tonight, very much the traditional target man CF, really good shape to him and a good athlete. Back to goal has been tidy, good in the air, he's putting a shift in without being inspiring. He looks more effective than Niasse, his goal was presented on a plate by the United defender but he remained calm and tucked it away.

United coming into the game as the half went on, the Davies/Walsh axis terrier like. Dowell has quality but needs to get on the ball and in the game a bit more.

This is a well organised Utd side, and you can see they have individuals with good skills so it's posing questions to s as to how we break them down and score. These are the kind of games the U23s need ,I'd be worried if we were winning 5-0 every week. A good contest so far without being massively exciting.

Dyson seems to have bulked out a lot, compared to the odd occasion I remember from previous years. He looks much like a classic old school centre forward these days.

Re the game, I think the commentary is implying that Utd have stuffed the midfield and only have one forward which is making it quite a challenge to create chances.