Financial Fair Play investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
As stated I am reliably informed the deal is done.

My understanding of this investigation into us is more to do with window dressing to satisfy some outstanding queries at a time when the Premier League is petrified of government intervention following the recent White Paper into the game. There's no chance of any material penalty this season in terms of a points deduction.

Rick Parry the EFL Chair has made clear their revised funding deal is all but done and is itself a cover for the Premier League to present the football world as one happy family. The top clubs are literally giving away a billion pounds to create that illusion.
Ok Charlie, I know I'm going to regret this but I will play the game. And how do you know all this amigo?

Of course they will.

That's like saying that the only thing that matters in a RTA inquiry is the moment of impact.

Any charge will be about 2021/22, but that doesn't come about in isolation.
If there was a loop hole like that every team and their dog would try it on.

They’re not going to say “Yeah, ok… you broke the rules, but you are heading in the right direction so we’ll say no more about it”

You’re seriously trying to compare an RTA inquiry with an investigation into a financial enquiry.

😂😂😂

Ffs mate, I think you should step back and only think about the upcoming matches like you keep saying you’re going to do.

Have u considered that the strategy may have been to overspend and then sell the stadium according to the rules of FFP? It was said at the time that they had planned to sell the stadium when they did. It wasn't like there was much risk of the sale possibly falling through as the owners were selling the club to themselves. I don't think there was any risk of being in a heap of trouble. The worst case scenario was that if Villa did not get promoted they would have had to sell players to increase revenue.
Perhaps and maybe that's why the spending was permitted to the levels in thst season- new owners would have had meetings with the Football League at the time of takeover. Tighter restrictions would have been likely had new owners in summer 2018 said "FFP? We're not bothered about that".

All the same a counter factual in which there was no Fixed Asset loophole would probably have seen Aston Villa miss promotion. A heap of trouble well who knows but the loophole shouldn't ever have been opened in the 1st place.

The hole minus the Stadium sale would have been around £30m. The wage bill rose as did rhe Amortisation but may still have left £15-20m to find to 2019.

Last edited:

It is hilarious though as we have kinda been on a transfer embargo for a year or two now anyway. The reality is we have known we cant spend much on players due to being ‘close to the line’, hence why we were all apparently in touch with the Premier League over any signings and or contracts.

I can’t see us getting a transfer ban for this reason, it won’t help us and it won’t help them. A transfer ban would stop us bringing in players which we haven’t really been able to do properly now since Koeman, and if we can’t sell players, then that’s detrimental to being able to make the club profitable again, I.e, sales of Richy, Kean and Gordon. I expect we would want rid of Pickford and DCL, if we can get him back fit and scoring goals. They are now our biggest assets. Oh and Onana too.

However, a points deduction has never been performed in the Premier League. That again, sets a bad precedent for now and the future. Who would be next to follow? Chelsea? Bournemouth? Aston Villa? Manchester United?

I expect a few years long investigation and once everyone is happy Everton will get a fine into the millions and be told never do it again. The rules will then be re-written to include what punishment any future offenders will have to incur. As of right this second there is not a true punishment for this offence, it’s simply put, opinions and a guessing game.

It is hilarious though as we have kinda been on a transfer embargo for a year or two now anyway. The reality is we have known we cant spend much on players due to being ‘close to the line’, hence why we were all apparently in touch with the Premier League over any signings and or contracts.

I can’t see us getting a transfer ban for this reason, it won’t help us and it won’t help them. A transfer ban would stop us bringing in players which we haven’t really been able to do properly now since Koeman, and if we can’t sell players, then that’s detrimental to being able to make the club profitable again, I.e, sales of Richy, Kean and Gordon. I expect we would want rid of Pickford and Dominic Calvert-Lewin, if we can get him back fit and scoring goals. They are now our biggest assets. Oh and Onana too.

