How Important is Baines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

USAtoffee12

Player Valuation: £1m
Now, before I get jumped on by everyone for saying this, I acknowledge that Baines is one of our most talented players and may in fact be our most talented player. I have his name on my shirt FFS. But really, after watching two of our best performances of the season come without him even on the bench, I wonder if we may be better off selling him over the summer. It seems like we are over-reliant upon his crossing and passing from the left when he plays which makes our play incredibly predictable. Without Baines against Sunderland and Man U we have played some cracking open football and really looked a balanced side.

If we get an offer over 15 million in the summer for him I'd take it in a heartbeat, spend 3-5 on a replacement and the rest on pienaar and donovan. Then we'd have a side that would be ready to make a real run next year.

What are your thoughts?

No more important than any other in a blue shirt. He is boss though. But needs a rest.

We've got too good kids coming through too over next twelve - eighteen months. Baines is still in his 20's.

No need to consider selling just yet.

Surely that means Moyes needs to tell the players not to play it down the left all day, rather than selling him because he's too good. See Ronaldo for Real, best player they have but they do not focus their entire game on him.

Surely that means Moyes needs to tell the players not to play it down the left all day, rather than selling him because he's too good. See Ronaldo for Real, best player they have but they do not focus their entire game on him.
Nail on the head in the third post. Brilliant.

Surely I wouldn't want to sell a player because he is too good. Rather, I think that we NEED Pienaar and could also use Donovan next year and to do that, we need to sell a player. I'm not convinced that Baines shouldn't be that player

Exactly....snag is we have Hibbert and Osman on the right....OR Baines/Pienaar on the left....who would you rather have the ball ? Just subconcious from Howard and the centre backs i think at the very least.

Distin didn't look great today, good effort after last week and didnt deserve a card but he's no way a left-back.

There was like zero crosses from left side today. Distin isn't up for those, therefore we really do need Bainsy there.

Agreed.

My guess is we'll probably have to sell someone over the summer because I don't think the January transfers were planned and budgeted for. Who that will be I don't know but I think if a big enough bid came in for any of our players it'd be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back