• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Group F: Turkey, Georgia, Portugal, Czech Republic

Yes. We'll all laugh at the fella who fell over it in the six-yard box, but the comedy attempt at a tackle on the wing before the cross came in was the start of a disastrous chain of events. Feeble stuff you might not see of a Sunday morning.
There was ample blame to go around on the winner. The first one was more a questionable goalkeeping decision and bad voodoo.

What does she call, uh... her own country?

It's always been Czechia for us as I said earlier, so this is just the same now when listening to English commentators.

We're the Czech Republic, Slovakia is Slovakia... none of this Czechia, Slovak Republic mess. Have to say, it was our first president and all around legendary good guy Havel who designated us Czechia with the UN and stuff.

But, you know, change scary.

It's one reason qualifying mattering was nice, before money got in the way.
Yeah, I still hanker for the 8-team Euros where pretty much every team had to go through fire and brimstone to qualify. That said, 16 was probably the sweet spot in terms of quality and marketing.

Now, we've just got a Frankenstein's monster of a format. Too much dross diluting the quality.

Well, as a boring old fart, I did say on Sunday that Poland had no Boniek. Well, these Czechs have no Nedved or Nehoda.

Do others find themselves comparing the current sides of central and eastern Europe unfavourably with the marvelous players of their past?

We're the Czech Republic, Slovakia is Slovakia... none of this Czechia, Slovak Republic mess. Have to say, it was our first president and all around legendary good guy Havel who designated us Czechia with the UN and stuff.

But, you know, change scary.

I didn’t know it was Czechia until recently

It was always Czech Republic to me

But then I’ve only recently started writing it as Türkiye so I’m probably not the right person to ask

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back