Goats squad analysis thread 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how does it work for the 25 man squad we have to submit in the end ? Do players like Dobbin, Branthwaite, Virginia and Cannon still qualify for the U23 ? And what about the young Portuguese lad ?
Each squad contains no more than 17 players who do not fulfil the "Home Grown Player" (HG) criteria. The rest of the squad, up to a total of 25 players, must be "Home Grown".

The 6 players marked with UA are named in the U21 squad, there is no limit to the amount of those you can name.

Under-21 players are eligible over and above the limit of 25 players per squad. For the 2023/24 campaign, Under-21 players will have been born on or after 1 January 2002.

Other than how terrible we are at recruitment, yeah we could look at both. I honestly don't think we need it, though mate.

Priority wise I'd say.

1. Striker
2. Another Winger
3. Attacking Mid
4. Defensive Mid
5. Full Back (Left or Right)

In an ideal world, we'd bring 2 or 3 of them in with the top 2 being a priority, but I'll be shocked if we do.
CB is a worry as well, Tarks gets injured and its mid table championship level

Other than how terrible we are at recruitment, yeah we could look at both. I honestly don't think we need it, though mate.

Priority wise I'd say.

1. Striker
2. Another Winger
3. Attacking Mid
4. Defensive Mid

In an ideal world, we'd bring 2 or 3 of them in with the top 2 being a priority, but I'll be shocked if we do.
1: Ekitike / Beto loans with options
2+3: Gnonto can play both roles
4: Want to see us go back for Wharton (Blackburn) and if possible George Hall (Birmingham).
5: This makes no sense.

How a CB isn’t the priority after a striker when 3 of our CBs are Keane (who is currently considered first choice), Holgate and Godfrey absolutely astounds me.

Dyche loves Keane and we’ve got 5 CBs so I don’t see us signing one. Hope I’m wrong cos you’re absolutely right, but I think we’ll have to sell Godfrey or Holgate to sign one and other than a loan for Holgate to Southampton, there doesn’t seem to be any interest.

Priority wise I'd say.

1. Striker
2. Another Winger
3. Attacking Mid
4. Defensive Mid

Assuming Beto links are just fluff (they are coming from mega unreliable sources) and Etikite links are agents/Moshiri playing with the French media we are left with:
1) Daka looking most likely - could be affordable, most likely on loan to buy
2) + 3) Gnonto - covers both position well, and with Harrison fully fit, he can play 10/11
4) I'd argue is a much lowe priority than CB, but Emi Martinez from Mitdjylland has been linked earlier in the season. Any movement on that could happen late in the window or possibly January
5) No need for a fullback this season, but January might be a good time to bring one in.

I have a feeling it'll be Gnonto and Daka with a European loan CB or free transfer CB on deadline day

Assuming Beto links are just fluff (they are coming from mega unreliable sources) and Etikite links are agents/Moshiri playing with the French media we are left with:
1) Daka looking most likely - could be affordable, most likely on loan to buy
2) + 3) Gnonto - covers both position well, and with Harrison fully fit, he can play 10/11
4) I'd argue is a much lowe priority than CB, but Emi Martinez from Mitdjylland has been linked earlier in the season. Any movement on that could happen late in the window or possibly January
5) No need for a fullback this season, but January might be a good time to bring one in.

I have a feeling it'll be Gnonto and Daka with a European loan CB or free transfer CB on deadline day

I think most would be happy with that if we ended the window with those incomings.

Priority for the remainder of the window has to be:

1. Centre Forward
2. Centre Back

Then in January, start looking to replace next summer’s out of contract / retiree / loan return players:

1. RB (Coleman)
2. LB (Young)
3. DM (Gueye)
4. CM (Doucoure)
5. W (Danjuma)
6. W (Harrison)

I'm assuming this training match against United today will literally just be teams made up of kids/players returning from injury - United only played last night.

Firsts
Pickford
Coleman Tarkowski Branthwaite Young
Gana
Harrison Garner Onana McNeil
Cal-Lewin​
Is just about good enough to stay up with a bit of breathing room.

Seconds
Virginia
Godfrey Keane Holgate Mykolenko
Gbamin
Iwobi Doucoure Gomes Gray
Maupay​
Very probably isn't.

