• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Group F: Turkey, Georgia, Portugal, Czech Republic

Yes. This is the deal-breaker for me. Him and the fact that Ronaldo will inevitably clog up the system with ego and obsolescence.
That’s the worry isn’t it. I can fully imagine a scenario where Ronaldo causes a bust up or Bobby is just too spineless to not play him when it’s not working.

As much as Portugal will be a threat, if Pepe and Ronaldo are starters then I think they can be ruled out as contenders to win.

Off the bench or part of the squad, different. But I wonder will they overpower their weak coach and become fixtures in the side despite being 40.

As much as Portugal will be a threat, if Pepe and Ronaldo are starters then I think they can be ruled out as contenders to win.

Off the bench or part of the squad, different. But I wonder will they overpower their weak coach and become fixtures in the side despite being 40.

Disagree somewhat on Ronaldo. We both know his metabolic age isn't that of a regular 39 year old, he's still in prime condition. Moreover, just look at what Stanciu did for Romanian the other day. Ronaldo has a better strike-rate than him in the Middle East. I actually quite fancy him to deliver one last time if he starts, especially considering Portugal's favourable group.

Disagree somewhat on Ronaldo. We both know his metabolic age isn't that of a regular 39 year old, he's still in prime condition. Moreover, just look at what Stanciu did for Romanian the other day. Ronaldo has a better strike-rate than him in the Middle East. I actually quite fancy him to deliver one last time if he starts, especially considering Portugal's favourable group.
The best counter argument isn't so much Stanciu and his one-off moment of brilliance, but the incredible performance of Ngolo Kante last night. Portugal, on the face of things, are major contenders, but then I put Pepe's presence, Ronaldo's presence, and Bobby Brown Shoes's presence together and start backing away slowly...

Then again, maybe Pepe doesn't play and maybe Ronaldo is inspired, as you say. But you've still got Martinez in there being cheerfully ideological...

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back