Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Goats squad analysis thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any chance he'll bin off this 2 gk nonsense now the window is closed?

GK
Coleman
Nkounkou
Sigurdsson
Bernard
Davies
King
Gomes
Delph or if injured onyango/small

Manager : Carlo Ancelotti

GK

Jordan Pickford (HG)
Robin Olsen
João Virginia (UA)

RB
Séamus Coleman

LB
Lucas Digne
Niels Nkounkou (UA)

CB
Yerry Mina
Michael Keane (HG)
Mason Holgate (HG)
Ben Godfrey (HG)

Mid
Allan
André Gomes
Abdoulaye Doucouré
Jean-Philippe Gbamin
Gylfi Sigurðsson (HG)
Tom Davies (HG)
Fabian Delph (HG)
Muhamed Bešić

Widers
Richarlison
James Rodríguez
Bernard
Alex Iwobi (HG)

ST
Dominic Calvert-Lewin (HG)
Joshua King (HG)

Total players: 24

Players culled so far: 17

Schneiderlin, Stekelenburg(OOC), Martina(OOC), Garbutt(OOC), Feeney(OOC), Niasse(OOC), Baines(Retired), Dowell, Gibson(loan), Kean(loan), Walcott(loan), Sandro // Branthwaite(loan), Bolasie(loan), Tosun(loan), Kenny(loan), Lossl, Gordon(loan)

Players purchased so far: 7
Nkounkou, Allan, Hamez, Doucoure, Godfrey, Olsen // King

Non-HG players: 12
Homegrown players:10
UnderAge players: 2

Max 17 Non-HG players in 25 man squad, UnderAge players aren't included in 25 man squads.

Not 100% certain on Kings HG status.
I'm not exactly a fan of King, but when you look at our squads pre window and post window, you have to say that it now looks more streamlined and better balanced.

King definitely offers more than Tosun as back up to DCL in my opinion. Also, if we wanted to play a more conventional 433 when James is either unavailable or rested, then I think it's fair to say that King offers more goal threat from the right than Iwobi does. Gbamin getting back to fitness also possibly gives us another dimension in midfield, allowing us to play a more adventurous game with attacking full backs. Still big questions marks over how he comes back from an 18 month lay off, but this could have a bigger impact on the rest of our season than King coming in.

My only question mark is Gordon going out on loan. With our injury record I worry that we are leaving ourselves short, as there is literally nobody within the youth set up remotely ready to step up. But it is clear from the weekend game that Carlo clearly doesn't trust the lad, so at least he will hopefully be getting some game time out on loan.

With the cull almost complete, surely we can bolster the squad with 3 or 4 top quality 1st team players.
They're all on loan for the most part so our hands our still tied at some level until they're off the books permanently.

Besic, Walcott and Bolasie and a suite of overaged U23 players (Pennington, Connolly, Adernirnan) have their contracts expiring as well. Should free up some decent wage space.

Finally starting to look a decent squad. Now need to move some of these loans in the summer, cull some of the waste (Delph, Bernard, Sig, Gomes?)and add more quality and pace in Rb, CM and RW/CF(depending how King does).

tenor.gif
Calling all Jan Micheal Vincent Keanes!

Looking at the squad now, with most of the rubbish gone, we have good cover for GK, LB, CB (assuming Olsen comes in for a small fee)

RB is an immediate concern in the summer, we need a starter and another young Nkounkou type, but suppose Coleman can provide backup for another year. But 1 RB should be the priority.

CM is still a bit of a concern too. After Allan & Doucoure the drop in quality is quite big. I think we need another top quality player here.

Also the wide areas. I like Iwobi but him and Richarlison havent set the world alight and although James and King can also play wide. A proper top wide player is a must.

Olsen
RB
CM
LW/RW

Looking at the squad now, with most of the rubbish gone, we have good cover for GK, LB, CB (assuming Olsen comes in for a small fee)

RB is an immediate concern in the summer, we need a starter and another young Nkounkou type, but suppose Coleman can provide backup for another year. But 1 RB should be the priority.

CM is still a bit of a concern too. After Allan & Doucoure the drop in quality is quite big. I think we need another top quality player here.

Also the wide areas. I like Iwobi but him and Richarlison havent set the world alight and although James and King can also play wide. A proper top wide player is a must.

Olsen
RB
CM
LW/RW
Feels about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back