2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does Villa attract Emery and we're stuck with Lampard? It wasn't so long ago we attracted Ancelotti...
Any manager who goes to a new club will want assurances over spending.
Something we can no longer offer.

We absolutely lucked out getting Ancelotti. We won’t be getting anyone near that calibre of manager again (just as we hadn’t ever done before in our history).

The problem of our team is not just on the players. On the player side, I would say Benitez and Lampard both expected wrong on DCL. They expect him to come back strong but it has been two years. I think we should not count him anymore. In the worst case, I would write him off.
On the tactical side, Lampard still does not find the balance of the team. If we play 9-0-1, the defence must be improved a lot but it doesnt help to have a win. We do not lack of finishing players but also on set pieces players.

I think there are quite a few parallels here from when Arteta took over at arsenal

They were awful at the start and were down at the bottom for a while, but he was given time to build, to get his players in and look at them now.

We should be doing the same with Frank, give him time, not this kneejerk call to rip everything up again and start anew for the I don't know how many times it is now.
There is the small matter of over £200m Arteta was given to spend over two summers, which probably helped just a tad, and which no manager here will be getting anything close to for a long time yet.

Tim.

Its a rebuild.

Coady + Tarks = Solid experienced players

McNeil + Onana + Garner = Young player to develop

Gana = Over the hill but potentially a decent rotation stopgap for 2 seasons while the kids develop

Maupay = Makes no sense

I can understand slating the bottom 2...but why the others?

He looked to be a 6 for Forest and England u21s ? More so than an 8.
I only really rate the 2 defenders. Garner has been a pointless signing. Gueye is enormously overrated by Evertonians. Onana was a punt we couldn't afford in our position.

Maupay and McNeil are just bad football players. And the age argument makes no sense for McNeil. He's been around for ages and had well over a hundred premier league appearances. He's not going to come good and suddenly develop. He is what he is - a one paced, one footed, championship player.

The recruitment was horrific and thats not hindsight. A lot of us knew it back in August and were shouted down.

While I don’t think we can continue with this sacking managers all of the time, if we were to replace him would it be too much to ask to have a replacement ready first. Spending weeks searching while looking like a circus doesn’t do us any favours.

He will probably get until the end of the season and in my opinion he should. A goal scorer purchased in the January window will lift us mid table.

Status
Not open for further replies.