• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Group A: Germany, Scotland, Hungary, Switzerland

by knockout stages you mean go home at the end of the group stages, surely
It was tongue in cheek but finish second or best third and you progress. It is quite difficult to get knocked out unless you’re really crap, which maybe a problem in Scotland’s case but you never know

Cup needs reducing back to 8 teams.
Yes, I can't take these preliminaries seriously. The better sides are merely playing for position in the draw. In the 1980s, the tournament was at its optimum size: 8 teams. Nobody qualified for that without being generally excellent (well, maybe England in 1988 and 1992, but you get my point). The opening match the last time this tournament was played in Germany was West Germany v Italy in 1988. A heavyweight confrontation. Tonight is a mismatch, and all for UEFA marketing. Basically, quality has been diluted so the Scottish fans - who are marvelous - can bring genuine colour and atmosphere to the "product". I'll be judiciously selecting my matches from here. Just Spain-Croatia for me tomorrow.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back