I realise there's a bit of licence taken involving Gbamin and overlooking Patterson. Dobbin, Cannon, Chermiti all young uns, and Danjuma is an unknown quantity for us at least (Harrison actually played last season). Alli not included because of the terms of his deal.

A wealth of options at the back but no one fancies half of em, clearly striker is paramount, but the lack of options in the middle to carry injury or poor form is scandalous now, and outright emergency next summer.

Firsts
Pickford
Coleman Tarkowski Branthwaite Young
Gana
Harrison Garner Onana McNeil
Cal-Lewin​
Is just about good enough to stay up with a bit of breathing room.

Seconds
Virginia
Godfrey Keane Holgate Mykolenko
Gbamin
Iwobi Doucoure Gomes Gray
Maupay​
Very probably isn't.

I realise there's a bit of licence taken involving Gbamin and overlooking Patterson. Dobbin, Cannon, Chermiti all young uns, and Danjuma is an unknown quantity for us at least (Harrison actually played last season). Alli not included because of the terms of his deal.

A wealth of options at the back but no one fancies half of em, clearly striker is paramount, but the lack of options in the middle to carry injury or poor form is scandalous now, and outright emergency next summer.
As I touched on last night, that "first 11" is more than good enough to keep us up.

The problem will be getting them all on the pitch at the same time and having somebody able to coach them to win games.

Manager : Sean Dyche

Goalkeepers (3)
Jordan Pickford (HG)
Andy Lonergan (HG)
João Virgínia (HG)

Right Backs (2)
Séamus Coleman
Nathan Patterson (UA)

Left Backs (2)
Ashley Young (HG)
Vitaliy Mykolenko

Centre Backs (4)
James Tarkowski (HG)
Michael Keane (HG)
Ben Godfrey (HG)
Jarrad Branthwaite (UA)

Midfield (8)
Amadou Onana (UA)
James Garner (HG)
Idrissa Gueye
Abdoulaye Doucouré
Alex Iwobi (HG)
André Gomes
Jean-Philippe Gbamin
Dele Alli (HG)

Wide Forwards (5)
Dwight McNeil (HG)
Jack Harrison (HG)
Arnaut Danjuma
Demarai Gray (HG)
Lewis Dobbin (UA)

Strikers (4)
Dominic Calvert-Lewin (HG)
Youssef Chermiti (UA)
Neal Maupay
Thomas Cannon (UA)

Total players (28)

Players purchased so far (4)

Young, Danjuma, Chermiti, Harrison(LOAN)

Players culled so far (1)
Simms, Holgate(LOAN),

Non-HG players (8)
Home-grown players (14)
Underage players (6)

Depending if he stays or not Onyango might have to be added as he has been involved in the match day squad of late. Still amazed we have 29 players but so many injured or not wanted

Manager : Sean Dyche

Goalkeepers (3)
Jordan Pickford (HG)
Andy Lonergan (HG)
João Virgínia (HG)

Right Backs (2)
Séamus Coleman
Nathan Patterson (UA)

Left Backs (2)
Ashley Young (HG)
Vitaliy Mykolenko

Centre Backs (4)
James Tarkowski (HG)
Michael Keane (HG)
Ben Godfrey (HG)
Jarrad Branthwaite (UA)

Midfield (8)
Amadou Onana (UA)
James Garner (HG)
Idrissa Gueye
Abdoulaye Doucouré
Alex Iwobi (HG)
André Gomes
Jean-Philippe Gbamin
Dele Alli (HG)

Wide Forwards (5)
Dwight McNeil (HG)
Jack Harrison (HG)
Arnaut Danjuma
Demarai Gray (HG)
Lewis Dobbin (UA)

Strikers (4)
Dominic Calvert-Lewin (HG)
Youssef Chermiti (UA)
Neal Maupay
Thomas Cannon (UA)

Total players (28)

Players purchased so far (4)

Young, Danjuma, Chermiti, Harrison(LOAN)

Players culled so far (1)
Simms, Holgate(LOAN),

Non-HG players (8)
Home-grown players (14)
Underage players (6)
Danjuma is a Loan
but Beto is coming to join him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back