However, a points deduction has never been performed in the Premier League. That again, sets a bad precedent for now and the future. Who would be next to follow? Chelsea? Bournemouth? Aston Villa? Manchester United?

I expect a few years long investigation and once everyone is happy Everton will get a fine into the millions and be told never do it again. The rules will then be re-written to include what punishment any future offenders will have to incur. As of right this second there is not a true punishment for this offence, it’s simply put, opinions and a guessing game.
Oh yeah once you start with points deductions e.g. for FFP then that sets a benchmark moving forward.

Premier League monitoring is soft as hell. How much did Everton spend in Jan 2022 to summer 2022...a true monitoring requirement would constitute no fees or loan fees payable- see the Football League for this and other such measures.

A transfer ban could be is use to keep a club in line but if a club were on track to breach without sales then that side should he enforced even with a transfer ban. Not that a club could be forced to sell but they could be punished for the subsequent breach/overspend.

Oh and hiring and firing Benitez then maybe Lampard coming and going wouldn't have helped the position either. It all counts.

Last edited:
Good job we've got morally upstanding Denise running the club to ensure that we don't take the grubby money of gambling companies.

If there was a loop hole like that every team and their dog would try it on.

They’re not going to say “Yeah, ok… you broke the rules, but you are heading in the right direction so we’ll say no more about it”

You’re seriously trying to compare an RTA inquiry with an investigation into a financial enquiry.

😂😂😂

Ffs mate, I think you should step back and only think about the upcoming matches like you keep saying you’re going to do.

giphy.gif

La Liga can't have a "forward looking FFP" when £500mill of £1.5billion of TV money goes straight to Barca, Real, and Athletico, the dominant top 3 for over a decade, even despite Barca and Real being in the mire financially.

And you think they're gonna deduct points or fine Barcelona? No chance. Theyve slap them with "you can sign or register players"...and they go an sign and register players anyway.

Bottom line is La Liga is very much in the same boat as the PL. It's a brand that can't afford to punish teams to the level of the EPL as they don't want to scare away the money

Slaps on the wrists all round.
Problem is the decision is being made by an independent regulator not the PL. Nobody has much of an idea what is going to happen. It might actually be in our best interests to go down this season. Stay up and be found guilty and we could receive a point’s penalty that will send us down coupled with a lawsuit from the club that finishes 3rd from bottom for a huge sum. We would have no chance of attracting investment and finishing the stadium. It would be the perfect storm scenario that could send us into administration.

Kind of ironic that these Profit and sustainability rules put in place to protect football could financially ruin one of the leagues founding members

Problem is the decision is being made by an independent regulator not the PL. Nobody has much of an idea what is going to happen. It might actually be in our best interests to go down this season. Stay up and be found guilty and we could receive a point’s penalty that will send us down coupled with a lawsuit from the club that finishes 3rd from bottom for a huge sum. We would have no chance of attracting investment and finishing the stadium. It would be the perfect storm scenario that could send us into administration.

Kind of ironic that these Profit and sustainability rules put in place to protect football could financially ruin one of the leagues founding members
The commission isn't wholly independent if it uses PL juducial panel members - which it will.

And there's no way its in Everton's interests to go down at any point.

We have to stay up this season and see what the PL's cat's paw throws at us. All the talk about points deductions has been well overplayed. The commission can use any punishment it likes - if it concludes there's a need for it.

If relegated there would still be the small matter of complying with EFL FFP too and demonstrating how this will be done.

1) Income down £50-60m maybe. Parachute v regular PL cash?
2) FFP gap falls by £22m...because while to 2023 it's £105m £35m x 4/3 or £35m x 3 for the Championship it would be £35m + £35m + £13m.

What could be lost in the Championship season would be very much contingent on what was lost in 2021-22 and 2022-23...do Everton players have relegation clauses etc?

Stay down a further year and the headroom shrinks again...£35m + £13m + £13m and Parachute Payments I think are down by £10m in Year 2 so that's another £32m swing/squeeze.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.