How will it end with Moyes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has a terrific eye for a player, he's excellent at buying good players for little money and balancing the books while doing so, and he seems to be able to foster a decent team atmosphere and work ethic within the camp of players working for him. We all moan about his favourites but that loyalty seems to be returned, Pienaar in particualr flourishes under him like he's never done elsewhere.

This.

And its one thing to find bargains in charity shops but you can't just expect someone to go to Harrods and shop just as well.

The belief and will to win at all costs mentality, being able to win when playing badly, being able to win games through tactics alone, being able to manage big time egos.

Skills needed at the top clubs but not ones which Moyes has shown he posesses enough of to warrant being deemed good enough to manage a top club.

Thats not to say he couldn't go to United and do well, you can never say never but for me he hasn't shown that he's the kind of manager a top club would need and i assume thats backed up by the fact he's so highly rated in the game yet presumably never been subject to a serious approach.

This.

And its one thing to find bargains in charity shops but you can't just expect someone to go to Harrods and shop just as well.

The belief and will to win at all costs mentality, being able to win when playing badly, being able to win games through tactics alone, being able to manage big time egos.

Skills needed at the top clubs but not ones which Moyes has shown he posesses enough of to warrant being deemed good enough to manage a top club.

Thats not to say he couldn't go to United and do well, you can never say never but for me he hasn't shown that he's the kind of manager a top club would need and i assume thats backed up by the fact he's so highly rated in the game yet presumably never been subject to a serious approach.

I agree entirely. One of the things I've always admired about him is that we can go on a bad run playing terrible football and losing consistently and he can snap us out of it and start us winning again which you see a lot of relegation standard managers just can't do. But at a top club that's not a useful skill, you have to win while playing badly, you can't afford to give a headstart to your rivals like that.

He's like you say much more appealing to a Villa or a Sunderland than to a Man U or a Chelsea.

If he has to keep selling players then he might end up walking. We now have a squad that can compete in top 6...if that is taken away from him, then i reckon he walks

BTW, Moyes post match interview:

"I could have been in a better position than this if I'd have picked up the three points against Newcastle".

Hahaha. Top class agenda driven posting. Ignore pretty much every interview he's ever given in his career, take the quote out of all context and highlight a point so ridiculously trivial that 99% wouldn't even notice it.

Hahaha. Top class agenda driven posting. Ignore pretty much every interview he's ever given in his career, take the quote out of all context and highlight a point so ridiculously trivial that 99% wouldn't even notice it.

Plus in context he was talking about how well the team had done (using third person to say they deserved to be up near the top of the table by how well they were playing) and then how he could have done better if he'd beaten Newcastle.

You could easily view that as him taking responsibilty for the draw himself and given the players responsibilty for the wins.

Plus in context he was talking about how well the team had done (using third person to say they deserved to be up near the top of the table by how well they were playing) and then how he could have done better if he'd beaten Newcastle.

You could easily view that as him taking responsibilty for the draw himself and given the players responsibilty for the wins.

You have defo seen the light.

Is right mate.

You have defo seen the light.

Is right mate.

I've always liked Moyes as a servant to the club. I just get annoyed with the tactics and the team selections and think we could do better. Picking on him for the pronoun used in a throwaway sentence in a match interview isn't cricket.

It's the same way I think we can do better than Hibbert or Osman but you won't find me knocking either of them personally.

I've always liked Moyes as a servant to the club. I just get annoyed with the tactics and the team selections and think we could do better. Picking on him for the pronoun used in a throwaway sentence in a match interview isn't cricket.

It's the same way I think we can do better than Hibbert or Osman but you won't find me knocking either of them personally.

Its Dave innit, everybody knows he has pictures of Kenwrong and Moyes on his bedroom wall.

Kenwright's a parasite doing a job he's nowhere near qualified for to our loss, Moyes is a solid manager who's done a generally decent job and is just massively overpayed.

I'd be happy to see them both leave but only one will go with my best wishes.

This.

Not sure I agree with that. We've won plenty of games when playing badly. All those 1-0 results are hardly a sign of a manager and team that can't win ugly. If anything it's the lack of champagne football we've been lacking.

For what it's worth I can't see him at a Man City type club either, because these kind of clubs generally buy their way to quick results rather than investing in the long-term. I don't think that's the right approach, and it's clearly not an approach that would suit Moyes well.

I just think it's sad that his lack of trophies are used as a stick to bash the man with. To win a cup you need to win maybe 6/7 games. To finish high up in the league takes 38. I know which I'd hold in higher esteem, and it's a fact that no club has consistently out done us during the Moyes era without spending vastly more than we've had available.

Sure teams like Portsmouth or Birmingham have sneaked a trophy but you'd think this was a regular occurence the way some carry on. If you look at the winners of the FA Cup since we won it in 95:

Man Utd - 3 times
Chelsea - 6 times
Arsenal - 4 times
Liverpool - Twice
Man City - once
Pompey - once

Hardly open season is it and you have to remember that Portsmouth had to beat Cardiff in their final, not Chelsea.

Even the League Cup, since Moyes was appointed, the only shock winners (ie outside the traditional big 4) have been Boro, Birmingham and Spurs.

The fact that Boro, Birmingham and Portsmouth are now outside of the top flight should be enough to show how risky it is to gamble all on a fluke cup win.

Moyes is a great disciplinarian, there's no denying that. I can defo see why Taggart wanted him at United as a number two. He's also got an eye for a bargain, again no question. Is he bold enough or sharp enough, though, to ever land us a trophy? The evidence suggests not. I dont see how that conclusion is unreasonable, tbh. In fact, it's more unreasonable to hold the opposite opinion.

Of course it's unreasonable. Look again at the teams that have won trophies during his tenure. We can discount all but Pompey from the FA Cup winners because they've all spent **** loads, so I hardly think their wins were down to managerial excellence.

Pompey had Redknapp in charge at the time, and his jaunt to the cup final contributed to their bankruptcy and tumble down the leagues. Hardly a ringing endorsement for his managerial calibre is it?

Of the league cup winners. Lets see, Boro were managed by Steve McClaren, who whilst I personally think he's a decent manager, he's ridiculed by many on here, and for his success in the Dutch league was not very good for England, Wolfsburg or Forest. Is he on a higher level than Moyes? I'd say there's as much in the no column as the yes one.

Brum were managed by the same guy that got them relegated the following season. Don't think that's much of a fight.

Spurs were managed by Redknapp, a guy that after bankrupting Pompey was turned down for the England job on account of being one dodgy mofo. He might have a 'winning' touch as you put it (and big financial backing from Levy), but I'd rather someone with Moyes integrity in charge of our club than a chancer like Redknapp.

So really Dave, who are these managers with the midas touch that we've missed out on by virtue of having Moyes in charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back