Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 105 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,250 92.3%

• Total voters
I'm not 100% sure what your point is in bringing up previous chairmen/owners. A better comparison is between Everton's ownership and board and the owners/boards of other clubs in this era. Moshiri's tenure has been, at best, unconvincing in that context.

I thought we perhaps looking for a benchmark?

I thought we perhaps looking for a benchmark?
OK, probably the most reasonable current benchmark given recent versus historical success, new stadium builds, increasing commercial turnover etc.. is the current board at Spurs, that would seem a sensible comparison. Their stadium is built, there debt is huge, as will ours be, their turnover has increased substantially under ENICs ownership and they have qualified and contested the Champions League. There are disappointments and missteps as well at Spurs and currently they look to have overplayed their hand, with the financing of their stadium, their recent managerial woes and their squad management, but time will tell. We clearly aren't competing at the level of nation state and oligarch owned clubs like Chelsea and Man City or even at the level of American mega-sporting corporation run clubs like Man Utd and the RS (I suppose you would formerly have included Arsenal in that group but they are starting to resemble a Mike Ashley owned club), we're operating in the same sphere as clubs like Spurs, Leicester, Wolves etc...

Johnson and Moores are an irrelevance, unfortunately Kenwright is not, he's like dry rot, you can never fully get rid of it unless you burn the whole thing down. I would've respected Moshiri a lot more had he done that, it might not have worked but the status quo is not working either.

OK, probably the most reasonable current benchmark given recent versus historical success, new stadium builds, increasing commercial turnover etc.. is the current board at Spurs, that would seem a sensible comparison. Their stadium is built, there debt is huge, as will ours be, their turnover has increased substantially under ENICs ownership and they have qualified and contested the Champions League. There are disappointments and missteps as well at Spurs and currently they look to have overplayed their hand, with the financing of their stadium, their recent managerial woes and their squad management, but time will tell. We clearly aren't competing at the level of nation state and oligarch owned clubs like Chelsea and Man City or even at the level of American mega-sporting corporation run clubs like Man Utd and the RS (I suppose you would formerly have included Arsenal in that group but they are starting to resemble a Mike Ashley owned club), we're operating in the same sphere as clubs like Spurs, Leicester, Wolves etc...

Johnson and Moores are an irrelevance, unfortunately Kenwright is not, he's like dry rot, you can never fully get rid of it unless you burn the whole thing down. I would've respected Moshiri a lot more had he done that, it might not have worked but the status quo is not working either.

When you talked of a benchmark, I thought you were just talikg of Everton not bringing other clubs into it.

When you talked of a benchmark, I thought you were just talikg of Everton not bringing other clubs into it.
My point was that comparing the management of a club in this era to management from eras before massive TV rights deals and global exposure is pointless. We should be comparing ourselves to our peers.

Why doesn't moshri sack the board and bring in people with football nous

Makes me wonder why he's standing by whilst millions are wasted. It's akin to brewster millions
Brewsters million was $30 million dollars ? We spent over £50 million on Bolasie (inc wages). That's £25 million a goal.

Great film though ?

Massively grateful for BMD, but in general he’s been a bit of a disaster.

The reason we spent £1.7 million this summer is because we are close to breaking Premier League profit and sustainability rules. When you look at how short we are in some areas, with no cover, that is the reason.

Big spending Everton, essentially left in a vulnerable position because we have fallen foul of an accounting rule. To cap it off, our owner made his name as an accountant at Deloitte. It couldn’t be more “Everton” if you tried.

I’m not an expert on FFP, but if I was going to have a guess I’d say it was best if you can buy players who’s value would likely increase. So amongst others, we brought in Rooney, Walcott, Bolasie, Alan and Williams when we knew this wouldn’t be the case. I’ve moaned about FFP like the rest of us, but it didn’t need to be the hindrance it has.

And whilst Moshiri didn’t personally by those players, his decision making has been shocking. Hand picking a know all like Koeman to work under a director of football model. Clearly being determined to appoint Silva. He didn’t put in place his DOF, and go off their recommendations, he did it himself. And it’s been a car crash.

On top of that, he would spend loads of time pursuing players who it’s not clear the DOF or manager actually wanted, such as Zaha. When we were looking for a manager in the summer Tony Scott and Greg O’Keefe were clear that he could be swayed by an agent such as Mendes or joorabchian getting on the phone.

Then you look at the rest of the club. Promoting Denise as CEO when she had no experience of running a Premier League club, having previously run a community based charity. Leaving Unsworth in his role, despite him clearly wanting the main job full time and not bringing through anyone decent. You compare that to other takeovers, such as Chelsea were they brought in Keyon from united.

Other than new stadium it’s a complete and utter mess and Farhad is the one ultimately responsible.

Massively grateful for BMD, but in general he’s been a bit of a disaster.

The reason we spent £1.7 million this summer is because we are close to breaking Premier League profit and sustainability rules. When you look at how short we are in some areas, with no cover, that is the reason.

Big spending Everton, essentially left in a vulnerable position because we have fallen foul of an accounting rule. To cap it off, our owner made his name as an accountant at Deloitte. It couldn’t be more “Everton” if you tried.

I’m not an expert on FFP, but if I was going to have a guess I’d say it was best if you can buy players who’s value would likely increase. So amongst others, we brought in Rooney, Walcott, Bolasie, Alan and Williams when we knew this wouldn’t be the case. I’ve moaned about FFP like the rest of us, but it didn’t need to be the hindrance it has.

And whilst Moshiri didn’t personally by those players, his decision making has been shocking. Hand picking a know all like Koeman to work under a director of football model. Clearly being determined to appoint Silva. He didn’t put in place his DOF, and go off their recommendations, he did it himself. And it’s been a car crash.

On top of that, he would spend loads of time pursuing players who it’s not clear the DOF or manager actually wanted, such as Zaha. When we were looking for a manager in the summer Tony Scott and Greg O’Keefe were clear that he could be swayed by an agent such as Mendes or joorabchian getting on the phone.

Then you look at the rest of the club. Promoting Denise as CEO when she had no experience of running a Premier League club, having previously run a community based charity. Leaving Unsworth in his role, despite him clearly wanting the main job full time and not bringing through anyone decent. You compare that to other takeovers, such as Chelsea were they brought in Keyon from united.

Other than new stadium it’s a complete and utter mess and Farhad is the one ultimately responsible.

I take issue with the "big spending Everton" comment.

Weve spent £42mil net a season, that should be far lower in fact if our DOF could sell players for half decent fees.

We arent actually "big spending" whatsoever.

Agree with the rest of it.

I take issue with the "big spending Everton" comment.

Weve spent £42mil net a season, that should be far lower in fact if our DOF could sell players for half decent fees.

We arent actually "big spending" whatsoever.

Agree with the rest of it.
Net transfers may be modest but wages are big too (compared to our league positions)

Being better than Kenwright is no real mark of approval.
appreciate the money he’s put in but we are run dreadfully from top to bottom now.
The club is an absolute shambles.
I'm not sure you could even say he is better than kenwright. The only attribute he has improved on is wealth. Has been an utter disaster in everything else.

Net transfers may be modest but wages are big too (compared to our league positions)

Tke our wages as £75mil and take off £25mil which is £480k a week.

Remove Delph, Sigurdsson, Tosun, Rondon and Gomes and id imagine thats around the same.

That would put us at 12th in the league.

Obviously we would need to replace players to improve but that shows roughly where we are.

@catcherintherye has us at 12th for spending since brands came in and if we shift those 5 donkeys (3 are out of contract in the summer) then were also around 12th for wages