Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s such a basic thing to see that we need 3 in midfield though, it was the easiest thing to do tactically to match them up in that area, no one would’ve had any arguments if we played 4-3-3 and were just beaten by the better team. But we made it very easy for them by surrendering control of the game playing the way we did. It’s not like the 4-4-2 was justified in the end, we were absolutely terrible.

Honestly though, who did we have who could play in there? Allan wasn't fit. Gbamin? Again is he fit.

It would have had to have been Onynago, which would have been a huge call.

Bang on half way through the season. Lampard got 29 points from 19.
Tuchel got 38 from 19.

Lampard lost 6 in 29.
Tuchel lost 5 in 30.

So 3 wins difference which is a decent chunk.

But tuchel is considered one of the very best managers in the world, and I think his quality kind of overshadows what Lampard had done for Chelsea as a new manager learning his trade.

I think he has enough about him to keep us up, and start to build something.

That's fair. I liked what I've seen but its not a huge sample.

The one thing I'd say is that the experience route has hurt us badly with recent appointments. We need to find the next good manager and let them establish themselves here. The only way we get the next top manager is by finding them and giving them a chance before someone else does.

There are also no risk free choices here. Everyone is a risk to some extent. This is lower risk for me though.

Just looking at the stats...

I dont think Lampard got much of a 'new manager bounce'. It would likely have been the opposite with him playing untested kids and also having the negativity of losing Hazard and not being able to sign players.

The media were predicting 6th - mid table for Lampard at the time...not top 4 in his first season.

I think weve discounted that Lampard played expansive football as well while Tuchel has got the new manager bounce and really gone back to the 'Mourinho type setup' of safety first.

Tuchel also has those kids Lampard brought through who are 1-2years more experienced now...plus hes had those big money signings adapt to the league.

Dont think their records are as far apart as people are suggesting.

The main point with lampard is simply that it’s really difficult to judge how well he’s done. You obviously like him and so you look at the whole thing through that prism, but the reality is his career in management has been very short and in a lot of ways quite weird (the massive jump from derby to Chelsea, the transfer ban, the foot in the door to loan Chelsea players in the championship, no crowds etc, none of that is typical) and so far we’ve seen some good and some bad. It’s really difficult to know how he’d go about a job like this and what his style really is.

It's also worth saying, the quality of young player at Chelsea is far beyond anything we have here, and none of that is down to Lampard either. I mean, I'm quite an advocate for our young players, but Chelsea are levels ahead. He had James, Mount and Abraham waiting to be introduced. We have to be honest and say, we dont have players of that quality in reserve.

So yes, he had a transfer ban, but he inherited a good team, that came 3rd under Sarri, and had very good young players ready to introduce. He did well to come 4th, but I wouldnt say it was a miracle, as some characterise it as.

He feels a big gamble to me. Short term I worry. Longer term I actually think he might do ok, but again this is just guesswork, as hes never actually been anywhere long term.

Just looking at the stats...

I dont think Lampard got much of a 'new manager bounce'. It would likely have been the opposite with him playing untested kids and also having the negativity of losing Hazard and not being able to sign players.

The media were predicting 6th - mid table for Lampard at the time...not top 4 in his first season.

I think weve discounted that Lampard played expansive football as well while Tuchel has got the new manager bounce and really gone back to the 'Mourinho type setup' of safety first.

Tuchel also has those kids Lampard brought through who are 1-2years more experienced now...plus hes had those big money signings adapt to the league.

Dont think their records are as far apart as people are suggesting.

Their PPG league records I'd imagine are quite different?

We are currently 7 points off 10th! I’m being very optimistic I know but it’s possible
Yeah but we'd have to keep that up all season. Getting 7 points in the next few games doesn't gaurentee that form continues. Big ask to get into the top 10 now mate. We've had our worst ever start to a season since the great escape when we stayed up on GD. We're only 2 points better off after the same amount of games. Top 10 would be Ancelloti start of the season form til end of season

It's also worth saying, the quality of young player at Chelsea is far beyond anything we have here, and none of that is down to Lampard either. I mean, I'm quite an advocate for our young players, but Chelsea are levels ahead. He had James, Mount and Abraham waiting to be introduced. We have to be honest and say, we dont have players of that quality in reserve.

So yes, he had a transfer ban, but he inherited a good team, that came 3rd under Sarri, and had very good young players ready to introduce. He did well to come 4th, but I wouldnt say it was a miracle, as some characterise it as.

He feels a big gamble to me. Short term I worry. Longer term I actually think he might do ok, but again this is just guesswork, as hes never actually been anywhere long term.
Yeah that’s how I see it really. He feels like the best candidate on the shortlist to me, but he wouldn’t have been on my shortlist.

Allan came on in the 50th minute, I have no doubt he could’ve started and maybe played 60-70 mins.

I would be very doubtful of that mate. Theres a big difference starting a game and playing 70 mins, that doing 40 in the 2nd half.

I mean, he could have played Townsend centrally and Richarlison wide right.

Yeah that’s how I see it really. He feels like the best candidate on the shortlist to me, but he wouldn’t have been on my shortlist.

The short list is the issue. But honestly, I'm not massively worked up whether its Duncan, Lampard or Pereira as honestly theres not a lot between them to me.

I happen to think Rooney might be the best all round manager (of the names mentioned) but doesnt seem he wants it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back