Everton's medical facilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAlmightyFloater

Player Valuation: £30m
From The Guardian (Regarding Leicester's success):

"Good fortune has played a part in their injury record and made it easy for Ranieri to pick the same team, yet pinning everything on luck overlooks the expertise and technology within the medical and sports science departments at Leicester, where Dave Rennie, the head physio, and Reeves leave no stone unturned.

The club has invested in a Cryo Chamber unit, where players are exposed to temperatures of -135 degrees to aid their recovery. They use other technology that is more commonplace at the highest level, such as the Catapult GPS systemand Polar Team2 heart-rate monitors, regularly issue electronic questionnaires to gauge everything from energy levels to sleep patterns but, perhaps most importantly of all, strive to create an environment where everybody talks to each other."

http://www.theguardian.com/football...tory-premier-league-champions-claudio-ranieri

--

So reading this made me wonder about our own medical facilities and how much importance we - as a club - place on keeping high levels of fitness.

According to Injury League (last updated on 27 April) we're 3rd behind Newcastle and Liverpool... At least we're doing well in one competition, right?

160427.png

While you can't blame injuries alone for this awful season (save it for the Martinez threads lads), surely it has played a massive part.

So I just wondered what the medical facilities were like at Finch Farm? Are we investing in the latest and greatest technology like Leicester have apparently done?

I know FF is getting massively refurbished, with an extension to the medical facilities (see: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor.../everton-hope-bedrooms-players-finch-10987788 ).

Do we know what state the current medical facilities are in? Do we know what exactly the club is planing on adding? Do we think this has had an effect on our season?

Wouldn't trust any set of figures that has a ridiculous outlier like that of Newcastle. Either things aren't being reported correctly there or they do battlefield reenactments every training session with real muskets. Ten times that of Swansea?!?!

When you also consider that there seems to be no macro correlation between injuries and league performance according to those figures (Newcastle and Swansea poles apart and yet negligible form difference in the league really, with 2nd place Spurs in the middle) it would suggest that medical facilities are a smokescreen for underperformance

Its R&R areas. Allows the players to spend the evening prior to a game in a controlled environment where they can be monitored closely, rather than all just turning up on gameday in their own cars.

Other thing is, is Martinez not a bachelor or something in Physiotherapy? Could this be the among the root causes for some of our injury issues? Martinez knows best? We've struggled for fitness ever since Steve Tashjian left.

Wouldn't trust any set of figures that has a ridiculous outlier like that of Newcastle. Either things aren't being reported correctly there or they do battlefield reenactments every training session with real muskets. Ten times that of Swansea?!?!

When you also consider that there seems to be no macro correlation between injuries and league performance according to those figures (Newcastle and Swansea poles apart and yet negligible form difference in the league really, with 2nd place Spurs in the middle) it would suggest that medical facilities are a smokescreen for underperformance

Yet people are attributing at least a sliver of Leicester's success to their fitness and lack of injuries. I'm not saying they are closely related, but there is a link.

This table from the BBC in January (albeit slightly different in form) also has Newcastle top, or in this case bottom.

_87727419_injurytable_2.png

They might have had less injuries than other clubs but they have been more severe (i.e. Krul) so they probably aren't the best marker.

....I've expressed my insight into this, 'Everton have really good facilities and equipment but unfortunately nobody truly knows how to use them'. I doubt we'll see an improvement until the Club Doctor is replaced by somebody innovative and forward looking. The Club Doctor sets the strategy and ours is very much 'old school' and part of a bygone era.

....I've expressed my insight into this, 'Everton have really good facilities and equipment but unfortunately nobody truly knows how to use them'. I doubt we'll see an improvement until the Club Doctor is replaced by somebody innovative and forward looking. The Club Doctor sets the strategy and ours is very much 'old school' and part of a bygone era.

Every training session kicked off with 10 Star Jumps, a cigarette, and a pint of Guinness - what’s wrong with that?

We can have the best medical staff and facilities going but if the manager himself is not interested in getting the players to optimum fitness, because he doesn't wish to see a particular style of football played, then sadly it all comes to nowt.

Yet people are attributing at least a sliver of Leicester's success to their fitness and lack of injuries. I'm not saying they are closely related, but there is a link.

This table from the BBC in January (albeit slightly different in form) also has Newcastle top, or in this case bottom.

_87727419_injurytable_2.png

They might have had less injuries than other clubs but they have been more severe (i.e. Krul) so they probably aren't the best marker.

That table suggests to me that we've had a number of players that have been injured a whole lot. When you consider that this will include the likes of Hibbert, Pienaar and Gibson who are far from fundamental to our success and I question how big a factor it's really been.

Lukaku has been our main man this season and he's barely missed a game. Barkley has been almost ever-present, so it hasn't been 'that' bad imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.