2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's been the worst player on the pitch every game for a long time now. No exaggeration from me either; legit the worst player.

He shouldn't be anywhere near the starting eleven on merit, but the only reason he is is because Silva is unwilling or uncapable of tactically adjusting, so he's just getting thrown in as the token number ten because we have no others.

He's horrendously bad.

The problem I see is that most of our losses have come when we're overran in the midfield. We play a high line defence and a 2 man midfield. We play any team with a 3+ man midfield, we're swamped and overrun.

Siggurdson doesn't drop into a midfield 3. He doesn't have the skill or ball control to play as a central midfielder so for the most part the game passes him by. You have to rely on the wingers/fullbacks getting up and down while he swans about barely setting foot back into his own half.

I think its a huge problem.

has a pass.... but the real issue is that he does not fit Silva's system. I alluded to this prior to this match in the last couple of days.... not enough discussion on it, in my opinion. It's a big issue. We have Siggy, a number 10, playing in a system which does not have a number 10 role. It needs to be discussed in great detail, and needs to be sorted by Silva (more importantly)

He was good for Reading, 'meh' for Hoffenheim, brilliant for Swansea, 'meh' for Spurs, brilliant for Swansea, now 'meh' for Everton.

Problem with Gylfi is that he's a bit of a luxury player that only looks good when he's the 'star', kind of like Zaha really. To elaborate on that, he only seems to be good when he is allowed a free role, with everyone wanting to pass to him. He doesn't work hard enough to get the ball, and isn't good enough at finding a man (and probably why he's only ever looked good when he's not expected to feed other players with creativity).

In short, he's not a top-8 kind of player. He'd suit a team like Brighton, Bournemouth or Huddersfield, who tend to want to play good football, but would happily let the team revolve around him.

Needs dropping for Bernard, or even Schniderlin change of personnel and shape could be important in the coming weeks. Hes been completely anonymous the last 2 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back