Golf 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big slap on the back for Luke Donald.
Great captaincy through the 3 days 🥂👏
Took over after Stenson had to step down and he did an incredible job. I don’t think anyone gave us a hope after the hammering last time. But two things went in our favour. Our big guns contributed this time around and 9 of the American team hadn’t played competitive golf for a month. That is just downright complacent and they underestimated the European team to their cost.

I maybe going against the grain here, but I find it a little tiring every successful Ryder Cup it's always "Seve would be proud" or "Seve is looking down with his mischievous smile" or other such pap.

Get some new material ffs.

It is tiresome, they also do it after pretty much every shot Jon Rahm plays and used to do it with Sergio as well.

End of the day, this Ryder Cup was about three players. Rahm took three of four, Rory took four of five, and Hovland took three and a half from five.

Donald was solid as captain, and the rest of the European team sealed the deal, but reality is that those three beat us. They were immense.

End of the day, this Ryder Cup was about three players. Rahm took three of four, Rory took four of five, and Hovland took three and a half from five.

Donald was solid as captain, and the rest of the European team sealed the deal, but reality is that those three beat us. They were immense.

This is what i said beforehand, I felt those 3 had to bring home at least 9 points for us to have a chance and they brought home 11.5.

You need your top players to bring in at least 3, I think Scheffler only brought in 1 point didn't he? Max Homa your best on 3.5 and Cantlay on 2.5.

You can't win Ryder Cups when only 2 out of 12 players turn up.

This is what i said beforehand, I felt those 3 had to bring home at least 9 points for us to have a chance and they brought home 11.5.

You need your top players to bring in at least 3, I think Scheffler only brought in 1 point didn't he? Max Homa your best on 3.5 and Cantlay on 2.5.

You can't win Ryder Cups when only 2 out of 12 players turn up.
Yeah, Homa and Cantlay were our only standouts. Very impressed with Homa overall. They were rubbish in the first match, and then he went to war.

Harman took two from three alongside Homa. That is more or less why I wanted Glover. Functional best ball teams need steady Eddies who enable their partner to go after it, and putting is vital in alternate shot. Donald would always set up to punish Arnie's spray-and-pray approach, so Zach should have played into that and picked players with less length and more ability to drop putts.

I don't think it would have mattered to the result, because those three were too good, but the contest could have been closer with the right picks.

Yeah, Homa and Cantlay were our only standouts. Very impressed with Homa overall. They were rubbish in the first match, and then he went to war.

Harman took two from three alongside Homa. That is more or less why I wanted Glover. Functional best ball teams need steady Eddies who enable their partner to go after it, and putting is vital in alternate shot. Donald would always set up to punish Arnie's spray-and-pray approach, so Zach should have played into that and picked players with less length and more ability to drop putts.

I don't think it would have mattered to the result, because those three were too good, but the contest could have been closer with the right picks.

Yes I was very impressed with Homa, he showed great character and determination on away soil and produced some fantastic golf.

Cantlay played some fantastic golf yesterday, never let up on Rose who I thought was excellent to take that match to 17. A lesser golfer would have lost to Cantlay through 12/13

Harman done ok, though I thought he'd beat Hatton so that was a bonus point imo from Hatton.

Koepka was the usual Koepka, turned up 3 days too late. Spieth was all over the shop, Thomas really had to grind as you can see he's not in any kind of form he used to be. Schauffle just always looks like he'll crumble under any kind of pressure, Scheffler turned up too late, producing his best golf on the last day. Fowler apparently was unwell throughout and Clark was probably in a strop after playing well in the afternoon session on day 1 only to not make a spot in day 2 morning session. Morikawa showed just little glimpses but little more than that, same with Burns.

On paper the strength of the 12 was deep for the USA but those first 3 sessions was barely a contest and Johnson needs to look at why that happened and how he got the pairings so wrong.

I know. So the growing imbalance was made up by supplementing other nations.

It's be like England football team getting scrapped and a GB national team formed. As legitimate as that.
It can also be said that the Europe side has players who were educated and taught how to become top golfers through the American college system. Rahm, Hovland, Aberg and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back